Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.
View Poll Results: What do YOU do when slowing to a stop?
Downshift through each gear while decellerating.
54.47%
I put it in neutral and just use the brakes.
38.04%
I don't know how to drive standard transmission, cuz I am a stupid n00b.
7.49%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Do you downshift when slowing to a stop?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:11 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually downshift 1 or 2 gears and let it ride the gear to a stop. But last night I had to stop real quick and knowing the brakes being not broken in and not stopping well yet, I had to downshift 4th-3rd-2nd and brake to do a semi hard stop. If I didnt do the engine braking I would had to try to swerve away from the car in front of me since I didnt want to slam on them new brakes.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

BAD, BAD advice.

Never coast a car in neutral. You are not in complete control.

"Well officer, I was coasting in neutral, so..."

The car should always be in an appropriate gear for the speed.

That is elementary safe driving technique.

Originally posted by Turbo442
Never downshift while coming to a stop sign! Try to learn how to pop the car into neutral with out using the clutch. Brakes are to slow the car down and cheap to replace. Clutches and transmissions are not cheap to replace. Look at two identical cars that have 100,000 miles. The first driver pops the car into neutral from fifth as he approaches a stoplight. The second driver downshifts through every gear.

Assuming each car has 100,000 miles = 30,000 stops. Avg/distance between stops = 3.3 miles

First driver: 30000 stops = 150,000 clutch actuations.
Missed 1% of all shifts = 1500 gear grinds.

Second driver: 30000 stops = 300,000 clutch actuations.
Missed 1% of all shifts = 3000 gear grinds.

Which car do you want to own if you had to pick between the two? Which car is going to feel tighter and have less drive train back lash?

Turbo442
Old Jul 16, 2003, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Rasputin
Again, as has been mentioned. 1st is non-synchro. That is why you can't downshift into first.

On a side note, I got yelled at by my mechanic at Mitsu for downshifting to slow down.
WHAT?

(1) There hasn't been a car for years that doesn't have 1st gear synchros. This is just WRONG.

(2) Your mechanic is an blathering idiot. Is he the one who told you there is no synchro in first?

Now wait, is this post just a joke? Are you fishing for reactions, because I am having trouble taking you seriously.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by skibum
Did you guys grow up with drum brakes?
Why would you ever downshift?
Brakes are so powerful today there is no need to downshift.
Any time you use anything mechanical there is wear.
This includes everything from your left shoe to the cv joints.
There are probably at least 50 items.
The fewer parts you use and the smoother the better for your car.
It would be just as useful to juggle tennis ***** while stopping.
Does anyone here downshift while racing?
I am guessing no.
My 2 cents.

After thought...
Maybe you guys have less wheel cleaner expense
Or MAYBE, people who downshift are just simply following one of the most ELEMENTARY rules of driving: being in CONTROL of the car.

A manual transmission car should always be engaged in the correct gear for the speed at which you are traveling.

Coasting in the wrong gear or neutral is potentially dangerous. Try using it as an excuse when you get involved in an at-fault accident. I guarantee it will get you in even more trouble:

Judge: Why were you not in full control of your car?
You: Well, I didn't want to wear out my brakes
Judge: Fifty years, no parole!

okay, I'm kidding about the fifty years...
Old Jul 16, 2003, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

I know a guy who teaches those driving schools. He's terrifyingly clueless.

Originally posted by skibum
Sorry about that you must be a little older.

I have been to four Porsche Club of America driving schools.
Never have I been told to downshift.
Heel and toe shifting is taught to match revs but, never to go thru every gear on the way down.

cupoznj made a good point about sequential gear boxes in racing.
Your street cars probably don't have sequential gearboxes.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by yannotmi
Since I am tired and this thread keeps going nowhere.....

ViceGripX has is twisted like many others. The thread says "What do YOU do when slowing to a stop?" Not slowing down behind a freakin retard bus, or grandma crossing the street.

Makes no sense in the world if you are around town doing 40mph in third gear to downshift to second to come to a stop at a traffic light.

Go back to driving school.
So you were told to coast in driving school?

Be careful, your cluelessness is showing.

Better cover up.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

To answer the question; Unless I just need downshift to keep the engine happy when traffic slows or for long down hill braking, I engage the clutch, select the gears to match my speed to engine requirements (should I need power), then use my brakes to actually slow the car. If and when I need power I release the clutch as I push on the accelerator. I never drive in neutral. It is and has been illegal to coast out of gear in CA. Consider being in neutral (like a "sitting duck") when trying to avoid someone running a red light or other urgent situation. Court is one thing getting "T" boned is another. I took my wife out of a standard and put her in an autotrans. because she would take her car out of gear too often.

Last edited by WildRice; Jul 18, 2003 at 09:12 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

actually I like to engage the parachute...

j/k but this is a loooong thread
Old Jul 24, 2003, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

I use the double clutch and match rpm technique, because it is extra smooth compared with just regular downshifting, and it creates a perfect engagement for the clutch!
Old Jul 25, 2003, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

i usually downshift to 3rd then when i'm about to stop, i pop it in neutral..... and yes i sit at the light with it out of gear... how on earth are you supposed to sit there for an entire light with it in gear and clutch in? that's crazy!
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Well after reading 9 pages I have not found a good reason to
downshift when stopping on the street.
Some of the reasons given are hilarious though.
"you might get hit by a retard bus from behind" WTF is that????
You could get killed by lightning too so you better just stay home.
You could get hit at anytime so do you always wear your helmet?
"You have more control" WTF is that? You should have your brakes checked if you can't control your car when it is not in gear.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by JeffGST

RallyArtGuy555 is completely right. When you let off the gas while in gear, the injectors shut off. Actually placing the car in neutral will cause you to waste gas. The reason is that if the engine was in neutral the engine would have to pick up the idle or else the engine will stall. Picking up the idle uses up gas.

You can easily see this if you had an exhaust gas temperature gauge. Travelling at freeway speeds net around 710C temps, and if you let off the throttle, the temps drop rapidly down below 500. If instead you just put it in neutral all of a sudden, the temps do not drop as fast because the engine is burning fuel to maintain an idle.

My advise, leave the car in the present gear while slowing down until the RPM drop to the idling area. That way you do not add stress to the transmisson by downshifting and you also extend the life of your brakes because the car slows down faster.

Jeff
Hope this makes sense to everyone
It doesn't cut off the injectors. It drops them down to the base idle speed pulse width. It uses just as much gas as being in neutral.

Josh
Old Jul 26, 2003, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by TragicallyHip
Well after reading 9 pages I have not found a good reason to
downshift when stopping on the street.
Some of the reasons given are hilarious though.
"you might get hit by a retard bus from behind" WTF is that????
You could get killed by lightning too so you better just stay home.
You could get hit at anytime so do you always wear your helmet?
"You have more control" WTF is that? You should have your brakes checked if you can't control your car when it is not in gear.
It is illegal to drive a manual transmission car on the streets without either being in a gear or being in between gears. You have to either be on the upshift, in a gear, on the downshift, or sitting still in neutral. Most cops don't know this, so you never really have to be worried about it from that aspect. It is the same reason that an automatic never drops into neutral on braking or coasting.

Now, if your Evo is experiencing the strange shut down during hard braking with the AC on or something similar to this, there is a better reason to downshift while braking. That problem is linked to insufficient engine vacuum, and by keeping the revs up by downshifting and braking, you will increase vacuum.

Also, it keeps you from having to get on your brakes so damn hard and saves wear and tear on them (but might cause wear and tear on your tranny in return).

Josh
Old Jul 26, 2003, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RalliArtGuy555

Let off your gas pedal, notice that 'jerk'. That is your fuel injectors cutting off fuel. Engine braking doesn't use any gas at all.
That "jerk" is caused by a number of things. One of them is caleld lash. Instead of riding on the front edge of your gear teeth in your tranny/differential, you are now riding on the back side of the teeth. Now, most gear tolerances are pretty damn tight, but it happens. Cars with Carbs still "jerk" when you get off the throttle in gear, do their fuel injectors shut off as well? Also, U-Joints and CV Joints will have some amount of slop in them that you can interpret as the jerking when you go from idle to cruise.

But it isn't the injectors shutting off.

Josh
Old Jul 26, 2003, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by TragicallyHip

Ever stopped on slick roads with it in neutral and have the car go into a slide? What is the best way to get out of that slide? Turn ingo it and match the wheel's rotating sleed with the speed you are traveling. What is quicker in that situation:

1. While you are in a panic to regain control of the steering wheel while being thrown sideways, you have to search for a gear to put the car in.............

or

2. While you are in a panic to regain control of the steering wheel while being thrown sideways,........oh, you are already in a gear........cool.

Also, the control comes from the ability to apply throttle at any time and get out of a potentially dangerous situation (such as a driver from behind who isn't paying attention).

Damn I need to stop posting on this one. This is like the 4th post in a row for me.

Josh

Quick Reply: Do you downshift when slowing to a stop?