Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

SST and auto-x (Ralliart, X MR...)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
SST and auto-x (Ralliart, X MR...)

Spun off this thread from something else... a pre-emptive strike to avoid being slapped by the moderators, hehe...

----------------

Originally Posted by Exyia
With the SST, you should never drop out of spool range. I am constantly over 4.5k rpm on auto-x, even on tight turns - in both the RA and the X.
How comfortable are you with downshifting the SST into 1st for auto-x? When slowing down to say 30km/h for a tight one, I have three options...
  1. Boring 2nd gear style, one pedal at a time.
  2. 2nd gear, left-foot-braking to keep spool up.
  3. 1st gear downshift.
So far, I haven't been game to try (2), after reading of SST temperature-related woes using LFB. Plus, I suck at it.

And (3) really trusts the SST to never get itself in a muddle. Grenading a manual trans with a sloppy 2nd-to-1st is inconvenient and embarrassing. Grenading an SST would be a sob story of epic proportions...

I've stuck with (1) so far... just getting on-throttle way earlier than I used to in my old n/a car, timing it so the torque curve gets up and boogies at the right point in the tight exit...

Rich
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was curious about the same thing. I did 1 with a bit of 2, but wasn't man enough to go first gear and find out how it reacts
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you guys have any course maps to be specific?

Not to be an ***, but I've never come across a corner so tight that I would run into this situation. only time I use 1st is launching off the start line
Old Nov 1, 2011, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, this certainly took some dredging of old HDD areas...

I'll admit, I found what was probably the most extreme example! But I didn't want this to turn into a discussion on lines, lol.

In truth, with the above course, you'd be going so slowly at that 180* turn that a flick into 1st wouldn't be all that mechanically unsympathetic. For sake of argument, here's a more borderline case...

With a low-powered vehicle, the 180* above was fine to take nice and wide. With the RA, I'd be keen to attack that with a sharper rotation at a lower minimum speed - more point-and-squirt. 2nd to 1st downshift would be the go - at least to compare back-to-back times between that and staying in 2nd all way round.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails SST and auto-x (Ralliart, X MR...)-ch5_old.png   SST and auto-x (Ralliart, X MR...)-ch9b.png  
Old Nov 2, 2011, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by richardjh
Wow, this certainly took some dredging of old HDD areas...

I'll admit, I found what was probably the most extreme example! But I didn't want this to turn into a discussion on lines, lol.

In truth, with the above course, you'd be going so slowly at that 180* turn that a flick into 1st wouldn't be all that mechanically unsympathetic. For sake of argument, here's a more borderline case...

With a low-powered vehicle, the 180* above was fine to take nice and wide. With the RA, I'd be keen to attack that with a sharper rotation at a lower minimum speed - more point-and-squirt. 2nd to 1st downshift would be the go - at least to compare back-to-back times between that and staying in 2nd all way round.

Rich
it's always interesting what other regions come up with as far as auto-x courses, which is why I ask. Here's an example of one of my local houston ones

http://www.houscca.com/solo/courses/nov11.jpg

I've never come across an extreme 180 like above, guess my officials just don't think that's smart course design. Hell to be honest I don't like those course designs at all

anyway, for that 180 in the first layout, I would ignore their arrows and take it like a normal wide sweeper. Unless they have stupid rules in your area, the whole track is open to use, you just have to obey cones. The benefits of Mitsu's AWD/AWC are being able to apply more power mid turn, and apply it earlier

I would definitely take that in 2nd, just using a wider line. Taking a direct 180 would drop you too far down the rpm range - can't think of any car that would take that faster as a tight 180 honestly