Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Evo bucking @ low speeds on bumpy roads

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2004, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo bucking @ low speeds on bumpy roads

Just picked up my new silver Evo 5 days ago.

Here's what may be a stupid question. I have several stretches of very bumpy road and parking lot I have to drive on every day. Speed limit is under 30 mph.

I haven't driven a stick in 10 years and never had a car with this tight a ride. Problem I'm encountering is the car bucking when in gears 1-3 on these roads at these speeds. It feels like the bumps are being transmitted through my foot to the gas. Each bump makes the bucking worse and then it snowballs.

It stops of course if I press the clutch. It also helps to press the gas more but not always. Since one of these roads is a speed trap, I'm being careful. Also, I'm trying to keep my RPMs low during the break in.

I am assuming it's my bad technique and nothing wrong w/ the car. Any driving techniques or suggestions?
Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2004, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, it takes some practice driving a 4WD car. You will improve the more you drive it.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

ive gotten that problem from time to time its not the car its us driving its my first stick car so im no pro either
Old Jan 24, 2004, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by kuniboy
Yeah, it takes some practice driving a 4WD car. You will improve the more you drive it.
This has nothing to do with the fact that this is an AWD car -- the bumps should be EASIER to handle. This has everything to do with the fact that each bump affects his throttle position (as he stated above).

Cabo
Old Jan 24, 2004, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Cabo

This has nothing to do with the fact that this is an AWD car -- the bumps should be EASIER to handle. This has everything to do with the fact that each bump affects his throttle position (as he stated above).

Cabo
Any ideas on a way to workaround it?
Old Jan 24, 2004, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

For me it was just a matter of getting used to it. Pretend that the gas pedal is an egg, and try not to crack the shell with your foot.

Cabo
Old Jan 24, 2004, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

If you see big bumps take your foot off the gas and it will subside, that what I normally do if I go over big bumps or dips.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

when i got coilovers installed in my last car, i had the same issue.

To begin, i started lifting my heel up without pushing down my toe- effectively eliminating throttle fluctuation when going over bumps.

After a while, i just got used to it, and now i dont get it.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

thinner-soled shoes seem to help me
Old Jan 24, 2004, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Here's what I do.

When I see that there are bumps ahead, I reposition my right foot on the gas pedal further to the right so that the right edge of my shoe sole is pressing against the center tunnel. It steadies my foot so that it is not nearly as prone to moving up and down due to the road bumps....and keeping your foot on the gas in a steady manner is how you stop the bucking.

SC~
Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
Here's what I do.

When I see that there are bumps ahead, I reposition my right foot on the gas pedal further to the right so that the right edge of my shoe sole is pressing against the center tunnel. It steadies my foot so that it is not nearly as prone to moving up and down due to the road bumps....and keeping your foot on the gas in a steady manner is how you stop the bucking.

SC~
Thanks. I tried that this morning and it worked great. I seem to remember learning that 20 yrs ago when I first learned to drive stick but had forgotten all about it. I'll try some of the other suggestions as well.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

I find that shifting to a higher gear works also. The throttle is less responsive at high gears and low rpms which equals no bucking.