Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Pulling E-Brake

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2004, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling E-Brake

Hey, since its been snowing here in IL a fairly decent amount lately, i've been doing some donuts in my lancer. But the only way u can do them is either be in reverse, which i figure it bad to redline in reverse or

go and pull the e-brake and just floor it and u will spin a good amount.

Now, is it bad to just pull the e-brake like that or is it fine?
Old Jan 27, 2004, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

It's bad for wear on your tires if the pavement is dry.

If you have ABS it'll throw a CEL eventually as it will notice that the ABS isn't performing properly...

It doesn't wear the rear shoes anymore than normal braking. It's a little harder on your suspension if you are really being rough. But overall no worries. Hand braking is actually a relatively legitimate way to induce the oversteer necessary to make some turns in winter if you screw up and your nose is plowing too straight.

Just don't be one of those people who think it is cool to take EVERY turn on a slippier road with the E-brake.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

I'll probably be using it some when I compete in an ice autocross next weekend on a frozen lake
Old Jan 27, 2004, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Man, I want to compete in an ice autocross. Too bad I moved from Wisconsin 5 years ago to go to school out here in NY.

Any ways, sdhotwn said, pulling on the brake will not mess up anything on your car unless you're really abusive. I pull mine all the time trying to get into my drive way and when pulling into parking spots. I very rarely use it in the open road with traffic though. Have snows in the front and all seasons in the rear make for very unpredictable fishtailing.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

I use mine basically whenever I feel my car not turning at all yeah, and then when the med center parking lot is absolutely covered with 2 inches of snow which makes for really fun dounts. Hey livelyjay which school did you come out to go to? I'm at UR right now.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Driving with the ebrake on

I once forgot my e-brake was on and drove for like 4 mins with it on is that bad? What should i do to fix it?
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha e-brake donuts/90degree turns/180s

lol i do it a lot...

me and my friend went to a junkyard to look for a part and there hole parking lot was just gravel/dirt and was empty so i just flew in pulled the e-brak did a quick left 90degree turn and backed up 2 inches and was perfectly in a spot

my work parking lot was all ice/hard snow last nite so i had a lil bit of fun, the rear of the place is all dirt/gravel so i had some fun the nite before to with a few friends

my poor car, lol

i live in IL to!!! but in the more southern part...by st louis all the Midwest Meets are up in Chicago etc....kinda sucks lol
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

lol that happened to me once as well.

the only time i use it is when pulling donuts on the snow in my cultasac.

and making snowy turns in un-crowded areas, or else the car just wont turn since my street never gets plowed.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Driving with the ebrake on

Originally posted by CulebraLancer
I once forgot my e-brake was on and drove for like 4 mins with it on is that bad? What should i do to fix it?
Since you don't have rotors in the back, there shouldn't be much damage from doing this. Just extra wear on the drum shoes. Next time you get your brake pads fixed have the shoes checked out. How did you manage this any ways? That bright read BRAKE wasn't enough of a warning? Just messing, I did that a few times with my crappy Cavalier back in the day.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Heh

7:50 in the morning turn on the car to go to school not really awake still a zombie when i go to turn onto the highway i notice the little red brake light then procede to slap myself and put the brake down
Old Jan 27, 2004, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Aye, it's not good to do it over and over again...but you can have some fun with it
Old Jan 27, 2004, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Just click on my sig, I love doin ebrake turns.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

chicks loooove the e-brake when you pull it. =) just do it right, as for my breaks we went hard partying a week ago in a rich area and went crazy driving for a few hours, only regret I had to put on new rotors on the front as the calipers were basically glowing orange when we finally stopped driving the car. =)
Old Jan 27, 2004, 12:19 PM
.L.
Evolved Member

Originally posted by sdhotwn
It's bad for wear on your tires if the pavement is dry.

If you have ABS it'll throw a CEL eventually as it will notice that the ABS isn't performing properly...

It doesn't wear the rear shoes anymore than normal braking. It's a little harder on your suspension if you are really being rough. But overall no worries. Hand braking is actually a relatively legitimate way to induce the oversteer necessary to make some turns in winter if you screw up and your nose is plowing too straight.

Just don't be one of those people who think it is cool to take EVERY turn on a slippier road with the E-brake.
WERD! gotta love finding a nice open parking lot with a couple inches of snow. just be careful guys...... my buddy once hit a parked car on accident going too crazy.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by .L.
my buddy once hit a parked car on accident going too crazy.
I hit a light pole on two occasions going too crazy. That's the reason why I have my Lancer now and not my Civic. I put a big ol' dent in the back right fender, cracked the rear bumper, dented and slightly misaligned the trunk lid, and bent the S-pipe in the exhaust. After that incident, I'm a lot more careful when going crazy in the parking lots.

Quick Reply: Pulling E-Brake