Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

finally launched

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2004, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at 12000 miles nothing should be wrong...you'll only find out later in life...like between 60-80,000 miles is when alot more things go wrong.... now if i can just grow the ***** to launch my car, i feel like i'd be hurting her and i dont have the cash for a new clutch yet...so maybe i'll wait
Old Apr 8, 2004, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

I tried to launch twice yesterday and bogged twice. But I have about 400 extra pounds in my car so everything was off (2 friends and 1's fat). That Bog made me lose to a mustang!! I raced him again from a roll and RAPPED it but I lost off the line
Old Apr 20, 2004, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The EVO's are fast cars because of their AWD launching capabilities (and obviously from the 271hp 4G63). I personally like to race people in my EVO from a stand still and race people from a roll in my Integra. I seem to get better results that way. The GS-R is just a highway monster (too much wheel spin from a stop), where as the Evo seems to be a little more sluggish in the top-end. Its also nice to be able to rev to 8000rpm. I am holding 20lbs. in the EVO but still doesn't seem to rip as much as I would like. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the EVO, it's my favorite car and will probably have it for a very long time. It is just TOO fun to drive, 6 months old and already have 10,000 miles!
Old May 25, 2004, 07:07 PM

I speak from personal experience when I say, if you abuse your clutch it won't last. I now am faced with not being able to drive my car until I come up with the $1300 to get a new clutch. The car's no fun when you can't drive it, be kind to your clutch.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 01:17 AM

Hahaha! The average Japanese person weighs 57lbs, therefore they don't need to launch!
Old Dec 5, 2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by silvrevo
LOLOL

That is so funny voodoo!! I would like to see the sales manager in any Mits store show a buyer how this is done also!! I mean they claim all over the frickin' place what this car can do 0-60, it is a main selling point of the car, **** , lets see it done before I purchase it.
And then give me a written release saying this is the way this car is marketed and is ok to drive it like this, no problems!!!! LOLOLOL

And smog runner you hit the nail on the head, I hear you 100%, it is very very Liberating not having to worry about warrenty this warrenty that, pretty soon you just hate your car, with your mind set, this is one hell of a fun car.

I did a launch for the hell of it the other day, prior to this I tried about 4 other times one was good, no smell of burnt clutch, the others were bog's.

The time I got it right was when I reved up and down from 3.5-4.5, then let the clutch out a little then just a regular release,,,

BAMMMMMMM,,,, spun all 4 wheels , got a little sideways, and this thing if it had wings I would have been in the air!!! It made my day. No smell, No issues. Would have been nice if anything was next to me when this happened, they would have been toast.
Spun all 4 wheels pumping it between 3.5 ~ 4.5 ? I doubt that. Maybe on moist pavement, or slick with oil residue... I don't care how you launch @ 4500 rpm, all 4 wheels won't spin on a normal dry road. You can dump it, slip it, ride it, hand brake it.. combo .. whatever, it ain't going to happen @ that rpm! In order to get all 4 wheels to spin on normal dry pavement, you would be launching around +6000 rpm and dumping it (slip then dump breaking traction...). This is for a stock vehicle I assume.
I'm one of the very few people who get a stock evo into the 12's, and noway are you going to spin all 4's and go sideways launching in that area of the rpm spectrum. I'll give you a slight chirp, but no light'n up all 4's...

Last edited by NightShifter; Dec 5, 2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 07:01 AM

When you can pull off a 60' of 1.65 ~ 1.75, you're doing great! I agree with some notions about launching @ 4000 rpm and just smooth shifting. I'll do that most of the time, but if i come across a car i have been dying to race (like a GT500 or 06 Vette...), i go all the way. Those 2 cars are doing low 4 0 - 60s and 12's in quarter. Difference in launch for me is about .5 seconds in the 1/4. I'll do 12.30s with a great launch, and 12.8s babying it. 12.30s is good enough to take those mid 12 cars at the track! I did hit a lower time, but you can't count on 1 outta 20 drags at the track i'm going to hit 12.10s, especially if you're betting money!
Best to go by your average...
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

do that 6k launch
Old Dec 20, 2006, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Damn launch your car if you want, ive been thru 3 clutches i launched alot
If you cant afford to replace the clutch then maybe you shouldnt launch
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:08 AM
Account Disabled

I havent launched yet because Im more worried about the tranny then the clutch. Granted the clutch's arent cheap but they are A LOT cheaper then a new tranny.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

When I launch my Evo also pulls out to the right every time......what's up with that? Is that basically from how much power is being put to the ground?
My best 60ft has been a 1.82 and I ran a 12.89 @108 mph. I have 284 whp290wtq. I only get a clutch smell if I slip the clutch too long...though I tend to get more wheel spin when I only slip the clutch until enagagement and then dump it the rest.... I am trying to find that sweet spot where I can pull 1.7 60ft atleast. My tiers are brand new and just got a laser alignment....

PS: my two step is set at 5500 RPM which is waht I launch at everytime.

Last edited by boostingevo8; Dec 20, 2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by silvrevo
LOLOL

That is so funny voodoo!! I would like to see the sales manager in any Mits store show a buyer how this is done also!! I mean they claim all over the frickin' place what this car can do 0-60, it is a main selling point of the car, **** , lets see it done before I purchase it.
And then give me a written release saying this is the way this car is marketed and is ok to drive it like this, no problems!!!! LOLOLOL

And smog runner you hit the nail on the head, I hear you 100%, it is very very Liberating not having to worry about warrenty this warrenty that, pretty soon you just hate your car, with your mind set, this is one hell of a fun car.

I did a launch for the hell of it the other day, prior to this I tried about 4 other times one was good, no smell of burnt clutch, the others were bog's.

The time I got it right was when I reved up and down from 3.5-4.5, then let the clutch out a little then just a regular release,,,

BAMMMMMMM,,,, spun all 4 wheels , got a little sideways, and this thing if it had wings I would have been in the air!!! It made my day. No smell, No issues. Would have been nice if anything was next to me when this happened, they would have been toast.

I agree with what the other guy above said, no way are you going to spin the tires (especially all 4) at 4500 RPm launch....**** I'd bog that low. I launch atleast 5500 each time..... I get sideways more often that not that I better grab that damn wheel quickly but shift into 2nd as well on time......
Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dunno, i've launched above 5k a few times and i hardly got a chirp of the wheels... were you at a bowling alley?
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:48 PM

Just dump the clutch at redline, problem solved... JP haha. All this talk about people being worried about clutch wear and still wanting to launch their cars, maybe it's just me, but wouldn't just upgrading the clutch along with proper launching techniques be the solution?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:25 PM

I do launches from 4,500 roughly

Quick Reply: finally launched