Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

finally launched

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2004, 01:50 AM
AOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
finally launched

i have around 3600 miles on my evo and i must have launched it about a dozen times. out of those a dozen launches i probably only got three decent launches and the rest i bogged or burned the hell outta my clutch. well anyways. the other night i decided to try to launch my car again. i used to launch holding my revs up at a steady 5000 to 5500 rpm. this time instead of holding the revs steadily i just constantly reved up and down letting the rpm bounce from 5.2-5.5. then i would quickly slip the clutch hit the gas pedal more then half way. by the time the clutch grabed i slammed the gas. from my past experience, i thought it was a pretty good launch. very little wheel spin and when i take off i have to shift almost instantly after the launch. it's pretty cool how fast the car hits 40. but yeah. i figured maybe i got lucky, so then i try launching two more times. same thing. btw yes i did smell clutch, however i expect that. and it wasn't a overwhelming smell either. you can smell it slightly. honestly i don't if it's my driving that got better, or because this is the first time i launched the car with the SS clutch line. restrictor still in. i really don't know why all of a sudden i can launch the car now, but i guess i'll leave that for you guys to decide. maybe it's the ss clutch line. maybe it's not. just thought this info would be helpful to some people. loving the car
Old Feb 17, 2004, 01:58 AM
Evolving Member

I'm glad you learned how to launch your car and all...

But just dont go and ***** at when your clutch dies... because it will happen if you keep launching your car.

Btw, this thread probably isn't a great way to win over the forum members while your still a "newbie".
Old Feb 17, 2004, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

i gave up launching....i just launch at a max of 4000 rpm with no clutch smell and smooth shifts and maintained a 5.25 seconds from 0-100 kmph calculated from my HKS TT Type 1
Old Feb 17, 2004, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Smell diagnostics...real bright.

"Dear ,

I would like to formally apologize that these owners exist, please don't take our Evo 9 away because you can't foot the bill for stupid Americans' DRAG RACING a WRC car."

Why can't Pontiac bring back the F-body?

Last edited by OnlineAlias; Feb 17, 2004 at 06:25 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

As long as he (you are right) is willing to replace the clutch on his own it is the best way to launch a turbo car. I would much rather slip it then side step it any day. Not to mention "I love the smell of clutch in the Morning".
Old Feb 17, 2004, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

The STI seems to have no problem launching.

If a car cannot achieve it claimed performance times without serious damage, I would think that is a major design flaw, one which is keeping many people from buying this car.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know what? I used to worry about warranty coverage and being hard on my car. I worried, worried, worried. Now I have 12,000 miles and not ONE thing has gone wrong with my car, despite mods and spirited driving. I know, give it time.... However, I just gave up on thinking that my car will be covered unless it is like an electric window off track or something. It is very liberating psychologically. If big **** goes wrong and it is my fault, I'll pay to get it fixed.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by cannyboy
The STI seems to have no problem launching.

If a car cannot achieve it claimed performance times without serious damage, I would think that is a major design flaw, one which is keeping many people from buying this car.
I was at the dealership a few days ago and on the loudspeaker they play thier usual commercials, saying the EVO does "0-60 in 4.59 seconds" now if people went out tryin to do that, they would have no clutch after 3000 miles lol.... I'd love to go up to them and say: "please show me how to do 4.6 seconds 0-60"
Old Feb 17, 2004, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

LOLOL

That is so funny voodoo!! I would like to see the sales manager in any Mits store show a buyer how this is done also!! I mean they claim all over the frickin' place what this car can do 0-60, it is a main selling point of the car, **** , lets see it done before I purchase it.
And then give me a written release saying this is the way this car is marketed and is ok to drive it like this, no problems!!!! LOLOLOL

And smog runner you hit the nail on the head, I hear you 100%, it is very very Liberating not having to worry about warrenty this warrenty that, pretty soon you just hate your car, with your mind set, this is one hell of a fun car.

I did a launch for the hell of it the other day, prior to this I tried about 4 other times one was good, no smell of burnt clutch, the others were bog's.

The time I got it right was when I reved up and down from 3.5-4.5, then let the clutch out a little then just a regular release,,,

BAMMMMMMM,,,, spun all 4 wheels , got a little sideways, and this thing if it had wings I would have been in the air!!! It made my day. No smell, No issues. Would have been nice if anything was next to me when this happened, they would have been toast.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I hate to admit it, but, with the salesman in the car on my only test drive (in a car I didn't buy because their numbers were screwed up) I took off after a complete stop - 4500rpm or so, slight engage then GO! Virtually no clutch - the salesman was impressed!

Since I got mine some 4-5 months later I've not taken it to an isolated spot to do just that since. But autocross is about to start up here (thank GOD) and it will be time to practice!

It can be done with little wear on the clutch. What bothers me is that SCC's reviews of cars often talk about mostly-roasted clutches after their 0-whatever tests - definitely bothersome!

Peace!
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:24 AM

I wonder how I will get my car to do 0-60 in 4.59 sec like the Mitsubishi ad says without "launching" the car? I am just a stupid American, will some brilliant Japanese person please tell me how to do it.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 05:55 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but launching will be hard on your tranny more so than on your clutch. And the Mitsu tranny is pretty strong, so you won't be doing a terrible amount of strain. And yeah, many forums members test drove one car then made the dealer sell them one from the back... new and unmolested.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Smogrunner
You know what? I used to worry about warranty coverage and being hard on my car. I worried, worried, worried. Now I have 12,000 miles and not ONE thing has gone wrong with my car, despite mods and spirited driving. I know, give it time.... However, I just gave up on thinking that my car will be covered unless it is like an electric window off track or something. It is very liberating psychologically. If big **** goes wrong and it is my fault, I'll pay to get it fixed.
Amen brother! I have also seen the light and I have been set free.

However, I think there are many who own the Evo who can afford the car and they can afford to make warranty threatening mods but they really can't afford to maintain the car if something major goes poof. Really, modding the Evo should be considered a form of unsponsored privateer racing. If you want to play, you gotta play.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

this may sound wierd but i have 7800 miles and i have only done 2 launched, unfortunatly everyone around here likes to go from a roll, and sometimes i get beat by cars that shouldnt beat me. sad days those were hehe
Old Feb 29, 2004, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
now, leave launches for special moments

Quick Reply: finally launched