Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

[question] double clutch

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2004, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ckl
In order to use the synchros when downshifting (without rev match), do I just have to let the clutch out more slowly and let the system do its job?

So does that also means that I can let the clutch out quicker if I rev match?
In order to let the synchros do their job, don't slam the gear lever into gear. Move it with firm steady pressure.

If you rev match perfectly, you can let the clutch out as fast as you want and you won't feel the car jerk.

Note that letting the clutch out too slowly is bad for your clutch. Work on rev matching and work on letting the clutch out in a quick but controlled release. If you get them both mastered in sync with each other, your clutch will be very happy with you.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 10:29 PM
ckl

Originally posted by jbrennen

In order to let the synchros do their job, don't slam the gear lever into gear. Move it with firm steady pressure.

If you rev match perfectly, you can let the clutch out as fast as you want and you won't feel the car jerk.

Note that letting the clutch out too slowly is bad for your clutch. Work on rev matching and work on letting the clutch out in a quick but controlled release. If you get them both mastered in sync with each other, your clutch will be very happy with you.
ok, i get it now, thanks for your explanation

I think that's enough theory for me, I will try to convert all these theory into acutal practice tm

and thank you all again for your answer, I really did learn alot in these two days
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

This is my first manual car and I'm still having trouble with downshifting. If I am in third gear and I'm at 3000 RPM and I want to downshift into second gear how much do you rev the engine up to once you have pushed the clutch in to downshift?

I'm not exactly sure if there is a particular RPM I should be at or is it just something you get used to?
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by urbanknight
We had a discussion about whether the heel went on the brake of the toe. According to the SCCA articles I've seen, the heel brakes and the toe does the gas, as you want to have a fairly steady pressure on the brake and a controlled amount of pressure on the gas. But I've seen online articles showing the opposite. What I find for myself is that I can not get my heel all the way on the gas pedal while pushing the clutch in, so I'll go with the heel on the brake and feather the gas. I am still far from getting this trick down enough to try in a racing situation though.
hmm my dad taught me the other way. right toe on brake, right heel on gas. i think this would be easier too because u can put more weight onto the toe of your foot to press the brake pedal. all u need is a quick jab of the gas with the heel. with many video's ive seen this is how the drivers drive also..
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:10 AM

Snapz: when your at 3k rpm, ur getting good braking from the engine still. I usually downshift around 2.2k-2.3k and then I rev up to nearly 3k before I downshift, that's when I'm not braking at the same time. That's for normal everday driving too.

I tried doin heel toe but it just felt too hard to control both gas and brake. I use my left half of my right foot for brake and the right half for gas now, the pedals are close enough so I can get great control of both, has any1 else tried this? I have only been practicing it for maybe 2 weeks now, but are there any downsides to doin it that way? This is my first manual car and I'm still learning
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by GR1MM
I tried doin heel toe but it just felt too hard to control both gas and brake. I use my left half of my right foot for brake and the right half for gas now, the pedals are close enough so I can get great control of both, has any1 else tried this? I have only been practicing it for maybe 2 weeks now, but are there any downsides to doin it that way? This is my first manual car and I'm still learning
That's how I do it--IMHO, "Heel and Toe" is a misnomer--it helps me to maintain a near-natural foot position; I am slowly getting better. I was watching a Nascar race, at Watkin's Glen, whereby they had aimed a camera on Ricky Rudd's feet--he did it the traditional way.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

heel n toe is when you come onto a turn as exceptionally high speed and want to go in without braking too much at low gear... else you just rev match regularly..

i'm personally not into heel n toe... maybe i have small feet but i cant quite lean my feet right to hit the gas very well, guess i still need alot of practice
Old Mar 19, 2004, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

i do heel toe all the time, it comes in handy all the time - traffic (lots of times in Cali), cornering, slowing down quickly, I used to do it like red - right toe on gas, right heel on brake, but everyone told me it was "wrong" which is BS cuz there is no "correct" way to drive... as far as watching others race and drive, I have really only seen the traditional right foot heel on gas, right foot ball of foot on brake - from JGTC, drifters, etc. etc. in many videos. I think its whatever suits the driver better should be used. but heel toe is definately something every manual driver should be familiar with.