Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Manually shifting an Auto

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2004, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone elaborate on how to modulate your brake and throttle to make an auto better/faster?
Old Feb 27, 2005, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

same here, BUMPITY BUMPITY BUMP!
Old Feb 27, 2005, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

N drop will kill ur tranny in 1 "drop" if done over certain rpms...i killed my mazda tranny like that...sux
Old Mar 1, 2005, 05:14 PM

If you wanted to control your gears you should have bought a stick

newer transmissions, even mitsu's trannies are made in such a way that the performance is very similar. in higher end cars like BMW's the auto is actually a lot faster than standard
Old Mar 1, 2005, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

wow, never knew that...reminds me of a joke...

ok funny time!

what's the difference between a BMW driver and a porcupine?

With a porcupine, the ****** are on the outside! :P (i keed I keed)
Old Mar 1, 2005, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

^
Old Mar 1, 2005, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

thought you'd like that one
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:43 PM

Guys I have a question. It may be a dumb one to some but here goes:

I often shift to 3rd from D when going up/down hills then shift back to D after, would this kill the tranny?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

from everything I've read about this debate I would advise against it... At least if you're doing the downshift from the shift stick. If you're engaging the auto to downshift itself (you auto guys know what I mean I hope) then downshifting it might be ok... which leads me to a question of my own:

If we auto guys downshift the tranny through the throttle and then downshift the shifter (keeping it in the lower gear) and then upshift later would that be harmful?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:52 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, with an auto any shifting is going to wear the tranny some, but the main concern is when you're at high revs. If you're racing through the canyons, for example, and you're coming into a corner in 3 at 4000 RPM and you decide to downshift to 2 which will jump it up to like 6000 RPM, you're really stressing your transmission as it's not designed to downshift while slowing down.

As for the question above that, you should be ok downshifting to get up a hill. The transmission is designed to downshift when you're bogging at 1000-2000 RPM and need to jump up to 3000-4000 to get the thing moving. However, as said above, your car will automatically downshift in that case if you are pushing on the gas pedal enough.

The main thing is that the auto is designed to downshift under acceleration, not to slow down for upcoming corners. Keep that in mind and you should have a long lasting auto tranny.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

Ok I got a question.

I was raci.... umm.. driving and the car went into overdrive a little prematurely. So I shifted it into 3rd but I didnt hear my RPM's or anything rise, it just kept into overdrive??
Did the computer just not want to follow me?
Old Jun 5, 2005, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by arm07
Ok I got a question.

I was raci.... umm.. driving and the car went into overdrive a little prematurely. So I shifted it into 3rd but I didnt hear my RPM's or anything rise, it just kept into overdrive??
Did the computer just not want to follow me?
If so, the ecu did a fail safe measure preventing a downshifting. Otherwise, you would have heard a crunch or clunk sound . . . any more of it, your TQ converter will be dead.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 11:36 PM

I say don't shift your auto's at all. I did because i was stupid and didnt know anything about cars at the time. Now my tranny is acting up, i need to push in the gas a lot more and it jerks when it shifts. Im not tripping though cuz im saving rite now for an evo. But yea dont shift ur auto If you wanted to shift you should of gotten a manual.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 02:22 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
oh, my bad, was out of loop for a bit.

auto driving. Power braking is the best way to go.

Modulate your throttle to get traction, also, on the high rpm, when the tranny is just about to shift, let go off the throttle a just a bit real quick, then push it back on wot.

This will allow you to skip the dreaded auto tranny shift wait, and also help your car not run is pig rich as it is.

But, really the only thing to do is unlock it somehow. I know most of the auto supra's do it... but I have no idea how you could do that with the lancer auto.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 01:21 PM

I dont know about stock cars, but on my drag car I manually shift my auto. Everyone in drag racing do it this way unless there using manuals. I use the auto because its more consistent. I dont really notice any more than normal wear. But again its a 10 sec car so there is about 1 major thing that goes out on it every season. I never do it on street cars because its pointless, thats whats manuals are for.

Quick Reply: Manually shifting an Auto