Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Help me out (define these terms)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2004, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's it. it's only for downshifting when braking. keep in mind you're not giving throttle and braking while in gear cuz that wont help you slow.

and as for actually using your heel and toe. many people use "lazy foot" which is just the left edge of the foot on the brake and right edge on the gas.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah, I was just trying to figure out why somebody really didn't like my definition. Politely of course.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by g6civcx
I really dislike that description of the heel and toe technique.

All heel-toe means is that you simultaneously hit both the brakes and the gas, using the ball of your right foot on the brake and the heel of your right foot on the gas. That's it!

Now when is it useful? It's useful any time you need to use gas and brake at the same time. The rest is up to you.

It's particularly useful when you need to downshift while braking. If you drop the clutch without blipping the gas, the car will jolt, and upset the weight distribution. So when you downshift, blip the gas to bring the engine speed up to the road speed in the gear you selected.

It's also useful when you need to double clutch. When you try to select 1st, and sometimes 2nd, you'll get a God aweful grind if you're not careful. The Evo has triple synchronisers in these gears, but it's good practise to save your synchros. So what you do is you throw it into neutral. Release the clutch. Blip the gas a little bit. The tricky part is to rev it as high as you would be revving if you were in the gear you're trying to get. For example, if you're going 15mph and you need 1st gear, drop it in neutral, pop the clutch, blip it to the RPM that you would be spinning if you were going 15mph in 1st gear.

Then you can select your gear without the crunch. Good way to save your worn out synchros or if your synchros go out during a race.
Not sure I agree with you...

Let's remember one thing.. smooth is FAST. Heel-Toe breaking allows for the car/turn to remain smooth... and hence FAST. If you disrupt the balance of the car by shifting without matching the revs... you will effect your traction and your smoothness throughout the corner.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure why everybody is disagreeing with me. We're all saying essentially the same thing

All I'm saying is that I'm from the old school, and we were taught basic techniques like heel-toe, double clutch, left foot braking, etc. We didn't rely on things like ABS or stability control/traction control, etc.

There are situations that dictate a certain technique. We are all saying the same thing in the above posts, however, I believe a difference in terminology is holding us back. Essentially it boils down to what you can pull off and what you can make the car do without it dying on you.

Nonetheless, I feel that there are certain techniques that we as drivers should perfect regardless of which car we drive. Every car is different, and understanding the basic theory will help you adapt to the setup of any car.

We, the mighty Evo owners, are blessed with multiple synchros for each gear, however, not all cars are like that, and it's good to know what to do in every situation.

Not sure I agree with you...

Let's remember one thing.. smooth is FAST. Heel-Toe breaking allows for the car/turn to remain smooth... and hence FAST. If you disrupt the balance of the car by shifting without matching the revs... you will effect your traction and your smoothness throughout the corner.
I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. We're both saying the same thing.

Again, I'm from the old school. I run into a lot of the new breed of drivers who will refuse to learn proper technique, and hide behind technology, like ABS, instead of polishing their skills. I'm not bagging on anybody in particular; I'm just making a broad statement.

But I guess in the end I have to tone it down, as it is ultimately you who are responsible for what you do. You may be good with a particular car, and God help you when you switch cars.

Not to rant any more, but I think this problem is caused by the fact that many drivers adapt to a car too soon, instead of letting their driving skills and preferences develop on their own. They get locked down to a particular car, and they can get good at driving one car, but they're not flexible when it comes to different types of car.

This is why I believe that a new driver should experience a variety of different cars to develop their style. Every car challenges you in a different way. Some cars are easier to mater than others. You develop your style, and THEN you set the car up to your style, not change your style to suit the car. Nonetheless, you should still be flexible and be able to adapt because you can't control every variable.

I think cars like the old school S12/S13, G1 Integra, G1 Miata, essentially any car with low power and weight without things like ABS and stability control, are the best training tool for a new driver. I would not recommend an Evo to a new driver because this is NOT, repeat NOT, a newbie's car. It's ultra fast and ultra forgiving, but it can bite you in the butt if you're not careful and not ready for it.

I now have no idea where I'm going with this post So on we must. What the hell were we talking about?