Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.
View Poll Results: What's the best FWD launch RPM?
Under 2000 rpm
3.45%
2000 - 2500 rpm
12.07%
2500 - 3000 rpm
18.97%
3000 - 3500 rpm
27.59%
3500 - 4000 rpm
18.97%
Above 4000 rpm
18.97%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

FWD launch RPM?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2004, 03:22 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dump at 6000rpm, but you have to ease into the accelerator. That's why people sit there and spin.

dump at 7000rpm then full accelerate then half way out, (tire grips) then full throttle.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plokivos
Dump at 6000rpm, but you have to ease into the accelerator. That's why people sit there and spin.

dump at 7000rpm then full accelerate then half way out, (tire grips) then full throttle.
but that doesnt really help us front wheel drive guys.....
Old Jul 27, 2004, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are some tips to help out the FWD cars at the strip:

1. Unload everything you can reasonably remove from the car, especially the spare tyre and jack. The rear end weight reduction will help the car hook up front. Also, make sure you clean out loose items in the car. It's a safety concern where stuff can fly around and hit you.

A good rule of thumb is that anything that isn't bolted down, held on, or otherwise glued on, shouldn't be in there

2. Inflate the rear tyres to the max cold pressure. It will help stiffen up the rear a little bit to counter rearward weight transfer.

3. Deflate the front tyres a little bit. The factory setting is 29 or 28 cold psi. You can try deflating to around 25 cold. It's going to deflate the tyre a little bit and widen up the tread slightly.

4. Put the 2 baldest tyres in the front. They'll hook better, and you'll wear the front tyres down anyway. So put the ones that are already bald on there

5. When you're in the line and when you're staging, try to avoid debris and water as much as you can. If you don't have slicks, you shouldn't be touching the water box. Try to drive around it and ask the worker not to splash water down for you.

6. If you do a burnout on your street tyres, you're a fool! Street tyre compound isn't meant to be heated up like that. They'll just clump into one big chunk and you'll have no traction at all. A quick clutch out clutch in to clean pebbles from the tyres is okay though.

All of these tips will help you get your launch down. Good luck!

Old Apr 20, 2005, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good advice, but i dont know about the bald tires up front. as you said, they are not slicks and they dont hook like them. a bit of tread will do you some good, unless you are running some ghetto style all terrain walmart tires. any performance tire will hook much better with tread.

as for the whole RPM debate, i think it depends on the driver's skill level and the modifications to the car. When i started racing, I would launch my ralliart 2500 RPM. Now, I launch at 4000 RPM and feather differently for best results. if you try to launch at 4k RPM your first day at the track, I can almost guarantee you will spin and not move 20' for teh first second =)

start low, trial and error until you find what works best for you, then improve from that point where you find some relative concistancy that you are happy with. its been working for me. I'm still learning, but I average a .1 drop in time about every time I go to the track.

What ive seen to work best: launch a little high so you get some spin, but are slowly moving the first few feet. Then, when you hook, it sort of feels like you are being catapulted forward. In my ralliart I am able to get 2.2 60' pretty concistantly /w full interior and just the spare/jack removed.

as for slipping or dumping? again, depends on your skill car and surface. I can dump, but i will spin if I dont do it at about 2500RPM. But keep in mind, I have over 160 pounds of torque to the wheels. The OZ is a different story (I had one b4 the ralliart....). So if you rev higher to to point where you are just before the peak of your torque band and feather the clutch holding steady on the gas, you will get a good launch with some spin, but you are moving well. keep feathering out, then slam the gas JUST before you are about to hook fully and you hook at peak torque and get the best slingshot effect. this should all happen in about the first 20'. However, there is almost no room for error. If you mess up, its costing you at least 1/4 a second. but thats what makes drag racing so exciting =) I havnt had a perfect launch yet, but i have no doubt that car is good for a 2.0 60'. i just gotta make it happen =)
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:07 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by petey pab
but that doesnt really help us front wheel drive guys.....
that was for the FWD method.

you just have to throttle adjust (or let off of your throttle and play with it until it grips) when you're at that RPM until you grip.

the reason for the high RPM is to get into the powerband. If you do it at 3500 RPM, then if you mess up, you'll be bogging and going nowhere.

If you launch at higher RPM with a slip, you'll still have some power left to go.

slip it, feather, then throttle control.

I've found it on my lude that being in 6000rpm range when I grip is the best way to go, since my VTEC kicked in at 5500 rpm.

Also, to when I feather the slip out of the clutch, (when I'm off the clutch) when i could feel the tires spinning, I would let off the throttle a little real quick then full throttle or 80% throttle and it would grip and take off without loosing any build up RPM.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a ralliart with quite a few toys, but still stock tires... what works best for me is about 3500-4000 rpm launch, and feather the clutch to control with wheel spin... burns the clutch at first, but with practice you can feather is just right and u'll be flying in no time w/out screwing your clutch up.. man i cant wait until i get my 17 enkeis and toyo's.... 3 more weeks!!