Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Sweet Ride

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2002, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Sweet Ride

I just got my silver 2003 Lancer OZ Rally.

I didn't realize how light the clutch is. I haven't driven a stick in a while so I have a couple of questions.

1. Do I have to press the clutch all the way down to shift gears or can I just push it far enough to switch to the next gear.

2. What does the term "riding the clutch" mean? dunno:

Let's say I'm in fourth and slowing down to make a right turn, I apply the brakes then shift to neutral to slow down further then downshift to 2nd while applying the clutch. I hold the clutch lightly through the turn and then accelerate? Will this do any damage to my clutch?

Thanks - This site rules. Pics will posted soon.
Old Nov 4, 2002, 02:52 AM

congrats on gettin ur new lancer hehe join the club as i see it.

1. i push my clutch all the way in when i shift gears ( no point taking a risk of damageing the clutch )

2. i dont knoe either if u find out let me know LOL

i do the same thing when i turn except i slow down way before and i always switch to neutral when im knoe im about to turn so i let my car just roll then brake , turn, shift then go
Old Nov 4, 2002, 07:26 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

1. You should press all the way down on the clutch.
2. Riding the clutch is pretty much when you rest your foot on the clutch when your not shifting. I think it may also be used if you excessively rev the engine and ease the clutch out slowly. That'll wear the hell out of it.

It's much safer to be in a gear going into a turn and you probably want to be even to slight acceleration on the throttle. This'll help balance the chassis and you'll be ready to react to a situation if it someone thing is to occur.

I think you may want to learn how to heal and toe when downshifting. It really helps with smooth driving and eases the wear on the clutch. Here's a great article on heal and toe and how it works:

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving..._heeltoe.lasso

Mark