Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking the same thing
Old Mar 1, 2005, 08:00 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by jid2
Al,

You must be crawling under alot of cars to install the wideband. Would it help to have some of the plastic ramps to drive up on? I've got some I could bring.
Believe it or not I usually bring a ramp with me on the plane !
Old Mar 1, 2005, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Believe it or not I usually bring a ramp with me on the plane !
I would love to hear the questions you get carrying that around
Old Mar 1, 2005, 08:09 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Okay, maybe we'll do the install some other time then or somewhere else at least... But there certainly won't be any huge gatherings of Evos, there isn't a huge amount of Evos in Salt Lake, And you're right about the last minute thing, but, there's not much left anyway, time wise, few hours and a day or two won't make much difference... Didn't I see a picture of you installing a guy's MBC for him, oh nevermind, that was at a guy's house, got it.

Basically, the only minute left is the last minute, cuz I can't install that stuff after the tune and have it run properly... I mean, I guess I should ask if I can... If I got an MBC from you, I'd probably need a boost gauge to set it right, and assuming for some freaky reason I'm still boosting 15 like I was before if I fixed that after the tune, would the tune not be up to the fullest after that? And what about the pump, don't I NEED to get a tune with that? I'd just hate to get the full custom, and then have to get a mail-in a week later, that wouldn't be as nice as the full tune... that's all
All it takes is 4 or 5 evos being wreneched in some dude's parking lot and the police come and I have to find a new place to meet. These are things I learned from a year and a half of doing this. I can do an entire engine rebuild in the back of a parking lot becuase I roll in quiet, don't make noise and dont make a mess. People come reving their engines and doing burn outs in the parking lot and parking directly in front of the main entrance with their cars ideling for 3 minutes on a tubro timer and a loud exhuast. Trust me, I've seen it all.

Anyway - as far as your car - I would suggest that you install everything that you are going to use on your car this week before I get there - make sure it all works OK and then we can tune you once and tune you properly.

BTW - here are some comments from a fellow ecutek tuner - PDX - they are relevant to pre- tuning preparation

Do not modify your car the night before the dyno session! You will have to pay for your dyno time even if you car is not running. (Unless you can find someone to fill you’re allotted time slot.)

At least a week before the dyno session please check the following:

How is the car running?

Are there any major problems that you already know about? Please tell us about ANY issues before we start the tune. You'll save valuable dyno time and save us a headache or two. :-)

General Visual Inspection

Look under the hood and check that all terminal connections and fine and that no liquids are leaking.

Fluids
Check that all fluid levels are correct. This includes coolant, engine oil, transmission and brake fluids.

Spark plugs
-WRX's-

Gap ok? (Should be about 0.026-0.028") Replace if needed

PDXTuning recommends: BKR7EIX-11 (NGK Iridium) or BCPR7ES-11 (NGK Stock Copper, one range colder).

Stock plugs should be just fine unless you have excessive mileage on your car. If you have over 30,000 miles on your current set of plugs you should think about replacing them. If you have installed after market plugs please confirm that they were gapped to the above specification. Incorrectly gapped plugs will lead to issues during tuning.

-STi's-

these cars use special plugs that are a bit longer than standard WRX plugs. But these from the dealer to make sure you get the right ones.

Hoses
Make sure all are connected correctly, no vacuum leaks. Check that all hose connectors are tight.

Intake
Is the air filter clean?

If you have an oiled air filter please check that the MAF sensor is clean? (To clean remove MAF sensor and place in a plastic bag with a non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Shake, remove and let dry. Do not spray the cleaner directly on the MAF sensor itself) An oiled MAF sensor will skew the MAF reading and we will not be able to tune correctly.

Exhaust System
Check for leaks, especially with the header to uppipe. Replace gaskets as needed. A leaking header to uppipe gasket will affect your turbo spool up and cause unstable boost pressure.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Shouldn't my name say paid in full too, just want to make sure you got my money.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 08:50 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bullfrg
Shouldn't my name say paid in full too, just want to make sure you got my money.
Cool - I will makr you down - just send me a PM - thanks
Old Mar 1, 2005, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Al, do I need to go any where else to just swap the Perrin for the Hallman that you are bringing?
Old Mar 1, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree that everyone needs to be mellow. No revving, burnouts or ricer moves. Everyone should turn their turbo timers off and come in cool.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Is anyone stupid enough not to be mellow? My TT is hooked to the ebrake, so I'll come in cool for sure, not that I have a loud exhast though And, I think my uppipe might be leaking Ok, seriously, Mitsu checked the car, said there's no boost leak or anything, and somehow it was down at 15 pounds of boost that day of the dyno a while ago... I'll get a boost gauge and get it installed ASAP, but other than that little old problem that FEELS like it's gone (they probably had a loose hose and didn't tell me, and fixed it anyway... it's happened before, but without such a major boost leak) everything is working great, hopefully my K&N will be here by the tune, I ordered it last week, so it should be here mid this week
Old Mar 1, 2005, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Al, EON want's to switch me times, because he has to leave Sunday and doesn't want to have to rush packing
Old Mar 1, 2005, 01:36 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Al, EON want's to switch me times, because he has to leave Sunday and doesn't want to have to rush packing
Its OK with me - no sweat I will switch you two
Old Mar 1, 2005, 01:37 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by scott88vr6
Al, do I need to go any where else to just swap the Perrin for the Hallman that you are bringing?
No I will take care of that
Old Mar 1, 2005, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for switching with Ben, Jake. He appreciates it.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Wasn't a problem at all, later on Saturday is what I kinda wanted anyway, so thank him for switching with me
Old Mar 1, 2005, 04:26 PM
Account Disabled

GUYS - we are meeting out by the Airport on I-80 as suggested

The meeting place is the Hampton Inn - near the airport

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/h...tyhocn=SLCHSHX

Everyone comming to meet - please park in the back or far end of the parking lot and keep low profiles ! I have never had a problem when everyone stays reponsible - thanks.