DynoFlash [Visit Site]

Case Study # 33 - Helix Silencer sucks

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2005, 04:32 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berkel
Hey all,

Just battled CT traffic on 95 and got home.

Wow, car is a monster. I love it.

I was surprised at how much the silencer stole. The funny thing is it made the most horrible noise on the dyno at WOT in the upper rpms. I think everyone was surprised at the horror of the shrieking tea kettle. It sounded much better without the silencer obviously. I did drive the car without the silencer when I first installed the cams at DSG (www.dentsport.com), so I knew it took power, I would have guessed 25 HP as well, not 50. I guess my Butt Dyno sucks!

Leaving with 80 more HP was definitely cool, lol. Al rocks, and IMHO he is actually a very nice guy, hehe. Car is super smooth. I know everyone says it, but it really does transform the car. I was happy to see 300, then 312. When he got the other ~20 HP it was even sweeter. I also found out my boost gauge reads way low, so all this time I thought I was running 20 psi, I was really running ~18! I teed it next to the FPR, so that's probably why...

Nice to meet the Pruven guys and a couple of evolutionm.net/evo-ny members.

Al question, did you do the idle modification for the cams? Car does idle better, but wasn't sure if it was just from resetting the battery. On the other hand, the idle isn't that bad with the 262/272 setup anyway.

Again, thanks to DSG, Pruven, and of course Al/Dynoflash! Updating my sig now...

FB
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, you have the idle flash - enjoy !
Old Apr 21, 2005, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo81
i bet you 1 dollar that you are right
BASTAD!
Old Apr 21, 2005, 07:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Wow...nice results, especially the gain from baseline to final numbers. I plan to make the pilgrimage to Milford later this year
Old Apr 22, 2005, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmmmm,

I remember seeing how an intake makes about 10 more peak HP, but really helps in the upper RPM. My TQ does fall off fairly quickly at ~5500 rpm, but I bet an intake would help. That may be my next purchase, although I promised myself (well the wife) that I was done for awhile, hehe.

Take care,

FB
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I also found out my boost gauge reads way low, so all this time I thought I was running 20 psi, I was really running ~18! I teed it next to the FPR, so that's probably why...
What's wrong with teeing next to the FPR? Where did you relocate to? I'm tee'd into the BOV line. Not sure if that's an okay location.

Did you fix the boost issue before or after the 300 and 312 whp pulls? Just wondering how much of the huge jump from baseline to final result was due to tuning vs. additional boost.

Thx.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Car is super smooth. I know everyone says it, but it really does transform the car. =FB
Thats exactly what my wife said when she drove my EVO after AL tune. She have never been on these forums and she said that the car feels much smoother

Al has a great flash no doubt.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
What's wrong with teeing next to the FPR? Where did you relocate to? I'm tee'd into the BOV line. Not sure if that's an okay location.

Did you fix the boost issue before or after the 300 and 312 whp pulls? Just wondering how much of the huge jump from baseline to final result was due to tuning vs. additional boost.

Thx.
Hi, I believe we went from 312 -> 331, after upping boost. The 312 was at ~18 psi. The 331 was at ~20-21 psi, so every psi was worth approx 10 hp or so. Pretty cool. I'm not sure if it's my gauge or where i teed it. I think some people have problems with the FPR (where I'm teed) in that it doesn't read boost if the solenoid is closed (after warm start maybe?). This has happened to me once or twice in the winter, the gauge read 0. Alternately, the gauge might just not be that accurate...

I meant to ask where they teed the other gauge, so I could check if mine read differently at that location. I would guess they teed at the tubing on the driver's side rear of the valve cover, the little section of hose? We tested and my gauge read about 23/24 when the other gauge read 20/21. It's weird to see a reading that I think is too high. No knock either so, I should be ok. I think we turned the boost down ever so slightly when leaving for a little extra margin.,, Maybe gave up a few ponies, but I can throw some 100 octane in and probably run another psi of boost or so..

Take care,

FB
Old May 6, 2005, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyoine know where i can buy a cheap silencer so when cop pulls me over again for loud exhaust i can tell ima get my silencer installed when he pulled me over /?