DynoFlash [Visit Site]

My Stroker engine lives !

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2005, 03:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Started to tune the car today - up to 30 psi now

The stroker is great - it really spools a lot better than with the 2.0

Even with my giant Gt40R set up, I am reaching 20 psi of boost by 4900 rpms and 30 psi by 5400, this is a huge improvement over the 2.0

So far I reved it to 8400 and it pulled smooth and steady

I am re-tqing the head one final time tonight and changing the plugs to BR9Es - then tomorrow I will up the boost to 39 psi and see what happens

One more comment - with the 2.0 L on this large turbo, my wastegate hardly ever opended at all and I was even starting to think something was wrong as that was really ODD. I am really happy as with the stroker the car is poping open the wastgate like crazy
Old Oct 5, 2005, 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor

MORE,MORE,MORE!

Thanks Al
Old Oct 5, 2005, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Its the rod bearings that dont seem to last an entire season so I will start changing them every 4 races.
You mean after every race right, would you change the oil after a couple hr tuning session?
Old Oct 5, 2005, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

subscribing
Old Oct 5, 2005, 04:33 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by nefblkevo
You mean after every race right, would you change the oil after a couple hr tuning session?
Last yera i only tok the car out when I was planning to tune it, dyno it or race it. When i drive it on the road i pick a time when i can do a serious bonzai run.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also - I think that for my customers on the street who are not drag racers a stroker is going to be a very popular and upcomming evo modification

You really think so?

I'm hearing from a lot of people that if you want to daily drive your evo and want the motor to last, the stroker is not a good option to go with. What do you think?

Also, is it just YOUR car that needs a lot of maintenance? or will anyone who does a stroker kit, have to do THAT much maintenance so often?

thanks Al
Old Oct 5, 2005, 05:44 PM
Account Disabled

The level of maintenance on my car is related to the fact that I run 40 psi of boost on a significant shot of Methanol injection which creates good amounts of piston blow by and oil contamination with methanol which is corosive

This has been my practice on my 2.0 l and which I will carry over to the stroker - its nothing which the stroker requires

Someone running normal bost and power levels does not need to change the oil as frequently
Old Oct 5, 2005, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats Al, keep us posted on what this bad boy runs .
Old Oct 5, 2005, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

I see the methanol injection mentality. Being an avid RC Plane/helicopter/Gas RC car enthusiast for years, the corrosive nature of methanol can be serious if not taken care of. hence I see why you would change the oil so frequently, and without the time to break oil down-you wouldn't need the lasting benefits of synthetic oil. Smart man.

As for the stroker....I am going to do it just because I hate revving my car to 9000, esecially with an obnoxious exhaust, big wing and soon to be open dump wastegate.

Just the same, Im still wondering the long term durability of a stroker.

Shep is running 56PSI and has his block "freshened up" every season. For that kind of power....I would think that a 65k mile motor on 500hp would be possible.

I have decided to O-Ring the block, just to see the long term effects of how strong it might be.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Excuse me ingnorance but could someone explain the O ring thing?
Old Oct 5, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

O-Ringing a block is when a groove is cut into the cylinder deck and a metal o-ring or o-rings are used to seal the block with or without a head gasket. Thats the extent of what I know regarding it. Im almost certain a head gasket is still necessary, but the cylinders are sealed with the o-rings.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 08:04 PM
Account Disabled

I still use the stock head gasket with the o-ring. It is used to help seal the gasket when you run high boost levels. Many engine builders O-ring the head instaed of the block and some create a O-ring in one and reciever grove in the other.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was impressive how much more enjoyable the car is to drive off bost with that extra tq

Frankly the stock 2.0 l is a drag off boost - no power to move you into boost

The stroker is much more peppy and "normal" feeling down low when you are moving into parking spots and just putting about
Al, congrats on the new set up. I totally agree more on your thoughts above. At very low rpms (1500 - 3000) the car is SOOOO much more enjoyable and streetable than other turbo modded evos I've been in. You also get the same benefit on the freeway at 70mph. No need to downshift unless you are really going for it.

Last edited by Smogrunner; Oct 6, 2005 at 06:13 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Congrats Al on the setup and glad everything is going good with you. Hope to hear from you soon

Chris
Old Oct 5, 2005, 09:26 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Smogrunner
Al, congrats on the new set up. I can agree more on your thoughts above. At very low rpms (1500 - 3000) the car is SOOOO much more enjoyable and streetable than other turbo modded evos I've been in. You also get the same benefit on the freeway at 70mph. No need to downshift unless you are really going for it.
I agree that the driveability - espescially on the highway was vastly improved. Its got some meat off boost when your rolling at the speed limit which was not there before.

it really makes my GT40R very streetable and useable on the road - which is quite a feat

I was driving the car about all day today doing errands and it was really a lot fo fun to drive.

Quick Reply: My Stroker engine lives !