Notices
DynoFlash [Visit Site]

My Stroker engine lives !

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2005, 01:49 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Stroker engine lives !

I have been working hard between tuning trips at getting my new Buschur stroker short block installed and running

Just by way of update my last 2.0 L engine lived through the entire race season with flying colors until it broke a rocker in half when I was at the WRX vs. EVO shootout in the final against the Big Valley Subaru

I am very excited about the prospects for the stroker on my set up

I really admire the design of the Buschur piston. I have seen several other company's stroker piston designs and nothing I have seen compares to the Buschur design. For those not aware - its the piston that is the key to a stroker kit. The crank is a stock 2.4l unit that all the companies use. The rods are stock crower or eagle depending on your choice. Its the piston which makes it work as a stroker. I like the Buschur due to the design of the piston top, ring set up and the way the wrist pins fits. Buschur's 15 plus years 4G63 experience shows with this lovely piston.

Just a short time ago I turned the key on the new baby and it fired right up on the first time and held perfect oil pressure

With these new pistons there is zero piston slap upon warm up and its smooth as a sewing machine

Tommorrow I plan to take it out for a nice long easy break in drive and bed in my new clutch disks

Sadly, I wont be racing the NHRA race this weekend - I worked too hard on this engine swap to rush things and do a racing break in

I do all the work myself so I need a weekend's rest and to enjoy this machine on the open roads. Hopefully i can find some unsuspecting road kill to crush.

I will report some details on how the stroker effects the tuning and turbo spool up early next week

Last edited by DynoFlash; Sep 30, 2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

congrats on the build al, cant wait to see the results
Old Sep 30, 2005, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your most recent setup you went 9.9 on was a 2.0L?

I thought you were already running a stroker.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 07:11 PM

Your So Right Al. "David builds great motors".

I'm still breaking mine in, it's got just over 700 miles and that includes the drive from Wakeman.

Good Luck with your new Playtoy,
Jim P
Old Sep 30, 2005, 07:40 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Stevdalpiaz
Your most recent setup you went 9.9 on was a 2.0L?

I thought you were already running a stroker.
When i went 9.9 it was on a 2.0 L - GT35 and no nos

Its been a lot of work to try and make it go faster
Old Sep 30, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep us updated.
This is something that I plan on doing this winter.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool!
now did you sell your old block or you still got it? :P
It must have been well built
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:01 AM
Account Disabled

First impressions

Just drove it about the block to get it hot so i can re-tq the head

I stayed 100% off boost

It was impressive how much more enjoyable the car is to drive off bost with that extra tq

Frankly the stock 2.0 l is a drag off boost - no power to move you into boost

The stroker is much more peppy and "normal" feeling down low when you are moving into parking spots and just putting about

This is all without tuning, I am looking forward to seeing how it behaves with some tuning

Tonight i will change the oil and re-tq head then when i get back from MD on Tuesday I will start the tuning process

More news at 5

Go Yankees !
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:02 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Cool!
now did you sell your old block or you still got it? :P
It must have been well built
I have several 2.0 L short blocks about - two of them brand new and ready to go as spares I never needed !
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Al, I plan on buying one of thes strokers and a full Race turbo kit in about 4 weeks once I get my brakes and fuel system installed. Please let me know what to expect with the new motor. Im going to use either e GT3540 or a GT3567 which Geoff from Full Race recomended as being a slightly better flowing turbo with no extra pitfalls in comparison to the GT3540. I dont know how to validate that as nobody has any information on this turbo, but worst case....I can go bakc to the 3540.

My biggest concern is the durability of the stroker. I want to use the car as often as possible as my daily...so I will be adding the miles. So best of luck.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Al, How high are you planning to rev the new beast? Where did you shift with your 2.0?

Thanks
Old Oct 1, 2005, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Have fun and enjoy, see you Monday
Old Oct 1, 2005, 01:13 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by feldguy
Al, I plan on buying one of thes strokers and a full Race turbo kit in about 4 weeks once I get my brakes and fuel system installed. Please let me know what to expect with the new motor. Im going to use either e GT3540 or a GT3567 which Geoff from Full Race recomended as being a slightly better flowing turbo with no extra pitfalls in comparison to the GT3540. I dont know how to validate that as nobody has any information on this turbo, but worst case....I can go bakc to the 3540.

My biggest concern is the durability of the stroker. I want to use the car as often as possible as my daily...so I will be adding the miles. So best of luck.
from my experience I would stick with the regulat gt3540
Old Oct 1, 2005, 01:14 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
Al, How high are you planning to rev the new beast? Where did you shift with your 2.0?

Thanks
Buschur has his rev limiter set at 9,000

I used to rev regularly to 9500 with the 2.0 - but that is mostly I am a lunatic !

Time will tell
Old Oct 1, 2005, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Al, the amount of experience with a 3540, not to mention the peak power capabilities prove that it is prefectly effective. Daring to be different, maybe...but just the same, I'd enjoy trying either.

As far as the rest...I hopefully will be seeing you before the years end to tune my monster.

The rev limit at 9000? What about 8,000 or 8500 (I think Dave recommends 8000 for the 2.3), to preserve longevity?

Some say by only revving to 8000 you wont make as good use of the GT35R turbo as revving a 2.0 to 9,000.

That sounds incorrect....just the math disproves it, but Id like to hear your thoughts.

Quick Reply: My Stroker engine lives !