Notices
DynoFlash [Visit Site]

Case Study # 123 - Most Powerful Evo IX (so far) - 375 whp ! exhuast, intake & MBC!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2005, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
it is a combo of both

Also - notice the variation in the shape opf the TQ curve from 3600 through 5100 rpms

The IX stays much flater and broader through the 4500 - 5100 range while the 8 seems to fall flatly all the way down

Its the MIVEC working which is keeping the TQ greater in the mid range

More boost generally equals more TQ so the 3500 TQ figure is much closer between the two cars

However - if you look at the TQ at 7,000 rpms you will not a serious advantage for the IX over the 8 - and the MIVEC is set to zero advance after 6,000

This shows the turbo makes most of the power while the MIVEC helps alter the TQ profile
Thanks for the info. So of course all of this now begs the question, when will somebody test an IX turbo on an VIII?
Old Dec 8, 2005, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kipper215
I don't doubt the 9 is capable of making power but, 375 on the stock turbo and stock IC sounds like a pipe dream. A crack pipe dream.
Where have you been? Even 05s with a turbo smaller than the one on the IX can make 375whp with the stock IC. It's actually capable of 400whp, but that starts pushing it limits. 375 can be had on the 10.5 with exhaust, boost, alky, and a tune. The IX is showing that it's capable of another 30-40whp over an 05 with the same mods.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steiner
Thanks for the info. So of course all of this now begs the question, when will somebody test an IX turbo on an VIII?
Id like to know if the EVO IX compressor housing is available from Mitsu right now for use to order separately...

Also, can someone tell me how the COMPRESSOR HOUSING is making such a big difference? Is the one on the EVO8s really that restrictive?
Old Dec 8, 2005, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Al, after reading tis I just went out tonight and bought an 06 Blue IX , please let me know if you will be coming in to Chicago for a Tune, I will be getting a TBE this weekend .
Old Dec 8, 2005, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jamevo8
Al, after reading tis I just went out tonight and bought an 06 Blue IX , please let me know if you will be coming in to Chicago for a Tune, I will be getting a TBE this weekend .
Too bad Al isn't getting any commission on all these IXs he just helped sell.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Impulsive much? LOL. Congrats dude and break her in.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

It was time for another one. Besides Al did an Excelent job on my 2003 Evo.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, I can't wait to turn mine up...........only 300 more miles until the break in period is over.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steiner
i have made myself more then clear in more then one thread, that i will be more then willing to test a IX turbo on an VIII. I think the obvious problem is that not many people are willing to trade turbos with me for obvious reasons, so we will have to be patient for the time being!
Old Dec 8, 2005, 10:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Could you give everyone a printout with SAE correction? Just speculating here, but I'd say this was done in very cold weather and you guys printed it out in "actual numbers" with no weather correction factor so that it reads higher.

Correction factors were made for a reason, and a level testing ground would be one of them. Am I the only one who noticed this? I'm not trying to discredit anybody, I would just like to see the air temp, baro, humidity on the run, and what the correction % would have been if printed out in SAE or even STD just to give an idea of what the car would have made if say it were on our Dynojet.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 10:28 PM
Account Disabled

I will be happy to come there and tune you up - I am just about done sorting out the bugs on the old dyno flash for the IX and the ecutek based IX flash has been already working great !

Let me know when you are ready - congrats and enjoy the new car !
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Al, I will be ready after Christmas, that will alow e time to let Santa ( MY Girlfriend) what I want) What besides exhaust might I want to get that is readily available, By the way which exhaust do you like best?

Do I need to find 5 or more people for a Chicago Tune?

Thanks, Jeff Malec

Last edited by jamevo8; Dec 8, 2005 at 11:28 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsnt
Could you give everyone a printout with SAE correction? Just speculating here, but I'd say this was done in very cold weather and you guys printed it out in "actual numbers" with no weather correction factor so that it reads higher.

Correction factors were made for a reason, and a level testing ground would be one of them. Am I the only one who noticed this? I'm not trying to discredit anybody, I would just like to see the air temp, baro, humidity on the run, and what the correction % would have been if printed out in SAE or even STD just to give an idea of what the car would have made if say it were on our Dynojet.
I caught it. But nonetheless, how much can the SAE correction thing help. Here is what I dont understand.

If its 90degrees out and your on the dyno... and its hot enough where its creating knock and your timing it being pulled... how is the dyno going to compensate for the really hot air which is causing knock... is it just going to up the numbers? I dont get it.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:21 AM
Former Vendor

al, aside from redoing all your tuning software for the 9, do you see any downfalls yet with the 9.. be it the mivec, or newer ecu software.. the 9's sound great, but there has to some downfall.. i know i always look at the downside of things..
Old Dec 9, 2005, 01:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
I caught it. But nonetheless, how much can the SAE correction thing help. Here is what I dont understand.

If its 90degrees out and your on the dyno... and its hot enough where its creating knock and your timing it being pulled... how is the dyno going to compensate for the really hot air which is causing knock... is it just going to up the numbers? I dont get it.
Its not. Its only giving some correction based on weather conditions. Its more suited for normally aspirated cars but it still gives some level playing field when comparing what a car does in one weather extreme compared to the other. Most of the time the SAE correction is only going to be 3-4% +- unless you are at very high alltitude or the weather conditions are very extreme. I just don't like the fact that people scroll thru the different types of corrections and find the highest one then post it. If it were 90 degrees during that run, and the STD correction factor was giving you 4% more HP, do you think that dyno sheet would have been posted as uncorrected?

If you pay attention over a period of time, most people who do this will post sheets in STD. during the summer, but will post uncorrected numbers all winter long. This car makes great power regardless, so I dont want the owner or Al as a tuner to think that I'm knocking it. Its pretty amazing compared to '03's with the same mods!

Quick Reply: Case Study # 123 - Most Powerful Evo IX (so far) - 375 whp ! exhuast, intake & MBC!!