Notices
DynoFlash [Visit Site]

Winshield washer Fluid vs alky vs meth

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winshield washer Fluid vs alky vs meth

Hey Al your mail box is full. So I posted here. What is the best to run out of the 3, i know Winshield washer Fluid is the cheapest. but how much power would be lost vs alky or meth
Old Jan 7, 2006, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't do washer fluid. Do 100% denatured alcohol or 100% methanol. I believe Al has said he sees very little difference between those two, but I'll found out first-hand when he tunes me for alky next week.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Definatly run straight methanol or denatured alcohol. A local guy was running a mix of water and meth. He was pulling just into the 11s, he switched to straight methanol, retuned and put down three 11.70s.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by damianhindley
What is the best to run out of the 3, i know Winshield washer Fluid is the cheapest. but how much power would be lost vs alky or meth
It doesnt matter which of the 3 you choose. The main idea is to inject enough of it to stop knock. Without having to "tune around" to stop knock(-timing, -boost, +fuel), you will be able to run maximise the performance of your particular setup.

Remember.....you are injecting for the purpose of "arresting" detonation, the sole purpose of the injection = antidetonant, not fuel.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:07 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SlowCar
It doesnt matter which of the 3 you choose. The main idea is to inject enough of it to stop knock. Without having to "tune around" to stop knock(-timing, -boost, +fuel), you will be able to run maximise the performance of your particular setup.

Remember.....you are injecting for the purpose of "arresting" detonation, the sole purpose of the injection = antidetonant, not fuel.
Of for the purpose of also reducing detonation to very low levels

It is not wise to view it as a knock arrestor - it is rather something that minimizes the potential for knock
Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:09 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by damianhindley
Hey Al your mail box is full. So I posted here. What is the best to run out of the 3, i know Winshield washer Fluid is the cheapest. but how much power would be lost vs alky or meth
I think it gives about
50% of the power gains you can get on 100% alcohol

Low cost and high saftey are the advantages of windshield washer

Max power is the advantage of 100% alcohol
Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't even consider winshield fluid on my book. Have you seen in any regular car (not alcohol/methanol kit equipped) how bad the residual is when using the windshield fluid?, the blue color of the fluid gets everywhere and when it dries out it leaves sticky blue residual kind of similar when you leave a soda can to dry, the syrup builds up on the botton.

I personally don't recommend it, it you buy 5 gallon denatured alcohol from Ace hardware you only pay about 1 dollar more than Windshield fluid.

my .2c
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:36 AM
Account Disabled

You could always mkix water and alcohol - same effect
Old Jan 9, 2006, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

Well if the price of denatured alky is not much more then thats what im gonna roll with. Hey Al your mail bx is full so ill just post here. I wrote you about sending in my ECU again. I have a custom flash on it that you did at Topspeed. I need to get 280cams, and alky added to it. Seen as you said launch control has to be an onsite deal due to time. Can i still get that added to as you can keep the ecu for a few weeks and keep the money for the fast shipping back. Thanks man. If not let me know all my options. thanks again
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read an article about fuels in a recent mag recently stating how water has the highest effeciency in regards to cooling and preventing knock, in other words it would be the safest liquid to run if knock should be kept to a minimum. Methanol is an alcohol and has a higher energy content than standard alcohol therefore it will have a cooling effect as well as providing energy, meaning that it combines both cooling and hp properties. Funny enough is that 87 octane contains the highest amount of energy, yet its cooling effects are among the lowest available. So the right mix is different for all, with high octane racing fuel being among the best possible mix of all. By the way, washer solvent that is for cold weather contains 25% methanol, I called the company to verify this.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Hey AL any help on this man?

Well if the price of denatured alky is not much more then thats what im gonna roll with. Hey Al your mail bx is full so ill just post here. I wrote you about sending in my ECU again. I have a custom flash on it that you did at Topspeed. I need to get 280cams, and alky added to it. Seen as you said launch control has to be an onsite deal due to time. Can i still get that added to as you can keep the ecu for a few weeks and keep the money for the fast shipping back. Thanks man. If not let me know all my options. thanks again
Old Jan 11, 2006, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I wouldn't even consider winshield fluid on my book. Have you seen in any regular car (not alcohol/methanol kit equipped) how bad the residual is when using the windshield fluid?, the blue color of the fluid gets everywhere and when it dries out it leaves sticky blue residual kind of similar when you leave a soda can to dry, the syrup builds up on the botton.

I personally don't recommend it, it you buy 5 gallon denatured alcohol from Ace hardware you only pay about 1 dollar more than Windshield fluid.

my .2c

And how much does that come out to?

I found a local chemical supplier that sells 100% methanol in 5 gallon cans/jugs whatever for $6 per jug/can

I'm going over there tomorrow to pick up two 5 gallon cans of meth.... we'll see how it goes.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

good deal if its true, I know around here methanol is ~$3 a gallon.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

what kind of difference in power gains would there be comparing dentured alky to methanol?

Quick Reply: Winshield washer Fluid vs alky vs meth