EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Peak power without alochol was 330 whp and 325 TQ - pump gas
Originally Posted by Dynoflash
This is with a moderate 26 psi peak

Peak tq 361 - peak whp 342 uncorrected

Sae Peak tq 352 TQ 334 whp SAE

This is how I would suggest driing the car every day - when you see the dyno sheet is is very nice
It seems like the alky isn't gaining much for the relatively high boost and AFRs shown on the datalogs. The tune seems to be well into the danger zone for an alky failure and yet there is only a 12 whp/36 TQ gain over pump gas? Am I misreading the numbers here?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 08:14 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
It seems like the alky isn't gaining much for the relatively high boost and AFRs shown on the datalogs. The tune seems to be well into the danger zone for an alky failure and yet there is only a 12 whp/36 TQ gain over pump gas? Am I misreading the numbers here?
36 Tq is 10% gain

Keep in mind - these power figures are on the upper end of what is possible with these mods and a stock ecu / turbo

90% of tunes I do would be detuned slightly for more saftey margin - BUT these tunes are hardly overly agressive or dangerous. I have seen some tuners in the 12's on a/f 's for example

I am sure I could have made an extra 10 - 20 whp on alcohol but
with the stock head studs I was concerned at these levels

PS - this is not a political campaign. I am posting results of tuning assignements to help customers choose mods and make decisions. The reason why there are so many parts choices is becuase everyone has his / her own personal preference.

Last edited by DynoFlash; Jan 17, 2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

It looks like the more aggressive tune has less knock is that accurate?

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I wanted to make one point very clear

Thefirst post up here is a theroetcial MAX OUT tune that shows the limitations of how far the set up can go

The second post shows a resonable street use set up which is recomended for a daily driver car

Both of them show a car which is at the top of its game due to great parts selection and agressive tuning
Old Jan 17, 2006, 08:26 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by nefblkevo
It looks like the more aggressive tune has less knock is that accurate?
When you use all of these ery free flowing exhuast parts and alcohol with decent 93 octane it is almost difficult to get any knock activity at all - this is how you can make so much power on alcohol
Old Jan 17, 2006, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Nicely done.... Warrtalon, lets see some 11's soon. Well as soon as they open the tracks again.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
rich, give me a sec to post the huge thread with dynographs. You will see the true meaning of "peak numbers don't mean everything." The reason for my peak WHP numbers not being much higher can be seen on the graphs. For whatever unknown reason currently, at the top of every pull, my power was falling back down to almost the same level no matter what PSI I ran. It was as if I was falling down to the same boost level (20-21psi) on every run and making the same power above 6500rpm, whether alky or not. You will see that the peak numbers on alky came pretty early, which is not normal on Evos. If my power curve would continue to climb like normal, my peak WHP would have been higher on each alky run. Also, that one pump gas run was 24+psi, so it was pretty aggressive on boost, but there was no knoc, and it still fell down to 20psi using Al's map sensor. My gauge was reading several psi higher than that, so I would have been screwed without the real readings, since I would have been too scared to run that high.

My speculation right now is that maybe without cams and with the stock FMIC, I am getting choked up above 6500rpm...or my BOV wasn't holding. I had the Forge RS tightened all the way, but I noticed tonight that I can no longer induce compressor surge as if my BOV is completely loosened, yet it's tightened all the way. I triple-checked to make sure I didn't accidentally turn it the wrong way. I can build 10psi in 6th at part throtttle ,then let off slowly, and the boost immediately purges...2 days ago, if I did that even with the BOV only half-way tightened, I'd buck like a wild bronco, so something change. I don't know if the WGA changes the whole BOV purging characteristics, or if I jammed the spring/diapghram when tightening. I will have to test it out, because I don't think it's normal to have power curves come down to the same spot at every boost/octane level. Regardless, I'm still extremely happy with my daily power. I didn't think 11.3 AFR was as as dangerous as you make it sound, especially when I have the progressive settings set so that I'm not even utilizing full spray right now. It doesn't hit full spray until 26psi, so I'm not using it fully as a crutch. Also, unlike many others, I chose not to keep it at the maximum possible boost, but rather a moderate 26->22 psi setting.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's my writeup with all the dynographs...

Final Results!! Buschur Ported Parts + Alky
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:16 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
rich, give me a sec to post the huge thread with dynographs. You will see the true meaning of "peak numbers don't mean everything." The reason for my peak WHP numbers not being much higher can be seen on the graphs. For whatever unknown reason currently, at the top of every pull, my power was falling back down to almost the same level no matter what PSI I ran. It was as if I was falling down to the same boost level (20-21psi) on every run and making the same power above 6500rpm, whether alky or not. You will see that the peak numbers on alky came pretty early, which is not normal on Evos. If my power curve would continue to climb like normal, my peak WHP would have been higher on each alky run. Also, that one pump gas run was 24+psi, so it was pretty aggressive on boost, but there was no knoc, and it still fell down to 20psi using Al's map sensor. My gauge was reading several psi higher than that, so I would have been screwed without the real readings, since I would have been too scared to run that high.

My speculation right now is that maybe without cams and with the stock FMIC, I am getting choked up above 6500rpm...or my BOV wasn't holding. I had the Forge RS tightened all the way, but I noticed tonight that I can no longer induce compressor surge as if my BOV is completely loosened, yet it's tightened all the way. I triple-checked to make sure I didn't accidentally turn it the wrong way. I can build 10psi in 6th at part throtttle ,then let off slowly, and the boost immediately purges...2 days ago, if I did that even with the BOV only half-way tightened, I'd buck like a wild bronco, so something change. I don't know if the WGA changes the whole BOV purging characteristics, or if I jammed the spring/diapghram when tightening. I will have to test it out, because I don't think it's normal to have power curves come down to the same spot at every boost/octane level. Regardless, I'm still extremely happy with my daily power. I didn't think 11.3 AFR was as as dangerous as you make it sound, especially when I have the progressive settings set so that I'm not even utilizing full spray right now. It doesn't hit full spray until 26psi, so I'm not using it fully as a crutch. Also, unlike many others, I chose not to keep it at the maximum possible boost, but rather a moderate 26->22 psi setting.

Stock turbo running out of its efficency islands on the compressor map - making mega heat - stock fmic gets heat soaked

Cams will help bring it up a bit more

BR Evo IX 20G is my prescription