Notices
DynoFlash [Visit Site]

hey Al, why 10.0 AFR? also...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2006, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy hey Al, why 10.0 AFR? also...

Hey man, just got my car running. I just got that reflash from you for the cams/680cc injectors (that you sent me back w/ my ecu) and found that my car feels really really underpowered. after looking at the log, it gets down to and below 10.0 AFR during my second gear pull from about 2800 up. On your last flash, I was running around 11.0. Not only that, but you suggested I get 680's rather than the 720's I had comming to me, so I took your advice... but the ecu+ says I'm still at 99% duty cycle on the 680's now. not much difference between them and stock. Only thing I can think is that I gotta pull all that fuel out so I can get back in the 11:1's and perhaps the duty cycle will come down.... but by that much? I dont wanna run the injectors at high 80-90%... this is why I got new ones. Help me out here brother.

God bless,
Ryan Utara
Old Jan 24, 2006, 05:04 PM
Account Disabled

You have a base flash which I provided you for use with your ecu + - it is set rich by design. You are supposed to adjust it with your ecu + as needed

Last edited by DynoFlash; Jan 24, 2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

that's cool I suppose. 'preciate it. Only thing I'm actually worried about is the injectors. When I lean out to the mid-high 11's (AFR) do you think the injector duty cycle will come down considerably?
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:57 AM
Account Disabled

680's are more than enough for your application
Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

k... yeah thanks. I did a little tuning yesterday.... but I do have to say that it took up to about -28% fueling in many areas just to get that curve away from 10:1. Looks like the injectors will work out, thank you.

One last bothersome question though. I got a chance to try out the launch contol... It works fantastic... but the problem is that I asked you to set it to 3800rpm... its set to about 5500. That's too high for my application. It builds tons of boost, but I don't really need that much, I don't drag race the car.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by honki24
k... yeah thanks. I did a little tuning yesterday.... but I do have to say that it took up to about -28% fueling in many areas just to get that curve away from 10:1. Looks like the injectors will work out, thank you.

One last bothersome question though. I got a chance to try out the launch contol... It works fantastic... but the problem is that I asked you to set it to 3800rpm... its set to about 5500. That's too high for my application. It builds tons of boost, but I don't really need that much, I don't drag race the car.
3800??? Man, you can't launch from 3800 - that makes no sense. That would just kill your clutch, because you'd have to slip it for like 50 feet just to get the car going. Why would you want to launch at 3800? Actually, you can't even call it "launching" from 3800, you can only call it slipping from 3800...
Old Jan 26, 2006, 08:16 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
3800??? Man, you can't launch from 3800 - that makes no sense. That would just kill your clutch, because you'd have to slip it for like 50 feet just to get the car going. Why would you want to launch at 3800? Actually, you can't even call it "launching" from 3800, you can only call it slipping from 3800...
I think sometimes it becomes hard to please all the customers

I prob mis read his 3800 as a 5800 as no one in thier right mind would ask for a 3800 two step - - just as a reference - on the 2005 they place a 5,000 from stock that makes it nearly impossible to get off the line

Easiest solution here - just send back the ecu and I will readjust the two step to what ever he wants
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash

I prob mis read his 3800 as a 5800 as no one in thier right mind would ask for a 3800 two step - - just as a reference - on the 2005 they place a 5,000 from stock that makes it nearly impossible to get off the line

Easiest solution here - just send back the ecu and I will readjust the two step to what ever he wants
...That's a little harsh brother. I in no way attacked you. I appreciate your tuning, but don't get upset if I have some questions, its okay. Ah well about the launch control, it is nice, but honestly I never launch outside of autoXs, where it isn't that important. And yes, if done correctly, a 3800 RPM launch does work, certainly not for the 1/4 mile... but as I've said... I don't do that. I'll stick w/ the 5500 or so, it is kinda cool that it builds 10-12psi... but I'll prolly never use it. The idea was to be able to use the 3800RPM launch for my autoXing, so that I don't have to hold the pedal there... I'm not too good at keeping it consistant. Ah well, I will just have to get better, and I suppose if I do ever want to drag the option is there.

I appreciate the offer to send it back, but I really am enjoying my car right now, and it's not that big of a deal, plus I appreciate the launch control, and the nice tune for the injectors, they run sweet. I've almost finished taking out the fuel neccessary. I'm at about -28% up top to get in the 11.5 range. Just to let you know.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

99% duty cycle on bigger injectors ? Even at that AFR they shouldnt be running that high. Lean it out some with your ECU+ but not considerably. Do a few corrections at a time and log it. Lean it out some at lower load to improve spool .. then see what your logs are saying. Then lean it out a bit up top at higher load. I dont know how ECU+ works but im sure all these piggy backs work sorta the same.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by honki24
I've almost finished taking out the fuel neccessary. I'm at about -28% up top to get in the 11.5 range. Just to let you know.
Sounds like either you have a mechanical issue or the flash is for stock injectors. When I had an SAFC, 660s, Walbro 255 and stock ECU flash, I pulled about 25-27% out to get low 11 AFRs. Now I have a Dynoflash base flash for the injectors and it runs about 10.8 with no adjustments. I pull about 3-6% out with the UTEC to get it into the low to mid 11s. If you are pulling 28% your timing must be way way off (read, too advanced) unless you are making massive corrections with the ECU+.

Duty cycle wise I'm seeing no more than 94-97% up top on straight pump gas (no alky) with AFRs in the high 10s. I figure that once I get that leaned out a bit more and the weather warms up a little, the DC should be in the lower 90s. Glad I have the alky kit to supplement as I add more mods.

Good luck!
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
After I got your reflash I was able to get mid 1.7's every time with the stock 5k limiter without slipping.. I get a smooth odor free launch every time and the stocker is still doing well..
Originally Posted by DynoFlash