DynoFlash [Visit Site]

300.7 Whp / 287.5 Wtq (Part 2)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2006, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300.7 Whp / 287.5 Wtq (Part 2)

Al,

Without a doubt this is the best bang for buck modification I have ever done! The car is putting down unreal power and the torque curve is ultra smooth.

I think the little boost spike was caused by a loose hose, because it appears to be fine now. I will likely soon upgrade to a BR complete exhaust and should be able to get even more power then. Thanks again for a great product and wonderful support!

Chris

PS -- HUGE thanks to Warrtalon for helping with the car.....
Old Jan 28, 2006, 05:34 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
warrtalon is a very decent human being and a very heplful guy
Old Jan 28, 2006, 05:53 PM

Hey Chris, this is Gary... I was there in my RR evo when you got your flash. Glad to hear you're satisfied with your flash! You and Josh should come to the meet tomorrow for the DC Auto show http://forums.dcevoclub.com/showthread.php?t=3596
Old Jan 28, 2006, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cocomofo
Hey Chris, this is Gary... I was there in my RR evo when you got your flash. Glad to hear you're satisfied with your flash! You and Josh should come to the meet tomorrow for the DC Auto show http://forums.dcevoclub.com/showthread.php?t=3596
Hey Gary ... good to hear from you...

I would love to go to the Auto Show, but my wife is already thinking about ditching me after I spent too much time with cij911 and warrtalon today performing pressure tests and logging timing

BTW, my car feels strong and timing was looking good via the pocket logger, but I still have boost control issues ... up down up down. The pressure test showed that my system is leak-free to 25psi, so it's down to either a bad spring/MBC or not enough pre-load tension on the stock wastegate actuator ...
Old Jan 30, 2006, 06:42 PM

Which MBC do you have....I had a Forge and the spring wasn't seated..had to snap in. Clayton helped me fix it when we were all at extreme...no problems now holding good boost at 21. Also, when Al did my flash and road tune he also crushed my bov....Thoughts?
Old Jan 30, 2006, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rues9
Which MBC do you have....I had a Forge and the spring wasn't seated..had to snap in. Clayton helped me fix it when we were all at extreme...no problems now holding good boost at 21. Also, when Al did my flash and road tune he also crushed my bov....Thoughts?
We figured out that it was just a bad Forge unit - either the housing itself or the spring. Josh put on my old Hallman, which I know worked very well since it got me all my drag times to date, and the boost went back to normal. I had to take it back, since I'm driving to CO tomorrow, but Forge is replacing the UNOS, although I think Josh decided to just go with a Hallman. His experience with that UNOS was not fun, especially since this was a new IX doing his first mods on MY recommendation - it wasn't looking good there for a while, heh, but now all is well.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rues9
**I am assuming that you have the 1g bov. It was crushed to hold more boost and to hold it stronger. It is perfectly fine to do as long as it is not crushed too much. And I know Al knows how to crush a bov, sicne he crushed mine...
Old Jan 30, 2006, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kmcconn9
**I am assuming that you have the 1g bov. It was crushed to hold more boost and to hold it stronger. It is perfectly fine to do as long as it is not crushed too much. And I know Al knows how to crush a bov, sicne he crushed mine...
No, he has a IX, which has the JDM MR DV, which is also very similar to the 1g and can be crushed. Rues9's car is fine - he was asking about thoughts from Josh on whether or not his suggestions might help solve the boost problem. Josh's BOV is also crushed, and that was not the problem - it was just a faulty MBC that is now replaced.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 07:12 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
We figured out that it was just a bad Forge unit - either the housing itself or the spring. Josh put on my old Hallman, which I know worked very well since it got me all my drag times to date, and the boost went back to normal. I had to take it back, since I'm driving to CO tomorrow, but Forge is replacing the UNOS, although I think Josh decided to just go with a Hallman. His experience with that UNOS was not fun, especially since this was a new IX doing his first mods on MY recommendation - it wasn't looking good there for a while, heh, but now all is well.
Man - what an ordeal. Glad to hear it was nothing in the tuning, I was scratching my head on that one.

Thanks for your help Clay
Old Jan 30, 2006, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Forge is replacing the UNOS? Could you explaine this a little more?
Old Jan 30, 2006, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by walkedu
Forge is replacing the UNOS? Could you explaine this a little more?
They are replacing his defective UNOS. I didn't say they are replacing the entire UNOS line, you paranoid crackmonkey.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Paranoid? I wouldn't call it that when i was one of the first documented cases of the UNOS spike. How is this going to be taken care of?..... You know it all, over expressive, chicken gizzard
Old Jan 31, 2006, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by walkedu
Paranoid? I wouldn't call it that when i was one of the first documented cases of the UNOS spike. How is this going to be taken care of?..... You know it all, over expressive, chicken gizzard
The cause has to be found in order for it to be fixed.

that was my point, though. You and a few others had a similar, strange occurrence, and as soon as you saw me tell someone else that someone else's UNOS was being replaced, your brain went haywire thinking the entire line of UNOS MBCs was being replaced, haha.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Al - yeah never really thought it had anything to do with the flash since it's basically just two vacuum lines and a bleeder valve in control of the whole system ...

Walkedu - my problem wasn't really a spike issue, it was more like boost rise, followed by drop off, followed by the boost creeping up again and then tapering ... also, I could never dial in the appropriate amount of boost since it was always bouncing all over the place and peaking at a different psi each time ... very inconsistent and annoying as Warrtalon said.

We tried everything including greasing the ball, reseating the spring, crushing the BOV and pressure testing the system (virgin tight at 25+ psi!). Ultimately, just swapping out the MBC for Warrtalon's Hallman solved the problem.

Other people seem to like the UNOS, so I'll chalk this up to possibly being a defective unit or spring and I'm sending it back. However, I think I'll just replace it with the Hallman since I know that works ...

By the way, I'd like to add that the folks at The Speed Factor were very helpful and patient with me in resolving this problem ... they spent a ton of time with me working this out ... thanks Martin!

Also huge thanks to Warrtalon for helping me out with all the troubleshooting ... even to the point of performing the pressure testing in his driveway last weekend as he was packing up his house to move cross country!

I should further add that the car feels VERY strong now that I'm holding a solid 20psi tapering to 18 or so at redline ... it's especially deceiving as it's very quiet with the stock exhaust still! (not for long .... damn power is too addictive)

Last edited by joshd; Jan 31, 2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 11:36 AM

JoshD, Glad you're back in full power mode!