DynoFlash [Visit Site]

Project STI - 551 whp - stock engine - stock ecu

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:22 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project STI - 551 whp - stock engine - stock ecu

Things are starting to move more quickly with Project STI

Back from a week at Buschur working on his staged upgrade package, I was thrown into immediate action when my truck diff broke and I had no whip to drive today

My latest upgrade is a part I will be selling through Buschur called a "Big Al MAF" It consists of a 3.25 " ID alum tube with a super nice Buschur air filter on the end with a 3 " cold air intake directly to the turbo

I threw on the new intake and set out to dial in a quick tune on my way to the dyno this am

Three tuning adjustments and I was starting to get excited and thinking man this Big Al MAF is working great

Anyway - I threw the car on the dyno with 20 psi peak and pulled 420 whp same as the last time I was on the dyno with a stock sized maf that came from Ultimate Racing

Next, I turned up the boost to 32 psi and added in 5 gallons of C 16

I was shocked how closely the same tune was dialed in with my estimations

The A/F was flat on 12/1 a/f and the injectors were at 100% max duty cycle - Hellix 850s. Big AL MAF alsop maxed out at 4.9 volts. Also fuel pump maxed out 100%.

The results a smooth 551 whp.

I am very impressed with the Ultimate Racing turbo kit and fmic - my shop - www.theshopct.com just ordered 3 more complete kits today in part based upon the continued amazing results we see with these kits.

Next up, I plan to add the UTEC to have speed density, a Buschur double pumper and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a Perrin Alcohol kit. With the increased fuel flow and methanol injection I will have more fuel to make another 60 or so whp and break over 600 whp.

I think that this is about as much as you can get out of the stock MAF and stock ecu within reason.

My goal is 600 whp on the stock bottom end and heads.

I am really loving my STI and enjoy driving it around town. It runs like a stock car, starts up in this single digit temps with a twist of the key and idles perfect.

Special thanks to David Buschur for his help and guidance on this project and for his collaberation on Subaru tuning.

Thanks also to my sponsors

Ultimate Racing
Buschur Racing
Drive Shaft Shop
Exedy Racing
Ecutek
Agency Power
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Insane power Al!! . Impressive indeed.. monster daily driver.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Feb 6, 2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Things are starting to move more quickly with Project STI

Back from a week at Buschur working on his staged upgrade package, I was thrown into immediate action when my truck diff broke and I had no whip to drive today

My latest upgrade is a part I will be selling through Buschur called a "Big Al MAF" It consists of a 3.25 " ID alum tube with a super nice Buschur air filter on the end with a 3 " cold air intake directly to the turbo

I threw on the new intake and set out to dial in a quick tune on my way to the dyno this am

Three tuning adjustments and I was starting to get excited and thinking man this Big Al MAF is working great

Anyway - I threw the car on the dyno with 20 psi peak and pulled 420 whp same as the last time I was on the dyno with a stock sized maf that came from Ultimate Racing

Next, I turned up the boost to 32 psi and added in 5 gallons of C 16

I was shocked how closely the same tune was dialed in with my estimations

The A/F was flat on 12/1 a/f and the injectors were at 100% max duty cycle - Hellix 850s. Big AL MAF alsop maxed out at 4.9 volts. Also fuel pump maxed out 100%.

The results a smooth 551 whp.

I am very impressed with the Ultimate Racing turbo kit and fmic - my shop - www.theshopct.com just ordered 3 more complete kits today in part based upon the continued amazing results we see with these kits.

Next up, I plan to add the UTEC to have speed density, a Buschur double pumper and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a Perrin Alcohol kit. With the increased fuel flow and methanol injection I will have more fuel to make another 60 or so whp and break over 600 whp.

I think that this is about as much as you can get out of the stock MAF and stock ecu within reason.

My goal is 600 whp on the stock bottom end and heads.

I am really loving my STI and enjoy driving it around town. It runs like a stock car, starts up in this single digit temps with a twist of the key and idles perfect.

Special thanks to David Buschur for his help and guidance on this project and for his collaberation on Subaru tuning.

Thanks also to my sponsors

Ultimate Racing
Buschur Racing
Drive Shaft Shop
Exedy Racing
Ecutek
Agency Power
AL your a crazy guy!!
Old Feb 6, 2007, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really nice numbers al. Cant wait to get my turbo kit and all the fixins for you to tune. Keep up the good work!!!!!
Old Feb 6, 2007, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

congrats al. We are gonna have to line up at e-town. 35r EVO vs 35r STI...

Glad your happily back again in a subaru. its crazy how those cars just make you always go back. If i didnt have my dads fully built WRX I would have to get a gc8 with a sti swap as a DD...
Old Feb 6, 2007, 05:05 PM
Account Disabled

nice...
Old Feb 6, 2007, 05:08 PM
Account Disabled

I guess aluminum blocked engines can be strong too! I was really getting tired of the debate that aluminum blocks are weak. This gives me hope that the new Evo X engine can be just as robust!

Last edited by Vigo; Feb 6, 2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

how is your motor not in pieces at this power level? I thought the STI blocks were weaksauce compared to our evos
Old Feb 6, 2007, 05:35 PM
Account Disabled

That's what I've always heard.......Hmmmm....
Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:04 PM
Account Disabled

Well - this STI would fare very nicely against any stock motor Evo IMHO

In the evo the rod bearings are the weak leak in the STI the pistons are the issue

The big gap comes when the Evo motor gets built of course and then they ared virtually bullet proof with proper tuning
Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

al-
i know you are pretty experienced with sti/wrx's, so with the power you got above what would you expect the 1/4 mile to be.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:32 PM
Account Disabled

What power level will the stock STI pistons give out at?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RenoEvo
how is your motor not in pieces at this power level? I thought the STI blocks were weaksauce compared to our evos
not to take anything away from Al's accomplishment, 500+whp stock block (stock cams) STIs have been done before.

gadiel got 562whp in PR
slowboy racing got 579whp
element tuning got 553whp
azscoobie got 565whp

if Al reaches 600whp, that would be a record.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Very smooth graph and very usable powerband, Im suprised by the powerband the most. Great job!!
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Well - this STI would fare very nicely against any stock motor Evo IMHO

In the evo the rod bearings are the weak leak in the STI the pistons are the issue

The big gap comes when the Evo motor gets built of course and then they ared virtually bullet proof with proper tuning
Yah?

We will see Sunday night if you don't chicken out.

Sean

Quick Reply: Project STI - 551 whp - stock engine - stock ecu