Notices
DynoFlash [Visit Site]

'07 STI vs '06 Evo IX - Stage II - dyno comparision

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2007, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another great post by Al. Now I am gonna sell my evo to get an STI. This thread is even better than his exhaust comparisons
Old Mar 19, 2007, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

LOL
Old Mar 19, 2007, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
2007 STI - Stage II - stock air box - catted DP - header - cat back exhuast - custom Buschur Flash tuned 20.5 psi peak boost 93 octane...........
Wow, that's a TON of boost for a subie. That normal for your tuning? Can you push the 07's that much now?

Used to be they'd tune them for 18psi maybe 18.5psi max. Considering the stock level was around 14psi that was a huge jump as is.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Wow, that's a TON of boost for a subie. That normal for your tuning? Can you push the 07's that much now?

Used to be they'd tune them for 18psi maybe 18.5psi max. Considering the stock level was around 14psi that was a huge jump as is.
That is exactly my point, is it possible for the new 07 STI to handle that much boost, probably, then on the other hand it is safe for the EVO IX to run more boost also. So to stay ultra conservative for one and not the other is just misleading in my opinion. A Buschur stage II EVO IX should be around 300whp or more on Buschur's dyno, I'd be pretty disappointed if that was my IX.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Also this thread is filled with many faults, since when did any stage 2 for an STI consist of a header? I certainly don't see a $500 to $1,000 header listed as a stage II on buschur's website. I mean Al this thread is just BS.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

My take and I am done with this thread. The 07 STI has made some improvements and is making more power than the previous years. I've done my homework on both of these cars, and with approx. $2,500 worth of mods, what I consider to be average for a bolt on car, the STI can potentially make anywhere from (dynojet) 310-330whp and 380 to 400wtq. Most boost 18 to 18.5PSI tuned, some have pushed 19PSI and 19.5PSI, 20.5PSI is pretty high in my opinion for pump gas. Still the 07 STI is pretty impressive compared to previos years. Of course some will make more and some will make less, but most will fall between this range.

A EVO IX with around $2,500 worth of mods should be capable of 360 to 380whp and 350 to 370wtq (some will make more and some will make less). Most tuned IXs run 22 to 23PSI, some higher. 21 PSI is pretty conservative in my opinion, but it still should outpower a STI. So it all comes down to you, what is more important and impressive to you, having some killer torque, or more power. It's up to you.

Last edited by 3000ways; Mar 19, 2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

lol! handicap the evo to compare to the sti.... how fair! lol!!
Old Mar 19, 2007, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the problem? Al, isn't saying that the STI is a better platform or anything of the sort. The 07 STI is at least equal to a bolt on EVO most people say it much easier to drive and should be with a 2.5L and small turbo that turbo will max out quickly even though it is a upgrade. A maxxed out stock turbo EVO still holds the upper hand over a maxxed out STI.

I could always start talkin about Cobra's, GT500's, C6, C5's, and Vipers and **** everyone off 3000
Old Mar 19, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

a bolt on Evo IX only run 21psi?
Old Mar 19, 2007, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasil
What's the problem? Al, isn't saying that the STI is a better platform or anything of the sort. The 07 STI is at least equal to a bolt on EVO most people say it much easier to drive and should be with a 2.5L and small turbo that turbo will max out quickly even though it is a upgrade. A maxxed out stock turbo EVO still holds the upper hand over a maxxed out STI.

I could always start talkin about Cobra's, GT500's, C6, C5's, and Vipers and **** everyone off 3000
LOL Jasil, but on a serious note a bolt on 07 STI is not equal to a bolt on EVO IX, I've done my homework on both cars. Maybe I don't have much of a life, but hey it's what I do. Still you can all ways post a misleading thread and make it look like the STI has the upperhand like Al did . And read his thread and the one posted on the Subaru forum, sounds like it to me he is saying the Subaru is making more power which just isn't true. I mean this is the same cars he has called slowbura for awhile, now all of a sudden they are super impressive. Al puuuuhlease, your fake dude.

To tell you the truth, the EVO IX is one of the most impressive bolt on performance cars I've ever seen and this is taking into account power gained from mods and price to mod. As far as imports, the EVO IX has nearly no equals. You can sit there and say that is not so, or do your homework and prove me wrong. There is only one import that I've found that impresses me more so than the EVO IX, and that is a BPU++ Supra, damn do those cars make some impressive power with little money spent.

Last edited by 3000ways; Mar 19, 2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:10 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 3000ways
There are Buschur Stage I EVO IX making similiar to more power than this Stage II EVO IX on Buschur's Dyno. Very misleading thread.
Remember snapper - this car had a high flow cat which robs at least 10 - 15 whp (same as the Subaru STI in the test) and which means that even though it had the lower fmic pipe and 0 2housing it still prob was just the same as a non catted Stage I

Also - when running a high flow cat - generally I see the need to keep peak boost levels down slightly due to the invcreased back pressure

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think a lot of you are missing that AL has run BOTH these cars, on the same Dyno, same day, almost the same BOOST, same tuner. I feel it is a fair comparison, 21PSI Vs. 20.5 PSI. it is fairly accurate and I am glad that Al ran the boost so close because it is fairly accurate to jusge on teh same boost level. I also agree that the STI boost is a little high for pump gas, but once again the 2007 STI is equivalent to the 2006 IX in that it has a larger turbo and better heads, so it probably CAN run more boost just like we with the IX.

Finally, let the STI drivers read this thread and think they have the advantage and then when no one is looking turn it up to 23PSI.

Thank You Al.!
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:31 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by sblvro
I like the STi as it is but comparing it with a handicapped evo is like I said comparing apples and oranges. If this thread is meant to bash the evo then I think it just appropriate that Al be banned for promoting erroneous info. at this point it is too late, he has jumped ship and moving to scooby where the market is
A few counter points

1- This was just a comparison of two cars I did on the same day - IT IS NOT the most powerful IX I have seen - its a 07 STI and a Evo IX on the same dyno same day with similar parts - take it for what its worth

2- I am not bashing the evo - we all know I have a 9 second Evo (sadly beat by a subaru last year though) - I love Evos - I am just charting the amazing improvments of the 07 STI for those who may not be aware

3 - The fact that you would have me banned for sharing data shows how narrow minded you are

4 - As far as "jumping ship" - I have been tuning both Subaru and Evos since day one. At one point I was so busy with Evo ecu decoding that I had no time for anything else (this is when we had to find the tuning maps ourselves). Now with the advent of simple and free ecu flashing applications I have a lot more time free to play with Subarus as I dont have to spend any more time on R & D of the evo ecu which used to take up hours a week.

I have been tuning Subarus longer than I have been tuning Evos

I have been a Ecutek dealer of Subaru for nearly 3 years and a Cobb Pro tuner for a long time also - this is nothing new for me

Please take the data for what it is worth and relax.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:39 AM
Account Disabled

One more point guys

At The Shop - we are running the shop's 07 STI and several customers with other 2.5 DBW (drive by wire) engines at 23 psi peak boost on pump gas

Also David Buschur's own personal 06 WRX runs around 23 - 24 psi peak boost - and 390 tq on that same dyno (sti turbo and tmic)

While we have seen no problems with these cars at those boost levels - I am still not pushing the customer's cars that hard due to my overly conservative approach

Most of the hold back in the higher boost levels has to do with the tmic set up on the STI and concern that the higher boost level generates a lot of heat that the tmic can not effectively manage

Swaping to a FMIC will allow you to run 21 - 22 psi of boost with no problems on the STI

Also Buschur is working on a really innovatiove tmic for the Subaru with a 4.5 " thick core - looks promising
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:41 AM
Account Disabled

My main point is to say that the 07 STI is much better than the 04 - 06 versions

Not only is the gearing better but the power is better

Its like the 03 Evo 8 vs a Evo IX - the IX is just a more potent machine

Same with the 07 STI

That is the end of what I am saying

Some of the members here need to get out more often and try and have a life

Thanks

Quick Reply: '07 STI vs '06 Evo IX - Stage II - dyno comparision