Notices
DynoFlash [Visit Site]

'07 STI vs '06 Evo IX - Stage II - dyno comparision

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well we all no there is no replacement for displacement, proved many times over, considering a viper on very low boost(12psi Seen it at RSI) can push past 1000hp, so of course the STI should have the upper hand with minimal mods. But overall package and capability, EVO still wins. The evo handles better, and still responds to mods better. Once you get valve train on an evo and take advantage of the rev capability that the STI lacks that its a diff story. Also Al I am sure if the STI didnt spray you probably would have won. Not really a fair race, but you run what you brung.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree, the EVO is a better overall platform that the Subaru or WRX atleast if you intend to drag race it. The driveline in the EVO is virtually indestructable. The same for sure cannot be said about the Subaru. I have guys warning me at the power level I'm at now!

The Subaru has had more road racing/autocross victories though I think.

Bottom line, both cars are great.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is it that everything here is a pissing contest? I'm sure AL could spend a couple of hours a day jumping into other peoples threads and bashing the crap they post too if he really felt like it.

You guys might want to try something called "DISCUSSION" instead of "BASHING". I just ignore idiots who bash instead of trying to discuss.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:15 AM

nothing new Its simple these 2 cars have been rivals before they even hit our shores and hope that both continue to be, so us the customer can reap the benefits. I own both the Subaru and Mitsubishi, under the hood of the subaru is god damn nightmare try doing plugs and belts on it! The Mitsubishi seems to bring on power sooner I feel the turbo @ around 35000rpms while the subaru feels like n/a in till I hit 4000rpms were seems to come to life. Thats just average joes opinion

Ps. Evo X is on its way who knows what that will bring
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

I think the reason for adverse reactions is due to the way Al communicates the way he conducts his tests. The last two times Al posted a comparison Mr. Bushur had to come on board and clarify the circumstances etc. This is also the exact reason why after two years of evo ownership, I still go back to the Bushur dyno thread to check if a part makes power. DB clearly communicates the way testing is done, circumstances, etc. Sometimes only when you have complete info about circumstances, etc. you can make sense of the results
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Just quickly as I was posting this in the Subaru forums on this screen was still up.

I just went out and logged the my Subaru as I needed to check something.

Anyway, the gear ration in the Subaru is pretty freaking good now. I have a 5 speed and at 7,000 rpm the speedo and datalogger confirmed 141 mph, in 4th gear. I WISH the EVO could do that. My car at 142 mph is 9,000 rpm in 4th. Be nice to drop that down.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 3000ways
Ecutek flash for $300

Fisrt off I was doing typical modifications for a STI, you can actually get a TBE for $250 for an EVO IX if you wanted, I got my TBE for $600 to tell you the truth, but most people spend a little more money on their parts. So you can mod your STI cheaper, but you can do the same thing for a EVO. My point is bolt on bolt on STI has never made as much power as a EVO IX and STI has never proven anything, especially not going off of a dyno comparison of a stage 2++ STI against a troubled stage 1 EVO IX. Is the STI making more power than previous years, yes, but still not as much as a EVO IX.

What the hell is that third sentence supposed to say?

You brought up the $2500 figure for a power comparison after your so-called "extensive research."
Just seemed a little too biased for a striaight power comparison considering the true potential.

Carry on.

Last edited by Blue04; Mar 20, 2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I agree, the EVO is a better overall platform that the Subaru or WRX atleast if you intend to drag race it. The driveline in the EVO is virtually indestructable. The same for sure cannot be said about the Subaru. I have guys warning me at the power level I'm at now!

STI driveline is on a different level than the WRX. Much different level.

BTW, kudos on your WRX/STI exhausts, I'm loving mine so far.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:56 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
FYI how much handicap did you guys want in order for the 07 STi to win the comparo? Not only is the 06 Evo IX Stage I, but also only at 21 psi vs a "Stage II(2) 07 STi with better gear? might as well have run a stocker Evo IX against it!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 01:03 PM
Account Disabled

I feel that Subaru is barely starting to catch up. They are now at a point where they are faster then SRT-4 and Cobalt SS but still years behind EVO. AL and Buschur and everyone else can say whatever they want (sorry if I am to direct). I am not falling for any of this bs. That Subaru that AL lost too was not even a Subaru anymore. They did everything know and un-known to man and barely took the win. They also won because AL, F***D up. I really will not even give a penny on the STI or on anyone else’s opinion about it.

The way I see it STI = KIA.
STI needs to go take they A**** back from SRT-4 and B16 Hondas. For so many years they where spanked, it’s time to go back and get your pride back. Leave us alone until you have a descent proven engine.

CASE CLOSED!!!

By the way 3000ways you ROCK!!!!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 01:04 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
...... I apologize to Misha for her car, which was the EVO9....... The tune was on the money BUT for sure had we not run into a problem and my poor attitude the car could have made more power....... The EVO9 was a BR Stage 1 with a 3" cat, upper i/c pipe, battery kit, MAF pipe/filter, the bad Ebay 02 housing and our lower i/c pipe. ....., my guess is that lower i/c pipe was leaking and we didn't know it, which explains the torque hitting late.. ......
there you go!.... vs a Stage II(2) 07 STi. It is not a comparo at all. it goes to show how one will manipulate the results and post here in the Evo forum when it is actually is not a fair comparison at all.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by _007
I feel that Subaru is barely starting to catch up. They are now at a point where they are faster then SRT-4 and Cobalt SS but still years behind EVO. AL and Buschur and everyone else can say whatever they want (sorry if I am to direct). I am not falling for any of this bs. That Subaru that AL lost too was not even a Subaru anymore. They did everything know and un-known to man and barely took the win. They also won because AL, F***D up. I really will not even give a penny on the STI or on anyone else’s opinion about it.

The way I see it STI = KIA.
STI needs to go take they A**** back from SRT-4 and B16 Hondas. For so many years they where spanked, it’s time to go back and get your pride back. Leave us alone until you have a descent proven engine.

CASE CLOSED!!!

By the way 3000ways you ROCK!!!!

man thats kind of harsh, I love the evo but it really looks like the 07 sti is a nice car, and capable of good power with just boltons!!!

Props to Al and Dave for the good info!!!!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

This summer we will see some track results.... lets be patient!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

The STi tranny is bulletproof.

The WRX tranny is very weak. Especially 06-07. You might try LGT gears if you end up needing an upgrade that doesn't cost 5,000. RA's are basically the same at LGT gear only the legacy gears cost half the price.

Last edited by Borti; Mar 20, 2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 03:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So why wasn't the boost turned up on the IX?

Oh, in the name of advertising. Greeeat. . .

Quick Reply: '07 STI vs '06 Evo IX - Stage II - dyno comparision