Notices
DynoFlash [Visit Site]

Greddy Profec B II - advisory - not recomended

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2004, 02:20 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greddy Profec B II - advisory - not recomended

hey gang - today at the DC Evo club dyno day / meet at Agile Automotiver in Maryland he had several Evos with the Gredy Profec B II. I used to love the Profec B I - it was super nice on my WRX.

This Profec B II really sucks though and I have had countless Evos which could not hold steady boost with these boost controllers they are super hard to dial in and they never seem to work right

With the Dyno Pak dyno at Agile we were logging the boost right onto the dyno and could really see just how miserable a job these boost controlers do at keeping a stready boost

One car was so bad they elected to remove the Profec B II on the spot and switch to a E Boost by Turbo Smart

That particular car had a serious situation with the Profec B - while trying to dial in in a few days before the owner had accidentally over boosted his car to over 30 psi and blown his EGT sensor out of the manifold. Now his car was only making 150 psi on a compression test - not a good sign.

BTW - the E boost by Turbo Smart impressed me so very much that I decided to buy one on the spot to try out on my evo

The Turbo Smart rep was there at the dyno day and I really was impressed by the capabilities of that unit and by the way it performed on the evo we tested it on

Also - the HKS EVC V works flawlessly and is super simple

AVOID the Profec B Ii at any cost - its a nightmare which makes every single tune I do on a car with one a living nightmare - I am sick of them and want to give you guys the heads up. Its a nice looking a cheap unit - but you are better off with a MBC
Old Mar 21, 2004, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

The Profec B is actually really good. Although there have been some cases of Profec Bs bought from Ebay ( new ) to malfuction.
When testing for the boost controller, make sure there are no boost leaks, that the extra port on teh valve is left OPEN ( remov ethe plastic cover from it, so it is venting to the athmosphere, that the START boost setting is at least 3 psi lower than your target boost, etc...
Old Mar 21, 2004, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

The only problem with the profec II is that it doesnt like to run in psi mode... I was having all kinds of dificulty tuning it in psi mode and having it hold boost. As soon as i switched it over to kpa/bar it worked like a dream. Im running 20 psi to redline now with no problems. I think it would be wise to explore all angles of a product before posting that it sux. just my 2 cents.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

If you can find a profec B gen 1 unit, I'd say go for it. I have a gen 1 and its awesome. Rock solid boost and you have it "tuned" in a couple of minutes tops. I love it.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 01:07 PM

My profec B Spec II is working like a champ. Holds 20 psi to redline. No probs
Old Mar 21, 2004, 02:02 PM

Mine is fine as well, even in PSI mode it holds boost. I had problmes with the overboost warning feature so I basically just turned that off.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 03:29 PM

how much is the E Boost by Turbo Smart
and where to buy, I have the Profec B II, but have never been really happy with it.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

I was one of the Profec guys. On the street, we got it holding pretty well, but it was a pain. I'd agree with Al suggesting that you stick with the easy/constant MBC. He still got great results with what he was working with.

1 Very happy customer!
Old Mar 21, 2004, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

will the MBC prevent boost spikes though?

Originally posted by SterlingEvo
I was one of the Profec guys. On the street, we got it holding pretty well, but it was a pain. I'd agree with Al suggesting that you stick with the easy/constant MBC. He still got great results with what he was working with.

Last edited by evo542; Mar 21, 2004 at 06:00 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 04:44 PM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by Kinmar_X
The only problem with the profec II is that it doesnt like to run in psi mode... I was having all kinds of dificulty tuning it in psi mode and having it hold boost. As soon as i switched it over to kpa/bar it worked like a dream. Im running 20 psi to redline now with no problems. I think it would be wise to explore all angles of a product before posting that it sux. just my 2 cents.
Interesting - I'll check that theory out !

BTW guys - I don;t sell any boost controllers

I just hate it when a guy comes to me and is having problems with something he spend hard earned money on

I have been tuning evos for some time and have had ZERO problems with MBC cars and ZERO problems with the HKS EVC - - on the greddys about half of them just don;t work right and the ones that do work - still make a wavey boost curve which I don't care for

I don;t like it - thats all
Old Mar 21, 2004, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Mine is smooooooth as a baby butt. No problems with my spec-b and was so easy to dial in. But there are some faulty units out there from what ive read on the forum ,somthing about a bad diode or something like. But mine is sweet would trade it for any other BC out there.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 05:12 PM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by Quickshift
Mine is smooooooth as a baby butt. No problems with my spec-b and was so easy to dial in. But there are some faulty units out there from what ive read on the forum ,somthing about a bad diode or something like. But mine is sweet would trade it for any other BC out there.
This is very good info and would explain why some of them are OK and others just blink and beep and don;t work !!!!!!!!!!!!

Any ideas on how to find out if your unit is effected ?
Old Mar 21, 2004, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Hi,

i talked to Kenjy from Greddy about this. according to him there are some faulty units that have a bad diode in them that will cause them to act funny. i think that it jas something to do with the serial number of the unit. IIRC, from unit 6000 and on, the probem has been fixed and the EBC works great.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
AL i know by the serial number. There was a thread on this issue that said exactly what serial numbers of the Profec B II were affected. Mine is affected and even in KPA i cannot hold a steady boost to redline no matter what settings I used. On low boost setting it holds awesome at about 15psi. possiable i have a boost leak with 21psi. I'm working on getting my unit fixed SNIR is working on the issue because greddy is being a B*(&H about it.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Al is absolutely correct. It's a RAGING POS. I'm switching to a Hallman RX Pro for now (As I see spikes, fluctuations, and general anomolies with boost with my Profec) and when I go to a larger turbo, I'll be going to the e-boost unit.

Quick Reply: Greddy Profec B II - advisory - not recomended