Notices
DynoFlash [Visit Site]

US's Fastest 1/4 mile run in Evo 8 - went to the track today !

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2004, 04:58 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US's Fastest 1/4 mile run in Evo 8 - went to the track today !

Hey guys - I just want to say I love my Evo !

By fastest - I mean TRAP speed - major props to RNR for breaking my quickest mark and being the first into 10's !

How many cars can you drive 230 miles to Maryland - (dyno day at Agile) - do fun runs with 4 guys in the car

Drive back at 5:00 a.m. in the morning - pour in a can of race gas do 15 mins of tuning for my new intake manifold and go out and run a 11.61 @ 125.38 mph in the 1/4 mile??????? All with NO NOS - full interior and large McIntosh amp in the back !

I was very traction limited in the cold 40 degree temps - but no excuses ! It is what it is !

The intake from Magnus is good for 3 - 4 mph in the 1/4 - my car weighed 3450 with me 290 - do the math

I am sick of NOS and will be running all turbo this year - its more stimulating from a tuning point to tune the car with the turbo to get the power so I have removed the NOS

I'm not the quickest anymore - but already the fastest again !!!!!!!!

I did about 5 runs today and was the 2nd fastest qualifier in the Toyo Tires Event at Englishtown and

got to the final and came in 2nd and won some cash and a nice throphy - (lost to a trailered 1st gen with slicks)

I blew out a couple of sorry STI's and beat a lot of 1st gens

It was a great day

Very soon I will be making some faster runs when I fine the time for more tuning on higher boost and take out my amp! My goal is a 10.99

AND - as usual - I drove the car out of the track and nothing is broken !

I believe 100% the real sign of tuning tallent is NOT only getting the numbers - BUT also keeping the machinery alive and in one piece. I have 15,500 miles on my original driveline - just new clutch and 6,000 miles on my built motor

To me - its not saying much to bust out a fast number but also bust your car in the process - or even worse - the people who don't even get to the track but rather just blow up while building the car

My trip to Maryland and day at the track was intended to make a statement about how my theory of conservative and safe tuning can play out in a real world situation - not just a 11 second window - but rather a much more difficult challenge

Again, I couldn't do any of this without my Evo - its a great car

Last edited by DynoFlash; Mar 21, 2004 at 05:10 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

sweet traps speed i'm looking forward into seeing 10s, but this is really impressive, anybody with a camera recorded the run?
Old Mar 21, 2004, 05:08 PM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by evo542
sweet traps speed i'm looking forward into seeing 10s, but this is really impressive, anybody with a camera recorded the run?
There were some guys there with cameras

Any other decent drive would have been in the 10's today - I am just too fat and too conservative ! I really do all the shifting too easy and prefer to make the numbers with sheer whp - thats how my WRX is still the fastest street driver WRX ever at 124 - 2nd after ESX race car - that WRX was a 10 second car also and it only ran a 11.88 - I am just too easy and smooth with my shfting and launching - - having 5 WRX trannys break taught me to be very gentle on AWD turbo cars
Old Mar 21, 2004, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

you gonna break 10's soon.i can't wait to read about that.great job
Old Mar 21, 2004, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by DynoFlash
I am just too easy and smooth with my shfting and launching - - having 5 WRX trannys break taught me to be very gentle on AWD turbo cars
i totally agree, the EVO's dont like fast shifts, 100% sure you will mishift if you throw the stick too quick, i've seen this happen many times, let the trap speed speak for itself
Old Mar 21, 2004, 06:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Good job Al..keep the T-case in the car!
Old Mar 21, 2004, 06:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: US's Fastest 1/4 mile run in Evo 8 - went to the track today !

Originally posted by DynoFlash
Hey guys - I just want to say I love my Evo !

By fastest - I mean TRAP speed - major props to RNR for breaking my quickest mark and being the first into 10's !

How many cars can you drive 230 miles to Maryland - (dyno day at Agile) - do fun runs with 4 guys in the car

Drive back at 5:00 a.m. in the morning - pour in a can of race gas do 15 mins of tuning for my new intake manifold and go out and run a 11.61 @ 125.38 mph in the 1/4 mile??????? All with NO NOS - full interior and large McIntosh amp in the back !

I was very traction limited in the cold 40 degree temps - but no excuses ! It is what it is !

The intake from Magnus is good for 3 - 4 mph in the 1/4 - my car weighed 3450 with me 290 - do the math

I am sick of NOS and will be running all turbo this year - its more stimulating from a tuning point to tune the car with the turbo to get the power so I have removed the NOS

I'm not the quickest anymore - but already the fastest again !!!!!!!!

I did about 5 runs today and was the 2nd fastest qualifier in the Toyo Tires Event at Englishtown and

got to the final and came in 2nd and won some cash and a nice throphy - (lost to a trailered 1st gen with slicks)

I blew out a couple of sorry STI's and beat a lot of 1st gens

It was a great day

Very soon I will be making some faster runs when I fine the time for more tuning on higher boost and take out my amp! My goal is a 10.99

AND - as usual - I drove the car out of the track and nothing is broken !

I believe 100% the real sign of tuning tallent is NOT only getting the numbers - BUT also keeping the machinery alive and in one piece. I have 15,500 miles on my original driveline - just new clutch and 6,000 miles on my built motor

To me - its not saying much to bust out a fast number but also bust your car in the process - or even worse - the people who don't even get to the track but rather just blow up while building the car

My trip to Maryland and day at the track was intended to make a statement about how my theory of conservative and safe tuning can play out in a real world situation - not just a 11 second window - but rather a much more difficult challenge

Again, I couldn't do any of this without my Evo - its a great car
Al you must not know who you are dealing with.

Wind time back 3 yrs
I had this same car with vpc/gcc, stock mitsu bottom end, bolton red turbo with stock manifold, 17" strret tires, airconditioning, full interior..................10.5@134, and many many 10 sec passes. Car was 3300+ with me. I drove the car to the track for all those passes. Like I said there were many witnesses, I was kicked out of Englishtown and LI raceway for running 10.5 and 10.8 with no cage on multiple occasions, ask Javier Ortega of NHRA/Englishtown raceway.

Which is why I am not in the least bit impressed by the evo stuff. Nobody has one performing at the level (drag) yet that I would expect for newer technology blah blah. I hear a few shops will be debuting soon, so we will see.

Anyways to correct you I run hoosier pro dot (just like the great John Shepherd of Shepracing.com has run into the 8 sec bracket), legal for competition, and I trailer the car because I have the truck so why not. When it breaks I just take it home (not often, same motor for the last 3yrs, and my first built motor).

Al you witnessed that 11.0@139 (you have the slip) and the 10.1@143............same engine you have, you have a better trans.........

Forgot to turn on the nitrous on the last pass with you, car only ran 128mph on that pass with 22psi no juice, was still able to drive around you. Now imagine this much HP in an evo, it is coming.

But you know what, you showed up, you competed and did well, so congrats on doing well.

To remind you, I build the engines, prep the car, do ALL my wrenching myself, and program the Haltech E11v2 myself (Do it for alot of others also)

Why is it you evo guys seem to want to categorize the evo differently. Wait till the hardore DSM guys start to mess with the evos, give it a few months the evo world will be put into an uproar by certain things that are about to happen, I am betting by April 24th things will start to unfold.

Don't touch that Dial!!

Sean Ivey

Last edited by Sean I; Mar 21, 2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

hey al
let me drive that beast into the 10's anything i break you can take it from my car i am about 150lbs lighter
you need someone to drive it like they stole it

hey i need to stop by so you can show me how to use that AEM
Old Mar 21, 2004, 08:29 PM
Account Disabled

Re: Re: US's Fastest 1/4 mile run in Evo 8 - went to the track today !

Originally posted by Sean I

Al you must not know who you are dealing with.

Wind time back 3 yrs
I had this same car with vpc/gcc, stock mitsu bottom end, bolton red turbo with stock manifold, 17" strret tires, airconditioning, full interior..................10.5@134, and many many 10 sec passes. Car was 3300+ with me. I drove the car to the track for all those passes. Like I said there were many witnesses, I was kicked out of Englishtown and LI raceway for running 10.5 and 10.8 with no cage on multiple occasions, ask Javier Ortega of NHRA/Englishtown raceway.

Which is why I am not in the least bit impressed by the evo stuff. Nobody has one performing at the level (drag) yet that I would expect for newer technology blah blah. I hear a few shops will be debuting soon, so we will see.

Anyways to correct you I run hoosier pro dot (just like the great John Shepherd of Shepracing.com has run into the 8 sec bracket), legal for competition, and I trailer the car because I have the truck so why not. When it breaks I just take it home (not often, same motor for the last 3yrs, and my first built motor).

Al you witnessed that 11.0@139 (you have the slip) and the 10.1@143............same engine you have, you have a better trans.........

Forgot to turn on the nitrous on the last pass with you, car only ran 128mph on that pass with 22psi no juice, was still able to drive around you. Now imagine this much HP in an evo, it is coming.

But you know what, you showed up, you competed and did well, so congrats on doing well.

To remind you, I build the engines, prep the car, do ALL my wrenching myself, and program the Haltech E11v2 myself (Do it for alot of others also)

Why is it you evo guys seem to want to categorize the evo differently. Wait till the hardore DSM guys start to mess with the evos, give it a few months the evo world will be put into an uproar by certain things that are about to happen, I am betting by April 24th things will start to unfold.

Don't touch that Dial!!

Sean Ivey
Sean - I wanted to tell you that you are a true gentleman. Its running across the occassional class act like you that makes life a pleasure. You carry yourself well. Your car is impressive and your a great insiprtaion to me.

You're car was the victor today and any excuses or BS talk would just be idiotic on my behalf

I'm proud to have the chance to run you and I hope if I work hard that next time I'll be able to line up against you in the final again !

Please remember - these cars are like extensions of our personality, we all have our own dream and vision for our ride and move in our own direction. I am not interested in talking evo vs. old school, its irrelevant. Each rider chooses his own whip and thats that.

I respect you that you have created such a wonderful car and also that you are always at the track and doing what you are doing with a smiling face.

As far as any "developments" on the 24th with other evos, my concept for my own car is more like the HKS time attck evo and less like a top fuel funny car - not to knock anyone else - but just to let you know the drag racing is only part of the picture for my own ride.

Best regards
Old Mar 21, 2004, 08:46 PM
Account Disabled

Re: Re: US's Fastest 1/4 mile run in Evo 8 - went to the track today !

Sean Ivey
Sean - I just had to add - the point of the evo is not just a drag comparison to a lighter old school dsm

Remember - the Evo is one of the quickest stopping cars on the planet - breaking several magazine's all time test records

It also handles amazingly

I don't think you want to try to beat Robi's road course records he has set with his Buschur Stage 4 evo with your car ?

There is more to a car than just the straight line

I am MORE than pleased with my power levels - its something that I can maintain on a consistant basis and its reliable and streetable

I am not knocking what you guys are doing what so ever - its just that I see the olds school vs. evo as comparing apples and oranges - IMHO

- BTW - don't you think I could put a bigger turbo on my car IF I wanted ? With the money I spent on my car I could basically so anything I wanted - I speced out a smallish HKS 3037 S for the improved driveability and tractability of the power band - its a very pleaant turbo to live with on the street

My motor is a fully built DSM set up with all the best of the best inside - it could handle any boost I want to throw - I only had 27 psi today

BTW - - ALL I need to do now is throw in a fuel cell - a bosch pump and the 3240 turbo and it could be giving you a run for your money the next time we meet

ANd . you have to admit - I had you at the tree and off the line - AND the rest of the guys I faced today - I may shift slowly but I can cut a good tree !
Old Mar 21, 2004, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Damn Al... Your first post was so civil too.

Bah... I was workin on the Evo and couldn't make it to Agile >=/

Really wanted to see the beast machine in person maybe next time.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 08:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Al,
You are doing your thing, you were infact the fastest evo there today (Faster than all the subarus?), you drove it there, you ran your times and you drove home. There is alot to be said for a car that does that, and I respect your effort in doing so.
Alot of people were asking about the car, and I am sure the times will improve.

But you are right, everyone's vision is different for their car, and to have an 11.5 sec car that can hit the roadcourse is a worthwile accomplishment.

I am in no way trying to deminish, the accomplishments you have made, in fact I am impressed. You are still the #1 evo and as a matter of fact in addition to running your mouth (which you do to the pleasure of many and the chagrin of a few :-)) you back it up with a very good effort at the track, alot don't show up. Can't argue with the finish you made today. Congrats again, and of course I will see you at the track.

As for the other efforts, drag is the big thing now in the US, and alot of people will be focusing more on that. My friends over at TTR are more focused on the drag end of it, and we will see soon what they can offer to the evo community in terms of R&D for high HP parts and such, they are looking to have fun like everyone else but of course there will be competition between groups.

Sean
Old Mar 21, 2004, 09:05 PM
Former Sponsor

OMG, now I just read the last post.
Al, I don't roadrace.

I don't know who Robbie is.

I went to Englishtown to Drag race.

Run for my money? Al I let you leave today!!! and then realized I forgot to turn the Nitrous on!!!! I was messing with people like that all day (like my 10.7@113 coasting) . Of course I still drove around you and had time to hit the 4 ways.

I was wondering why it took me so long to hunt you down.

Anyways I am done with this, I don't want this to turn sour then I won't get to listen to you bash the subbie guys.

Sean
Old Mar 21, 2004, 09:06 PM
Account Disabled

Al,
You are doing your thing, you were infact the fastest evo there today (Faster than all the subarus?), you drove it there, you ran your times and you drove home. There is alot to be said for a car that does that, and I respect your effort in doing so.
Alot of people were asking about the car, and I am sure the times will improve.

But you are right, everyone's vision is different for their car, and to have an 11.5 sec car that can hit the roadcourse is a worthwile accomplishment.

I am in no way trying to deminish, the accomplishments you have made, in fact I am impressed. You are still the #1 evo and as a matter of fact in addition to running your mouth (which you do to the pleasure of many and the chagrin of a few :-)) you back it up with a very good effort at the track, alot don't show up. Can't argue with the finish you made today. Congrats again, and of course I will see you at the track.

As for the other efforts, drag is the big thing now in the US, and alot of people will be focusing more on that. My friends over at TTR are more focused on the drag end of it, and we will see soon what they can offer to the evo community in terms of R&D for high HP parts and such, they are looking to have fun like everyone else but of course there will be competition between groups.

Sean
Thanks man - I am sure what TTR has in store will be of great interest and you know there are some other shops in the area . hint hint . . which have similar plans

Maybe I will also graduate to the point of resting my evo as daily driver - honestly - I just like having that shot of boost hitting my fat *** every day !!!!!!!!!

Since most of my customers are using the evo as daily drivers - I like to focus on that area as it shows that my ideas can function on the track and also on the street with acceptable reliability and performance

As far as trash talking them slow ba rus - I figure I can keep trash talking them so long as I am still the second fastest one every in the usa in the 1/4 mile on WRX's - miss my ol'e rex - but its a joke of a car compared to the evo !!! Why put the turbo up behind the engine like your ashamed of it . . anyway thats a different story !

PS - I am no longer the quickest - as of yesterday - some guy went 10.6 at about 117 or so in an Evo 8 - - now I am just the fastest - having beat Ultimate Racing's times

PPS - I am sure all the big dawgs will be at the DSM shootout in August !
Old Mar 22, 2004, 01:17 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats AL. And Props to Sean. Its great seeing friendly competitivness in sports we all love and put our heart and sweat into.

Ken

Quick Reply: US's Fastest 1/4 mile run in Evo 8 - went to the track today !