Notices
DynoFlash [Visit Site]

Dyno proof HKS RS Intake vs. K & N drop in - 11 whp difference

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2004, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I installed the RMR intake a while ago (over a year now), they told me it should yield about a 6-8 hp gain. Looks like they were right (again). Of course the thing to keep in mind is that for the most part, every mod benefits each subsequent mod. For example, by improving your intake, when you improve the exhaust, airflow overall is improved. That's why I followed the path of improving all airflow (IC pipes, intake & pipe, 3" exhaust) as my first step in modding the Evo. Now I am working on fuel and boost. The last stage will be internals and beefing up the driveline.
Old May 24, 2004, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AL I just got you to dynoflash my ecu , I have the stock intake pipe if i get the Bruscher intake pipe will my ecu need to be dynoflashed again ? (mods=3"Buscher tb no cat , cone air fliter , mbc , 255hp ).
Old May 24, 2004, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Al, you are right. The HKS RS kit hits a lot harder compared to the rest, and switching from a panel filter to teh RS kit makes us add a lot of extra fuel on topend. I have compared several AEM maps, and the ones with RS kits are the "fattest".

George
Old May 25, 2004, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by matt55
AL I just got you to dynoflash my ecu , I have the stock intake pipe if i get the Bruscher intake pipe will my ecu need to be dynoflashed again ? (mods=3"Buscher tb no cat , cone air fliter , mbc , 255hp ).
bump?
Old May 25, 2004, 01:21 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by matt55
bump?
It would be wise to do that

Do you ahve a base flash or custom tune - OR a Bushur Flash ?
Old May 25, 2004, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

fire ball 3 , got it last week but i didnt think that intake pipe would make HP so never looked into them ........ my new flash has WAY more tq that with the s-afc
Old May 25, 2004, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Al...for the people that have your flash...

would you recomend or NOT recomend they change their filter setup without having another flash done?
Old May 25, 2004, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
So much for the theories advanced by other "tuners" who say there are no gains from aftermarket intakes

W esee huge gains from the HKS RS kit and also from the Buschur intake combined with suction tube

Also to a lesser extent the cusco intake tube is very good

THE APS intake is seriously powerful - but requires a full custom tune b/c of the way it significantly effects the air flow signal

Im just playing devil's advocate here, but isn't it true that the difference in power could also be attributed to several other factors:

1) varying conditions when the car was dynoed
a) the ambient temp
b) HOW it was dynoed, e.g. whether fans where placed in front of the IC's and the intake
2) the amount of time after the respective intakes were put on, to allow the ECU to adjust to them
Old May 25, 2004, 04:25 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by alex_alex
Im just playing devil's advocate here, but isn't it true that the difference in power could also be attributed to several other factors:

1) varying conditions when the car was dynoed
a) the ambient temp
b) HOW it was dynoed, e.g. whether fans where placed in front of the IC's and the intake
2) the amount of time after the respective intakes were put on, to allow the ECU to adjust to them
I did all the tuning and dyno work - I go to great lengths to replicate the same exact conditions every time I dyno - e.g. same colling fan location - same length of time between pulls - same starting and stopping points etc etc etc

We did these SAE corrected and uncorrected - the temps were basically the same

Furthermore - we see these kind of numbers on all the cars we tune with the intakes and ones without - they all fall within a certain range and we see the range a significantly higher level on cars with the buschur inatake and the RS suction kit

Finally - keep in mind we don't sell HKS and actually I do not reallly like the guys at HKS USA so there is no financial motivation at play here

I am simply trying to keep all my customers up to date on what works the best as obviously when we are custom tuning the cars we want to see big whp numbers on the dyno sheets

LAST thought - WITH the DYNO FLASH - you need to change your tune when you change intakes
Old May 25, 2004, 04:44 PM

The AEM is not in the same league

For unknown reasons they consistantly produce lower whp on the dyno

Although its a well made unit and it reads the maf signal very consistantly - - it does seem to lack the gains I see with the Buschur and HKS units

WHY - I can't tell you but I am seeing a trend in DOZENS of the cars with AEM intakes

didnt dave have the AEM and a 2 1/2in dp, and muffler delete, boost controler and fuel pump dyno 303 whp and 324 lbs of torque. if he had a full 3 in i bet he would have made even more. i mean you flashed it the agile meet nice curve btw .
Old May 25, 2004, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

LAST thought - WITH the DYNO FLASH - you need to change your tune when you change intakes

Yeah I figured because your tuning for THAT intake at THAT time and your leaning it out to a safe level. Any change to the intake...and you run the risk of going too lean and blowing stuff up. Just wanted to get your input so the others know for sure...someone was bound to ask that didn't know for sure!!!

STILL loving your tune Al....just blew a newer style M3 on the way home today. Was a short burst...I don't like street racing....maybe 1/8 mile or slightly more. When I backed down...he flies by full throttle and honks his horn and flips me off. LOL my bad...I don't like people riding my @$$! LOL
Old May 25, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Basic|Evo
didnt dave have the AEM and a 2 1/2in dp, and muffler delete, boost controler and fuel pump dyno 303 whp and 324 lbs of torque. if he had a full 3 in i bet he would have made even more. i mean you flashed it the agile meet nice curve btw .

That Dave would be me ;-) Nice to hear from ya again!! Yes, I do have the AEM and have no problems with it at all. With my mods listed below I did make 303hp/324tq at Agile

Yes, I do need to get a full 3" turboback instead of the 2.5"DP and Muff delete but I need some of that money stuff BTW, I think I got some good results out of the 2.5"DP and Delete pipe...
Old May 26, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by GottaGoFaster
That Dave would be me ;-) Nice to hear from ya again!! Yes, I do have the AEM and have no problems with it at all. With my mods listed below I did make 303hp/324tq at Agile

Yes, I do need to get a full 3" turboback instead of the 2.5"DP and Muff delete but I need some of that money stuff BTW, I think I got some good results out of the 2.5"DP and Delete pipe...

I didnt mean it that way i ment that you got the same hp and more torque with the aem intake 2.5"DP and Delete pipe. they said they did the tune on an evo with 3'' turbo back. i think you would have got even higher if you had 3" turbo back and made the aem look even better. we still need to hook up and go bust some SRT-4 ***** some weekend.
Old May 26, 2004, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

When anyone sets a car up on a dyno you have to open the hood and let the fan blow in cool air right? But under real everyday drving situations the bonnet is closed and the filters are sucking hot air from inside the engine bay and there will significantly less air blowing directly into the filter because there will be alot of turbulance within the engine compartment when a car is moving... doesnt this decrease power?

Just a thought though....

Cheers
Old May 27, 2004, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Al for some dyno data. It looks like the HKS RS PERFORMS real well especially with ECU tuning...but WAIT...doesn't it filter for "crap" and not worth the money spent?

Quick Reply: Dyno proof HKS RS Intake vs. K & N drop in - 11 whp difference