Notices
DynoFlash [Visit Site]

exhaust popping

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2004, 09:04 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jump23
yeah that seems to be the general consensus. This is some feedback I got from another source:

"Nothing needs to be fixed perse, but if you had a standalone, you could probably "manage" it out if it really bothered you The stock ECU should have parameters for decel fuel cutoff and it may take a second to completely shut off the injectors, especially if it has a decay rather than hard shut off. On the AEM for instance, I have mine set pretty tight to shut off totally with more than 10in/Hg vacuum (usually 14+), over 1500RPM with 0% TPS. I have no pops on decel, RMR turbo-back, no cat."
I am sure we could work on deceleration mapping in an effort to try and address your condition. However - in order to address it we would have to have the condition occuring at the time we are road tuning it.

I still say check your exhuast system for leaks - look at the areas of the flange junctions and also take a look on that unit where the support bracket joins the rear muffler section and look for a hole

Out of the 200 cars we have custom tuned w ehave not seen this particular condition what so ever

However - the RMR exhaust is not a very popular option at this time - unlike the very early days when it was the only game in town
Old Sep 24, 2004, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got an HKS hi-power exhaust, and it pops too. Performance wise, thas the only mod I have so far. What I do is, when I'm about to change gears, if I change quickly, and once the next gear is engaged, i give it gas, HARD, and then it pops. Pretty cool hehe

Sometimes its loud, other times its subtle.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a full Buschur exhaust (turbo back) w/ Catco high-flow converter, and mine pops very often when quickly shifting gears at high RPMs. That is with a quick let-off, shift, back on the gas. If I shift real slowly and smoothly it does not pop. I would say it happens at least 20-30% of the time, under the stated conditions.

EVOlutionary
Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 93h22cvc
on a decell it is common on a turbo charged car to pop a little if you are touching the gas pedal just a little.i have seen this condition numerous times

happens to me too....i kind of like it actually...sometimes if it is under hard decel the nice pop of fire comes flying out of the exhaust and it is funny to always see the people behind me all of sudden slow down because of it.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

the pop is a slight backfire. i have a custom O2 housing, 3" dp, no cat and a complete straight pipe. a few other mods also. I also have a great reflash from Al.
Turbo cars do this frequently. Its the unburnt gas particles not being collected by the cat that stay in the exhaust that pop. When enough pressure is built up, they pop giving you the back fire noise. This mainly happens when you are idling down, it allows the pressure to build up because there is not enough pressure being pushed out by the motor to push the unburnt gas out. Nothing to be afraid of. I think of it as an audible way to know that I'm running slightly rich. Rich=safe
Old Oct 1, 2004, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

I get it a little too, usually when Ive been "spirited"

I noticed about a 2-3in. black streak around the slip clamp between the mid pipe and axel back section. I tightened it and cleaned off the exhaust and haven't had the streak come back really, still pops a little though. Just my experience.

RnR catback w/ catco cat magnaflow muffler and Tanabe DP