Notices
DynoFlash [Visit Site]

Al, what cams would you recomend?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2004, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Al, what cams would you recomend?

I am getting MBC from you, will put 3" exhaust, fuel pump, cams and your flash.
I am thinking 264's.
From your expierience, are 264's good or should I go with 272's?
No other mods planed for now. Maybe next year.
Thanks
Greg
Old Jun 28, 2004, 01:19 PM
Account Disabled

check out this thread,hope this helps https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=74612 BTW,I like my 264's and seems like I had the same mods when this dyno run/custm tune was done as you have,except that I had 650 cc injectors
Old Jun 28, 2004, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks turboDan
I read it already.
I still want to get an advice from someone that worked on evos with different cams.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

MY BAD
That was a different post that I read.
Thanks again
Old Jun 28, 2004, 02:23 PM
Account Disabled

On stock ecus with our Dyno Flash and stock bottom ends we recoemend the HKS 264 / 264 set up

When you start with stand alone ecus and built motors we have different suggestions depending on how you intend to use the car
Old Jun 28, 2004, 02:56 PM

I'm considering that Tomei 260 Procams. I wanted to go with a bit smaller than the HKS 264 because I wanted to get as much out of the enigine at lower R's than at higher. The whole drag racing scene is fun, but I'd rather put all my effort toward building a car with a very strong mid-range powerband.

Now I know that there are plenty of Evo's out there running 264 for road racing, but I just wanted to try something different. One of my friends who competes in One Lap Am every year and was in the last SCC Challenge 3 recommended the Tomei to me and I trust his judgement very well. He has multiple cars, but his road race car is a fully built Skyline R32 and I've never been in anything else that could ever compare to it.

My question to you was have you ever worked with the Tomei Procams and if not, would you be able to tune them? I didn't want to get something that nobody in the U.S. could tune.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 03:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
On stock ecus with our Dyno Flash and stock bottom ends we recoemend the HKS 264 / 264 set up
Do you suggest running the stock cam gears with the hks 264's on pump gas or gettign adjustable cam gears?
Old Jun 28, 2004, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken8masters
I'm considering that Tomei 260 Procams. I wanted to go with a bit smaller than the HKS 264 because I wanted to get as much out of the enigine at lower R's than at higher. The whole drag racing scene is fun, but I'd rather put all my effort toward building a car with a very strong mid-range powerband.
Remember it's not just the duration (260 vs. 264) but also the lift of the cam.
The reason people like the KHS cams is because the lift is the same as stock, so you
can use the stock valve train.
Most of the other cams require you to also change the springs,etc, because the extra lift will
tend to bind the stock springs..
Old Jun 28, 2004, 03:53 PM
Account Disabled

I remember a little over a year ago when I was trying to figure out which cams to get fo my evo talking with a tech at HKS USA

Al - "Why don't I get the bigger cams?"

HKS - "If bigger was always better with cams , we would only make 360 degree cams"

As for cam gears - we do not recoemend them for several reasons

#1 - they indtroduce reliability issues

#2 - They mostly just MOVE th power band up and down and we find the power band compromise is good withy the hks 264's teh way they come

#3 - To fine tune cam gears ususally requires several hours of dyno time to dial them in properly - we DISAGREE with the trend to use off the shelf cam gear settings - we have taken many a evo back to 0 - 0 - settings and seen the trq and spol up increase

As for tomie cams - they are good - I receomend them also - I can tune them no problem. We have seen virtually identical numbers with those pro cams as with the hks ones
Old Jun 28, 2004, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Will the 264/264 setup be sufficient with a medium size turbo? I'm gearing toward the BR500 or the ATP turbo kits. More likely ATP because I like that fact that it's BB and water cool with external wastegated. I like the idea of not having to spend the extra cash on a set of cam gears. Hp goal is 430whp-450whp on 93 oct. ECU goal is dynoflash and fine tune with UTECH: Running MAP sensor.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 04:40 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by masterevo
Will the 264/264 setup be sufficient with a medium size turbo? I'm gearing toward the BR500 or the ATP turbo kits. More likely ATP because I like that fact that it's BB and water cool with external wastegated. I like the idea of not having to spend the extra cash on a set of cam gears. Hp goal is 430whp-450whp on 93 oct. ECU goal is dynoflash and fine tune with UTECH: Running MAP sensor.
430 whp on pump gas is a very touh target to reach

My car makes 430 whp on pump gas - but with bigger valves , head work and a lot of other tricks

IMHO 400 is a good pump gas target on the stock engine

I would prfer the 264 cams on anything with the stock ecu and stock block
Old Jun 28, 2004, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

HKS 264's are the bomb. I don't think there is a better cam that is easier or cheaper to install. They make alot of midrange torque and pull hard on the top end.

Brian
Old Jun 28, 2004, 06:49 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
HKS 264's are the bomb. I don't think there is a better cam that is easier or cheaper to install. They make alot of midrange torque and pull hard on the top end.

Brian
Turbo dawg - I greatly appreciated your discussion of peak power on injector size in the other area of the forum
Old Jun 28, 2004, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Turbo dawg - I greatly appreciated your discussion of peak power on injector size in the other area of the forum
Your welcome. I did the calculations to try to estimate my duty cycle and found out they really werent all that high as long as the car is tuned properly (i.e. not running overly rich).

Have you seen any higher MAF flow rates than 38 lbs./min with the stock turbo? I have seen in the very high 37.8 lbs/min range on my car, but never any higher. It takes alot of RPM's to see this peak number too, so it really doesn't matter on the boost pressure with the stock turbo, because it will come down to 21 psi on the top end because it is running out of air.

Brian
Old Jun 28, 2004, 08:27 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
Your welcome. I did the calculations to try to estimate my duty cycle and found out they really werent all that high as long as the car is tuned properly (i.e. not running overly rich).

Have you seen any higher MAF flow rates than 38 lbs./min with the stock turbo? I have seen in the very high 37.8 lbs/min range on my car, but never any higher. It takes alot of RPM's to see this peak number too, so it really doesn't matter on the boost pressure with the stock turbo, because it will come down to 21 psi on the top end because it is running out of air.

Brian
Interesting calculations - there is no dounbt in my mind WHY your evo is so fast with such minimal modifications !

Interestingly with my old turbo - 780 cc injectors - 49 psi of static fuel pressure I was at 94% duty cycle on the injectors with 28 psi of boost. With the new turbo I hit 100% duty cycle at only 26 psi and now have to upgrade to 1000 injectors which should be here tomorrow. It should be interesting to see what the air flow calculates to on this new turbo, its only rated at 30 more whp than the last one but seems to have much bigger lungs

Quick Reply: Al, what cams would you recomend?