Notices
DynoFlash [Visit Site]

AL Goes 10.59 with AMS Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2004, 01:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
I just got a call from AL about 5 minutes ago and on his FIRST pass with the new setup he went 10.59@137.3 MPH. His Evo went 6.93@103.4 in the 8th. Congrats AL I am glad we finally got you into our kit as we suspected you did great things with it. I am sure he will be calling later on today with a better time He wanted me to post this up celebrating his times and how much he loves the AMS GT35R Turbo kit. WAY TO GO AL!

Eric
I was in this Autoshop one time and they were talking about an AMS turbokit to be placed on an Evo 6 that presently hit a record of 10.6 @ 143.7mph. the evo uses a Turbonetics T Series Ball Bearing Turbocharger. I think they wanna smash the Philippine drag racing record of 9.8 set by a Camaro. So i think that turbokit really kicks.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats AL.

And yes, just cause he is running the AMS now doesnt mean that his past praise is null and void................ya know what he never ran a BR kit on his car ever.

The thing that sticks out most on my mind is his reccomendation of the BR kits (specifically the br440 if your gonna run pump gas) being perfect for those as far as price per horsepower, after finishing off stages I-IV. Just cause he ran a HKS and now an AMS.......does not detract from that one bit.

Great times AL !
Old Aug 29, 2004, 08:22 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by twan
Congrats AL.

And yes, just cause he is running the AMS now doesnt mean that his past praise is null and void................ya know what he never ran a BR kit on his car ever.

The thing that sticks out most on my mind is his reccomendation of the BR kits (specifically the br440 if your gonna run pump gas) being perfect for those as far as price per horsepower, after finishing off stages I-IV. Just cause he ran a HKS and now an AMS.......does not detract from that one bit.

Great times AL !
Twan - I am glad that you understand this without me even having to explain it

The reason why I recomend the BR 440 kit is becuase with a stock bottom end and pump gas we never tune cars over 430 whp becuase the stock bottom end can not reliably hold more power than that

Sure - the AMS kit - at almost TWICE the price of the Buschur kit CAN make more than 440 whp - BUT when we tuned the AMS kit on a stock EVO with a Dyno Flash we made only 444 whp on race fuel and did not DARE raise the boost higher - so the xtra capacity of the AMS kit was wasted

NOW - the kicker - the Buschur kit spools up at the SAME point as stock - and the AMS kit spools up at least 1,000 rpms later

Obviously the AMS kit can be ordered with smaller turbos - but we have not tested those set ups

The reason wy I recomend the Buschur kit is becuase its a great value for the money and it works really well

As for the BR 500 we made over 500 whp with it on a reflash - which was amazing

Also - I have been told by Dave Buschur that he is now offering the SAME GT 35 R series ball bearing turbos as in the AMS kits on his cast manifold kit - - again have not tested those yet either

The bottom line in turbo selection is to selct the proprly size turbo for your use and engine set up

Getting too big a turbo is going to make a laggy and unpleasant car to drive - while to small a turbo is - well - like stock

The AMS and Buschur kits are BOTH great units and the decision on which one to get depends on your budget and your intended application

Just as some people will use HKS 264 cams and others want JUN 272 - - it depends on how you plan to use the car
Old Aug 29, 2004, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Is there any data saying that stock bottom end cant hold 450whp? I mean, it's not like we road race our personal evo, so it doesnt hit 450whp day in and day out, 24 hours a day. Just like 19psi of boost, I dont hit that boost level everytime I drive. Most of the time, I wont be on boost at all. Well, maybe 4-5 psi. And doesnt the sparco evo still have stock bottom end? Plus, the br440 is almost like the stock turbo. I think it's too small for many of us. Just my .02 cents.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 08:43 PM

Al, what did you break in eliminations?

Masterevo, this thread is about Al's results with the AMS turbokit, not how much you can reliably hold on the stock bottom end, which has been covered in at least a dozen threads. And some of us do road-race our personal Evo's.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:25 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by masterevo
Is there any data saying that stock bottom end cant hold 450whp? I mean, it's not like we road race our personal evo, so it doesnt hit 450whp day in and day out, 24 hours a day. Just like 19psi of boost, I dont hit that boost level everytime I drive. Most of the time, I wont be on boost at all. Well, maybe 4-5 psi. And doesnt the sparco evo still have stock bottom end? Plus, the br440 is almost like the stock turbo. I think it's too small for many of us. Just my .02 cents.
"data"??? Are you looking for a statement from ?

These are just our recomendations for prudent limitations
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:27 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by metaphysical
Al, what did you break in eliminations?

Masterevo, this thread is about Al's results with the AMS turbokit, not how much you can reliably hold on the stock bottom end, which has been covered in at least a dozen threads. And some of us do road-race our personal Evo's.
I snapped of another half shaft end! I drew a 9 second honda so I had to try dumping the clutch and treeing him - did not work but I agve it the ole college try
Old Aug 30, 2004, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Another one? Weld those bastards in there good next time.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 08:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also - I have been told by Dave Buschur that he is now offering the SAME GT 35 R series ball bearing turbos as in the AMS kits on his cast manifold kit - - again have not tested those yet either
While I am sure that Dave is going to run a GT35R I dont think he will be running ours. our housing is designed by martin and it is NOT an off the shelf GT35R. That is why we have been having the success that we do. Martin spent over 3 months on the dyno engineering this turbo and the specifics on it are very hush hush.

Eric
Old Aug 30, 2004, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
NOW - the kicker - the Buschur kit spools up at the SAME point as stock - and the AMS kit spools up at least 1,000 rpms later
Could you tell us more about how the AMS35 spools and acts on the street ?

BTW Kick *** times
Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:03 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by matt55
Could you tell us more about how the AMS35 spools and acts on the street ?

BTW Kick *** times
Its a very good street turbo if you have the proper supporting mods

On more stock like vehicles it may be too laggy

On my car I am now working to slow down the spool up as it hits too hard
Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Could you ever have imagined the day would come when you were trying to SLOW spool down ???

Congrats Bro !!!

Isn't there someone out there that makes CF halfshafts ??? You would think you could find somebody to do it.

Of course, once you make them bulletproof, it's on to the next weakest link ....
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

103MPH in the 8th, just sick. The fact that the evo can hit that speed that quickly in that short of distance on street tires is amazing... AWD is a beautiful thing.

- Steve
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

nice!

Quick Reply: AL Goes 10.59 with AMS Turbo Kit