DynoFlash [Visit Site]

My Experience with Dynoflash

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2004, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool My Experience with Dynoflash

Hey all,

Just in case you missed my last post, I had asked for everyone's opinions about my crappy 1/4 mile times (my best time was a 13.7- but last year I ran a 13.8 bone stock). This was espicially alarming to me considering all the mods I did ( including dynoflash). Some people speculated that my car wasnt running correctly, possibly the tune being off. I have a full 3 inch turbo back exhaust (hi flow cat), walbro fuel pump, HKS RS kit, HKS SSBOV, UR underdrive pulley, greddy profec b spec boost controller set at 20.5, and dynoflash. I was expecting to be in the 12's.

Well after I sent Al a link to this post, he immediately offered me to come by him FOR FREE and put me on the dyno to check out whether something was wrong, or if i just needed some driving lessons.

The purpose of this thread is to show you the outcome of the dyno runs and my overall experience with his customer service and product.

Here's what we found:
#1 - due to my own negligence, my air filter was extremely dirty and clogged.. I failed to realize this needs to be cleaned/replaced every few months- Ive had it in for about a year and never cleaned it or replaced it. Here's the dyno run with the clogged filter:

After we replaced it he did a second run:

Finally he did some fine tuning and did a final run:

The hp my car is making is just fine. The clogged air filter definately did play a role, after we did the fine tuning we took it out again and the car definately pulls very strong.
I want to thank Al, and make everyone aware that his product is excellent. From my experience with his excellent customer service ( he wouldnt even let me buy him lunch- and didnt charge me a dime to check my car out), I would definately recommend his product to anyone looking to get the most out of their evo.

Finally I'll address some other issues that we found with my car that contribute to my bad 1/4 mile times. Mostly its the driving, but not necessarily my fault. My car does seem to have an issue with the clutch, where it does not disengage fast enough. I have the clutch masters stage 3 clutch. If you try to shift too fast from 2nd to 3rd, you will either miss or it will grind. As a result I was being very careful with my shifts, and although i wasnt missing them ( ok once i missed!) this is causing me to turn up some slower times. I have to wait a quick second when shifting from 2nd to 3rd to avoid the grind, and so Im not able to put down the numbers my car is capable of producing. Again I ran a 13.8 stock, but I also had the stock clutch and everything was ok. I was able to shift much quicker apparently.

So I am going to get this issue resolved somehow ( probably another post-- about what I can do to fix this clutch issue... maybe the stainless steel clutchline or an adjustment... or another clutch all together) and hopefully my syncros arent damaged!

In conclusion, once again, thanks very much Al, you did a fine job with my car, and I definately recommend your product and services to everyone!!!
Attached Thumbnails My Experience with Dynoflash-1strun.jpg   My Experience with Dynoflash-2ndrun.jpg   My Experience with Dynoflash-3rdrun.jpg  
Old Sep 10, 2004, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

So, you gained 2.8hp by replacing the filter with a clean one and it smoothed out the curve a little bit...or am I not reading it correctly

Edited

Last edited by GottaGoFaster; Sep 10, 2004 at 01:28 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GottaGoFaster
So, you gained 2.8hp by replacing the filter with a clean one and smoothed out the curvr a little bit...or am I not reading it correctly

i'm confused as well. Also have you ran atthe track yet to see if your times improved. Based on my previous drag racing experience the 5hp u gained will not get you very much if not any gains in your times... maybe im missing something?
Old Sep 10, 2004, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

hmm, a fine tuning and a clean air filter, netting 5-hp doesn't sound like much.

- Jason
Old Sep 10, 2004, 01:35 PM
Account Disabled

The point of these dyno sheets was that nothing was wrong with his tuning or engine which contributed to his sub par 1/4 mile reports, which had me greatly alarmed. The reflash through the mail for the HKS RS kit is probably our best product and I wanted to find out for myself first hand WHY his car was going slow slow at the track.

The first pull with proper boost on the dyno showed a NORMAL and expected mid 280 whp number - EVEN with 30,000 plus miles and a totally black clogged intake filter.

We installed a new foam element and re-pulled the dyno and the number was 286 to the wheels which is clearly within the range of what we advertise for the through the mail reflash and the dyno sheet was most impressive with a totally smooth and linear curve.

I felt that his a/f could use a little adjustment to even smooth things out even more and I tweaked it with one adjustment and yeilded 291 to the wheels with a almost perfect dyno sheet.

Given his slow times we wanted to verify that the reflash was working properly and it most certainly was. If we had given him a full custom tune he prob would have made another 5 - 10 whp - maybe not.

When I test drove the car - I discovered that the 3rd gear syncro was totally shot - possibly due to issues with the very poor disenagement of the clutch he was using. I forgot to ask if he had regularly changed his transmission fluids which is key. Obviously the bad shifting action on the 2 - 3 shift is impeeding his 1/4 mile times.

I appreciate this customer's very classy manner of dealing with his poor performance at the track. I am very greatful that he took the time to drive all the way to the dyno shop so we could test, verify and confirm exactly what was going on.

ALL Dyno Flash customers should know that IF they have any questions, problems or concerns - ALL they have to do is call me and I am very willing to try and assit them to resolve any issues they may have.

Last edited by DynoFlash; Sep 10, 2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Please. Lets attempt to keep all Products specific threads in their proper forums.

Moving this from Evo General to Dynoflash.

SC~
Old Sep 10, 2004, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice. That mail in flash is pretty much right on.