Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

flex fuel on stock ECU coming soon...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm still waiting on the fuel comp sensor and my output display. It's nice that I have 2 E85 stations in my small town, but my Evo is my only car, and it's not much help if there isn't a single other station that I can use in the state... which is why I am so happy to hear about the progress on this. Obviously for me the only concern is practicality.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed!
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

subscribed.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds great! Can't wait to see the end result.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YES! I am so glad I moved to MN! I caught the EVO mod bug again!

So I pretty much want to do everything that can be done to a stock ECU now. Flexfuel, speed density, 3 bar map, blah, blah, blah.

So I got a question here, I'm looking at a IX pinout diagram and I see quite a few unused pins. Are all these accessible for extra goodies like a flex fuel sensor or alky failsafe signal etc?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOgasmIX

So I got a question here, I'm looking at a IX pinout diagram and I see quite a few unused pins. Are all these accessible for extra goodies like a flex fuel sensor or alky failsafe signal etc?
As best as I've been able to determine, there is only one unused ADC input on the USDM Evo IX. None of the other unused pins are ADC inputs. If you want another ADC input, its necessary to give up a sensor already in use. The easiest one to give up is the rear O2 sensor. I've already got a working software rear O2 simulator that allows the rear O2 ADC input to be used for something else. tephra will be testing it for himself soon, and if he's happy with it, then he'll add it to his base ROMs.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
As best as I've been able to determine, there is only one unused ADC input on the USDM Evo IX. None of the other unused pins are ADC inputs. If you want another ADC input, its necessary to give up a sensor already in use. The easiest one to give up is the rear O2 sensor. I've already got a working software rear O2 simulator that allows the rear O2 ADC input to be used for something else. tephra will be testing it for himself soon, and if he's happy with it, then he'll add it to his base ROMs.
Ok, that sux. Any idea on what the other pins could be? Frequency? PWM? Digital? Has anyone explored those possibilities? Don't fuel composition sensors use frequency?

What about output pins?
Old Jan 29, 2008, 01:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Ok, that sux. Any idea on what the other pins could be? Frequency? PWM? Digital? Has anyone explored those possibilities? Don't fuel composition sensors use frequency?

What about output pins?
The unused pins could be any of those items. :-) Would be great if there was a way to find some table in the ROM that defines which I/O lookup in the ROM goes with actual pin IDs, but so far, no one has found any such table or correlation. The only way to go about it at the moment is to first find the I/O routines, tell EvoScan to monitor the RAM variable associated with each unused I/O lookup, and then apply signals to the unused pins.

Having two available ADC inputs is pretty handy. The flex fuel freq signal can converted to a 0-5V with a freq-to-V converter. The electronics company where Merkzu is getting the flex fuel composition gauges also makes a freq-to-V converter. There is also a guy on the forums here that was going to make one for me, but I haven't heard back from him in a few weeks.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

The unused pins could be any of those items. :-) Would be great if there was a way to find some table in the ROM that defines which I/O lookup in the ROM goes with actual pin IDs, but so far, no one has found any such table or correlation. The only way to go about it at the moment is to first find the I/O routines, tell EvoScan to monitor the RAM variable associated with each unused I/O lookup, and then apply signals to the unused pins.

Having two available ADC inputs is pretty handy. The flex fuel freq signal can converted to a 0-5V with a freq-to-V converter. The electronics company where Merkzu is getting the flex fuel composition gauges also makes a freq-to-V converter. There is also a guy on the forums here that was going to make one for me, but I haven't heard back from him in a few weeks.
Yeah, I saw that. Not a bad unit. But, Serbia?

I did some research and I have a pretty good idea on how to make one too. AND put it on a legit PCB. It would be better if we knew we could hook it straight to the ECU though, IMO. I also wanted to ax the clock and put a fuel composition display in its place for a cleaner looking install. And red too.

Also any ideas on what the fuel temperature is utilized for? I can't imagine it being too useful, but they have it, so maybe it is.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Fuel temperature is used for evap emissions control.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Fuel temperature is used for evap emissions control.
Ah. So nothing as far as we are concerned?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 02:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Ah. So nothing as far as we are concerned?
Evap won't function without it. I could route the IAT signal into the fuel temp code, and that would free up yet another ADC. Not sure whether the IAT would be close enough to the fuel temp for the Evap to work properly though. I'll get to the hurdle when people start asking for more than two ADCs. :-)
Old Jan 30, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

What about this conversion kit?

http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Detail?no=110

I was trying to find out more information about it through the website but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone know anything about it?
Old Feb 1, 2008, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Anything that only taps into the injector wires will not be sufficient for us
Old Feb 7, 2008, 01:08 PM

Subscribed.

Quick Reply: flex fuel on stock ECU coming soon...