Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Motor Oil with e85

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bzzbee2
Not sure if everyone following this post saw my post on oil analysis. but Mobil 1 holds up quite well to 85. I didnt notice the cooking oil smell from the Nevada E85.. Maybe now that i live here in cali i will get to smell that sweet smell.
I saw your post on SoCalEvo with your E85 oil analysis, but didn't see it here on EvoM.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:58 PM

I've been running Valvoline VR-1 20w50 when it's warm enough to run here in IL. I've put around 1000 gallons of E85 through the car on this oil.

In winter I run Mobil 10w30. I'm interested in this new Amsoil that Oil Doc talked about for winter use.

Valvoline's product page has this PDF where they state: "Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is recommended for engines burning gasoline and full or partial alcohol fuels in track and street service."

I haven't sent it out for testing, though. My oil also doesn't smell like cooking oil or a cocktail, nor is it milky when I change it.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by skiracer
I saw your post on SoCalEvo with your E85 oil analysis, but didn't see it here on EvoM.
Yea i havent posted it here yet. I was waiting and hoping the the postal serivce would locate the one sample... Unfortnately i dont think they will. That was the one sample that i did not send via fed-ex ground...

O well, im doing analysis on Motul 300V oil right now. Lots of desert/dry lake bed driving. I suspect the oil to be filthy after 2k miles. I noticed that the K&N panel Air filter did not grab a lot of the dust as the honeycomb just before the MAF was kinda dusty... along with everything else prior to the turbo.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

When i did some lakebed driving, i put pantyhose at the air inlet for the airbox. My K&N looked pretty clean afterwords
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

I noticed that the K&N panel Air filter did not grab a lot of the dust as the honeycomb just before the MAF was kinda dusty... along with everything else prior to the turbo.

Exact reason why I do not recommend a K&N or any other wetted gauze filter... You are virtually sanding your engine to death.

Doc
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:14 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wouldnt be good to use the dominator 10-30 which is claimmed to be great for nitrous, alchohol cars maybe it will suite E85 users.

oil doc please chime in
Old Sep 26, 2008, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

The Dominator is an excellent choice for any High Performance Application. Gas, Alky, Nitrous, Blends...

It is of course, not a "Street Legal" oil and as such, does not carry any API classifications.

But then.... What Mods are Street Legal.... Most carry a label "Intended for Off-Road Use Only"

Doc
Old Sep 26, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
Exact reason why I do not recommend a K&N or any other wetted gauze filter... You are virtually sanding your engine to death.

Doc

Doc, The K&N filter stopped a lot more than the paper did. My first event at the same place with the mitsu paper filter... not only was there dirt in the maf, but my entire intake system was coated with dirt.... UICP looked like someone threw handfuls of mud in it. And im not the only one out there that experienced this.... Personally i think it has to do with the way the paper filters seal into the air box. The K&N did not show any signs of air being pulled in from the side of the filter (around the gasket) like the paper filter did...
Old Sep 26, 2008, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Sealing is very important. May need to use a silicone grease to help seal. Something seems amiss though if the stock air filter is not sealing.

I have tested K&N Filters many times over the years though and they do not clean the air anywhere near enough.

Doc
Old Sep 27, 2008, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doc, The K&N filter stopped a lot more than the paper did. My first event at the same place with the mitsu paper filter... not only was there dirt in the maf, but my entire intake system was coated with dirt.... UICP looked like someone threw handfuls of mud in it. And im not the only one out there that experienced this.... Personally i think it has to do with the way the paper filters seal into the air box. The K&N did not show any signs of air being pulled in from the side of the filter (around the gasket) like the paper filter did...
Are you using a catch tank? This sounds a lot like residual oil from the valve cover recirculation hose. I have also had bad experiences with K&N and similar oiled gauze filters in every vehicle I have run them in.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

To each his own... I have never really had a bad experience with the K&N. I have never had the oily residue on the MAF like some people get i wold assume that is due to over oiling the filter. Paper filters are the ones to let me down.

Regarding the sealing, Yes an additional gasket would be needed. I reinspected that filter (i still have both of the paper ones that i had in the car) that leaked and noticed that the rubber bead/gasket on it had cracks all over which may have been opening up when the airbox snugs down.

No catch can on it now, I have it, i just haven t put it on.

As far as the motor oil goes... Just put another 1k on the car this weekend along with one more rallyx. The motul is holding up well so far. Should have further results on analysis in about a week.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as the motor oil goes... Just put another 1k on the car this weekend along with one more rallyx. The motul is holding up well so far. Should have further results on analysis in about a week.
Just wanted to cross reference to bzzbee2's latest post on oil in this thread...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=371163&page=2

10,000 miles on E85 w/regular oil testing.

Last edited by Jim in Tucson; Nov 26, 2008 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Correction
Old Nov 26, 2008, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

I changed at 5k. I meant that i had been doing analysis for apprximately 10k miles.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sent in my first oil analysis a couple weeks ago with great results. I've been on E85 since Aug.1st, put 3K miles and was told I should change at 5K on the next. This is with Amsoil SSO 0W-30 and a Mitsubishi filter.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mdsevo06
Sent in my first oil analysis a couple weeks ago with great results. I've been on E85 since Aug.1st, put 3K miles and was told I should change at 5K on the next. This is with Amsoil SSO 0W-30 and a Mitsubishi filter.
would you mind posting your analysis results when you get them?

Quick Reply: Motor Oil with e85