Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Motor Oil with e85

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2008, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Oil with e85

Just curious what kind of oil everyone is running on e85. I am about to get tuned on the stuff and am currently running 0w30 amsoil sig series but am thinking about trying eneos 0w50 any thought?
Old May 10, 2008, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm on 5w30 Amsoil

50 Weight may be too thick.. Unless you live in a very hot climate i suppose..
Old May 11, 2008, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Heard a rumor that E85 and SYnthetic Oil do not mix. Not sure if this is related to the Mobil type synthetics. Any thoughts?
Old May 28, 2008, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fixem2
Heard a rumor that E85 and SYnthetic Oil do not mix. Not sure if this is related to the Mobil type synthetics. Any thoughts?
why wouldn't it? you mean this isn't like a two-stroke engine? j/k, but although i'd be surprised if it were a problem, i'm interested to hear what people say.
Old May 28, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Talking with Oil Doc here on the forums, here is his reply:

"The problem with E85 is with any oil, Petroleum or Synthetic for a couple of reasons but the main one would be the formation of water vapor when burned... I would definitely recommend oil analysis if you are going to make such a severe change in fuels.."
Old May 29, 2008, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fixem2
Talking with Oil Doc here on the forums, here is his reply:

"The problem with E85 is with any oil, Petroleum or Synthetic for a couple of reasons but the main one would be the formation of water vapor when burned... I would definitely recommend oil analysis if you are going to make such a severe change in fuels.."

It may not be as noticeable in a street car, but alky racers will usually dump their oil after a few runs...

The reason I do recommend analysis is simple, Better Safe Than Sorry until you know..... $21.00 for an analysis is cheap *** insurance over the cost of an engine..

Doc
Old Jun 2, 2008, 10:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Oil Doc
It may not be as noticeable in a street car, but alky racers will usually dump their oil after a few runs...

The reason I do recommend analysis is simple, Better Safe Than Sorry until you know..... $21.00 for an analysis is cheap *** insurance over the cost of an engine..

Doc
Seems like a good plan. Any suggestions on where to go for oil analysis?
Old Jun 3, 2008, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Seems like a good plan. Any suggestions on where to go for oil analysis?
Some people like Blackstone... I Prefer Oil Analyzers Inc..

Doc
Old Jun 6, 2008, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

When i did my oil change yesterday, i noticed my oil smelled like Wesson Cooking Oil :P
Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Is there a preferred engine oil change interval for cars on corn? I'm assuming from the above that it should be done more frequently, but how much more?

Dave
Old Jun 18, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
Is there a preferred engine oil change interval for cars on corn? I'm assuming from the above that it should be done more frequently, but how much more?

Dave
Some things to watch for with the EVO oil change interval. Recommended change intervals for the EVO are 3000 miles under Severe conditions and 5000 miles under "Normal" conditions... Almost ALL Driving conditions fall into the Severe category.

One of the problems with the EVO, even in stock trim, is fuel dillution. 2% is considered Max in most cases.

The unknown for alky is the change interval. First, look at your oil. Is it getting a Milky color? Time to change... If the oil stays looking fairly good, 3000 miles. If using AMSOIL and it is still fairly good looking take it to 5000 but no further unless you have a UOA Performed.

Doc
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:36 AM

Like the Doc said the emissions from burning the ethanol are the main issue.

Change oil in alternate fuel(E85) cars up to 30% earlier than normal. So if your a 3k regular figure about 2100 miles or so.

The best advice from the Doc to visually check for milky color is your best bet. Do not sit and wait around to change the oil if it has reached that point. It is already causing engine damage.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE:

Just got off the phone with the head of Oil Analyzers Inc.

The Analysis came back for my motorcycle oil with everything in Spec but the Silicon (dirt) and the Viscosity was 26.38 which is about a 70 wgt from the 50 wgt it started at.

Silicon being high is from the K&N Filter.. New Nano-Fiber Filter will be here Friday, Flows as good as a wetted gauze and filters up to 50 times better.

What we are currently looking at is it may be combustion by-products from the alcohol in the fuel AND Fuel additives of which I use 2. The sample, although checked for fuel dillution, was not tested for possible fuel additive contamination.

Will be sending in another sample soon. Although the oil and filter were changed as the high Viscosity was evident even without the analysis, we are looking for a possible trend. Also, the first sample was not tested for fuel additives and no oil was saved.

This is a tip learned through this.... I will keep a water bottle filled with reserve oil when doing an analysis from now on as it would be useful now. That bottle with a copy of the Analysis ticket will be kept on the shelf in case it would be needed for a secondary sample.

Although Alcohol can cause the thickening of the oil by itself, and the EVO's are prone to fuel dillution, Right now, for my case, we are thinking the additives may be the primary cause along with the Silicon.

What is Alcohol ? An Additive !!

Doc

Last edited by Oil Doc; Jul 2, 2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 03:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
I'll be doing a gasoline / E85 comparison in a few months. Just before converting to E85, I changed the oil (about 4000 miles) and got an oil sample before doing the full drain. Now have to wait for about 3000 miles of E85 and will get another sample.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Oil Doc
What is Alcohol ? An Additive !!

I would think that when running on E85 - 85% alcohol - alcohol is no longer an additive, but a main ingredient.

Quick Reply: Motor Oil with e85