Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Time with E85

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Time with E85

Finally got some time with E85 as the first bay area pump finally opened up in Concord, CA.

So far I am very impressed with it.

I didn't go crazy on the boost yet, nor did I do a ton of experimenting with different AFR levels. I just wanted to use the time I had on the dyno to get a "feel" for the fuel. I also ran into some ignition and wastegate actuator issues that I want to take care of first before I push this fuel harder.

It was pretty warm and muggy in the dyno room, intake temps where 99-101F so not the best conditions. I think the cooling properties of E85 really shined in these conditions.

Here is where I left the tune so far. Peaking just under 27psi according to my logs, about 22psi up top, which is less than what I ran on my crazy "biggie boost" 91 octane tune.

Here is that tune compared to what my Evo did on a more "normal" 25.5psi 91 octane tune a little while back:

And current mods on my personal Evo for anyone that might have forgot:

2005 Evo MR

FPgreen turbo (unported)
RC 1000cc injectors
Walbro Fuel pump
HKS 272/272 cams
HKS adjustable cam gears
Espelir 2.75" downpipe
RRE rally cat (test pipe)
Shivnu signature series 3" catback (magnaflow)
ETS 3.5" FMIC
Nisei LICP
GST Solid Gold open air filter in custom OEM airbox
ARP headstuds
GM 3port boost solenoid using ECU-boost with JDM 3 bar MAP sensor

Stock Evo 9 wastegate actuator
Stock 02 housing (unported)
Stock exhaust manifold (unported)
Stock throttle body (unported)
Stock upper intercooler pipes with stock couplers (upgraded with t-bolts)
Stock induction tube
Stock springs and retainers
Stock Head and block
Stock ECU
Old Aug 19, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn what a difference. Might be able to get the torque up more because of the ethanol cooling, I would venture to guess.

I need E85 to start selling around me! More power + better for environment.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 09:31 AM
Former Sponsor

E-85 is awesome stuff!! We have had great luck with it on both ecu flashes and AEM. with all kinds of different setups.. The stuff works awesome!
Old Aug 19, 2008, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm interested to see what your testing will show as far as AFR's vs. HP..I am running an afr right now that allows me to run alot of timing but I am wondering given the nature of this fuel if more power was to be had running a bit richer and alittle less timing.. Thanks for sharing once again.
Also, what kind of 02 housing are you running in your car?? I want a real boost curve too!!

Last edited by PeteyTurbo; Aug 19, 2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 09:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Petey Turbo
I'm interested to see what your testing will show as far as AFR's vs. HP..I am running an afr right now that allows me to run alot of timing but I am wondering given the nature of this fuel if more power was to be had running a bit richer and alittle less timing.. Thanks for sharing once again.
Also, what kind of 02 housing are you running in your car?? I want a real boost curve too!!
Will do, for the chart above AFR was around 11.5

I am currently running 11.8-11.9 on the street but the car doesn't really feel much quicker. I'll put it back on the dyno soon to see.

Still running stock 02 housing unported.

I'm hitting 95-97% IDC at 11.8 as well. I think I might need 1200cc's :-/
Old Aug 19, 2008, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

hmm, I'm running quite a bit leaner. I used to get some knock running in the 11's but since I went leaner it's like the car never wants to knock anymore and seems to make some more power at the track..On the road I am running about the same AFR's as you though, I just switch to a leaner map for the track and throw timing at it..It seems to take whatever I can throw at it timing wise banging through the gears but it seems like after 20 degrees the difference it makes is minimal if any. Running my race map I have been able to hit 96mph in the 1/8th which is not too shabby for an overweight mr with a stock 8 turbo.
Originally Posted by razorlab
Will do, for the chart above AFR was around 11.5

I am currently running 11.8-11.9 on the street but the car doesn't really feel much quicker. I'll put it back on the dyno soon to see.

Still running stock 02 housing unported.

I'm hitting 95-97% IDC at 11.8 as well. I think I might need 1200cc's :-/
Old Aug 19, 2008, 09:32 PM

Good job Razorlab. As always, thanks for contributing to the forum.

I wish E85 was around here.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 09:32 PM
EvoM Guru

How much leaner?

I noticed it got less twitchy moving to 11.8-11.9 as well.

What peak timing are you running? If I recall I am around 23-24* at 7800

For some reference on the power, I trapped 115mph when I was making 330whp, but I am far from a drag racer.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 09:58 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Good stuff!

Razorlab, can you believe there are like 100 e85 stations within 20 miles of me and I have yet to convert? I just love my aquamist system and BP stations... :P
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

quite a bit actually..My best results are running from 12.4-12.6
I am nipping 22 degrees at around the same RPM..I have ran up to 24 degrees but never noticed a difference at the track so I backed off..
1/4 mile trap speeds in the MR kind of become worthless at this power level given the gearing and stock turbo I am running..but my best so far is 117.9 shifting to 5th and 96.1@ 1/8thwhich is more of an indicator I think. I still have yet to crank on the boost, since I get such a fluctuation I spike then drop HARD..Results were around a 25-26 spike, I will be tuning tommorow and going for a 30psi spike then to the track on thursday..
This was from last week.
http://www.vimeo.com/1545991

I'm just curious to see how afr will effect power with the same timing on this fuel and I know your testing procedures are second to none on this forum imho..
How much leaner?

I noticed it got less twitchy moving to 11.8-11.9 as well.

What peak timing are you running? If I recall I am around 23-24* at 7800

For some reference on the power, I trapped 115mph when I was making 330whp, but I am far from a drag racer.

Last edited by PeteyTurbo; Aug 19, 2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by scheides
Good stuff!

Razorlab, can you believe there are like 100 e85 stations within 20 miles of me and I have yet to convert? I just love my aquamist system and BP stations... :P
100 within 20 miles? Lucky you, currently only 1 here and it's 30 miles away. A local one is opening sept 7th however, about 10 miles away.

You should use this stuff, I am very impressed so far!

Originally Posted by Petey Turbo
quite a bit actually..My best results are running from 12.4-12.6
I am nipping 22 degrees at around the same RPM..I have ran up to 24 degrees but never noticed a difference at the track so I backed off..
1/4 mile trap speeds in the MR kind of become worthless at this power level given the gearing and stock turbo I am running..but my best so far is 117.9 shifting to 5th and 96.1@ 1/8thwhich is more of an indicator I think. I still have yet to crank on the boost, since I get such a fluctuation I spike then drop HARD..Results were around a 25-26 spike, I will be tuning tommorow and going for a 30psi spike then to the track on thursday..
So totally clean of knock at 12.4? Good to hear. I have this weird mental barrier of going leaner than 12.0 I need to get rid of.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

I had the same barrier lol..I have run leaner then 12.4 knock free as well lol..I try to test different things with what I have and try to get th most out of my mods since I don't have the $$ right now to spend on the stuff I like
I have been able to run knock free all the way up until 12.7 where I would hit the occasional 2 counts, running from 12.3-12.6 seems to work great at the track and allowed any timing I could throw at it above 5000rpms.
100 within 20 miles? Lucky you, currently only 1 here and it's 30 miles away. A local one is opening sept 7th however, about 10 miles away.

You should use this stuff, I am very impressed so far!

So totally clean of knock at 12.4? Good to hear. I have this weird mental barrier of going leaner than 12.0 I need to get rid of.

Last edited by PeteyTurbo; Aug 19, 2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scheides
Good stuff!

We have been giving him a hard time for the better part of a year, he'll come around!

Th cooling effects of E85 is what has delayed me in upgrading the stock FMIC for now. Also its quite noticeable when an e85 evo is on the dyno as it cools down so quickly between pulls.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
We have been finding that 12.0 seems to work best, but out to 12.5 or so doesnt seem to make anymore power. I have heard (not confirmed) that even all the way to 13.0 makes the same power. Thats more than I want to push it though. For what its worth, when Lucas made the 506 I think that was 11.0 flat as I recall.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Petey, I see you took some of my tips to heart, or at least I think you started messing with those AFRs and timing after our conversation. Nonetheless, your numbers are where I'm getting the best results. I thought my timing was high, but Razorlab's is higher even with much higher sustained boost on the top-end. My boost is way low, which allows me more timing with ease. I couldn't run that much timing with way higher boost sustainment at sea level.

Quick Reply: Time with E85