Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

The New Fuel of the Future :: Wood.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2009, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The New Fuel of the Future :: Wood.

I was watching a new show on discovery tonight on the new fuel of the future and its wood. So after watching the show and learning about this new process I decided to do some searching online I came across a few good press releases. There pretty recent not sure if people have seen or heard about this I just thought it was cool. It really makes me want E85 more available in my area.

Heres a couple links to the sites where the info is listed. Not to mention that there is already one plant up and running in Denver, one is being built near me in Boston.

Rocky Mountain News :: Denver Plant and Government Plans

One World :: Boston Plant :: Government Plans
Old Jan 2, 2009, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Technical term is Cellulosic e85

http://e85.whipnet.net/ethanol.faq/c...c.ethanol.html
Old Jan 2, 2009, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or go for this: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,473078,00.html

Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Cellulosic E85 is actually a fairly broad term that would include many different source types of non-edible plant life. We normally think of ethanol being made from the starch in the corn kernel. However, making ethanol from the wasted corn stalks would be considered cellulose.

Using any type of waste (my favorite is land fills) to make ethanol is a terrific idea. However, growing trees to make ethanol would be even less wise then corn. The growing cycle is simply too long for even a fast growing tree to be considered a renewable energy source.

This is exactly why I am so fascinated with the various algae-to-ethanol processes that are being pursued. Algae's growing cycle is just a few days. Here is one of the most interesting that I have come across recently.

Turning Algae directly into Ethanol w/o first turning it into oil.

And here is a more typical algae-into-oil process.

Ethanol production is extremely exciting for many reasons. In my opinion, it is primarily because it can be adapted to so many different sources: corn, wood waste, grass, algae, sugar cane, land fills,...

There is not a single part of our country that is not able to contribute in some meaningful way to our country's energy independence. We need to look at the full spectrum of renewable energy sources, and not become fixated on any single idea. That would simply put us right back into the same predicament we are in now.

Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

I didnt want to get into any more seeing that the responses so far seemed to be telling me that everyone knows about this and doesnt care.

It does take tree's a long time to grow but the best cellulose produced comes from the poplar tree being that it can be broken down very easily where as everything else takes much more effort. So to keep the balance they are engineering or breeding poplar's to grow faster and have the traits that they so desire.

So it will be pretty cool seeing that they already can grow in any conditions and fast with out much tending to.

I agree about finding other sources of renewable energy to help clean up our air. It hards to deny the facts that the weather is changing and global warming is an issue that needs to be dealt with. Whats wrong with fuel that it cleaner, makes more power, and is cheaper to buy even if it uses 1/3 more.

I cant wait to see a hydrogen equipped evo. I seen ford retro fit a system on there 2.3 focus wagon and it hauled a$s. With water being the only emissions. This was to show that today engines can be changed over to hydrogen if it was cost effective which is why it hasnt happened yet. Seeing that our cars are already forged internals it wouldnt be hard. Just food for thought i guess probably just pipe dreams.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Damn - I was hoping this was about pellet stove fuel...