Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

How-To: Warm/Hot Starts (and cold ones) with E85

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for some numbers.. I have changed the last two rows (two highest temps) from the stock 3 to 0, 5,10,15,25,50,75 with no noticeable difference in ease of start up.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Routybouty
Just for some numbers.. I have changed the last two rows (two highest temps) from the stock 3 to 0, 5,10,15,25,50,75 with no noticeable difference in ease of start up.
cold/warm conditions?

i assume warm due to you saying the higher temp settings, but why these?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Alright I have appeared to have 90% fixed my problem. I had horrible warm/hot starts, cold was perfect. I changed all my latencies lower than 11V to the same as 11V. Mine happens to be 1.944 I think, can't remember off the top of my head. Also I think playing around a little with the cold enrichment table will help, but I have damn near perfect hot/cold starts and 90% perfect warm starts. I have tried starts at 55C, 68C, 78C, 85C all starting well. That's with about a 1/2 hour between each.

No ISCV stuff is touched.

Last edited by Routybouty; Oct 10, 2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let's say fuel trims are absolutely perfect (+-1%). I have a problem with cold starts (takes a few cranks to fire). I've heard "you need to add more IPW and also the opposite of "you have too much IPW". Which is it? Can someone post their IPW tables/figures for E85, that have no issues with cold start?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For cold start issue, you most likely need more fuel. There's a really easy way to test if you are injecting too much fuel. Just crank the car with the throttle half way open. If it starts right up or helps with the throttle open, there is too much fuel.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

So I did a log this morning for cold start issue (actually no start issue). Outside temp was about 45*F. During cranking, if I had my foot on the gas or not, the IPW was between 5 and 10. I'm assuming I need to add a lot more IPW on start up for my E85 map. Does this sound correct?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

I dont understand why my IPW was so low on start up. It was 45* out this morning and it should be around 28ms.

I checked my coolant temp scaling table with a stock rom and it is just as stock. Doesn't really make sense to me.
Attached Images  

Last edited by lan_evo_mr9; Nov 2, 2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 09:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by lan_evo_mr9
I dont understand why my IPW was so low on start up. It was 45* out this morning and it should be around 28ms.

I checked my coolant temp scaling table with a stock rom and it is just as stock. Doesn't really make sense to me.
Read this post:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...l-options.html
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Awesome! Thanks for the help. Is there anyway I could paste the startup def's into recompile v7? I've tried, and have gotten the tables to show up in the "stock replacement maps" and normal fuel category, but unable to have them show up as an actual "alternate xxxx" in Tephra mods.

Edit: Those were the correct definitions, but wrong address's for alt maps. I have no idea how to find the correct address for alt map for those definitions. Any disassembler care to chime in?

Last edited by lan_evo_mr9; Nov 2, 2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 08:34 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the help. Is there anyway I could paste the startup def's into recompile v7? I've tried, and have gotten the tables to show up in the "stock replacement maps" and normal fuel category, but unable to have them show up as an actual "alternate xxxx" in Tephra mods.

Edit: Those were the correct definitions, but wrong address's for alt maps. I have no idea how to find the correct address for alt map for those definitions. Any disassembler care to chime in?
There aren't any addresses for alt-maps in that post. The only startup injector item ALREADY IN V7 is the alternate "first pulse" map. Nothing needs to be added for this to work/be seen.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
There aren't any addresses for alt-maps in that post. The only startup injector item ALREADY IN V7 is the alternate "first pulse" map. Nothing needs to be added for this to work/be seen.
I'm well aware of that. I was wondering if there could be alt map addresses so you could have the best of both worlds. I know it's just a different name for the same table/address I was more concerned with having an alt map table for "cranking fuel pulse width". I was informed that there is no alt map address for that table as of yet...oh well.

If there's anybody out there (and I know there are) with the "I have no issue on cold starts"....If one of those people could post a pic of their "IPW Adder" table, it would be of great help.

I basically started with the stock IPW table, then doubled it at 7*C (my problem area), to no effect. I did make sure to follow the stock ECU curve in the table by the by. I just can't seem to get this last little bug out of my car
Old Nov 3, 2009, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

I basically started with the stock IPW table, then doubled it at 7*C (my problem area), to no effect.
I don't have my tuning laptop handy, but keep adding fuel. Don't be afraid to quadruple or even more. I have 1250s and at the colder temps I am using very large numbers.

Edit: Just checked my laptop...my value at 7C is 56. And that's for 1250cc injectors that flow 1264cc. So, if you are on smaller injectors than that, you will want an even bigger number.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Nov 3, 2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you for a defined answer. I doubled them last night, and it didn't do much of anything. I'm running 1000's. I'll just keep on adding until something happens.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Just as a side note, don't increase the numbers below the 7C mark either. The 'warm' starts need very little fuel...it's just the 'cold' starts, starting around the 7C cell that need much more fuel.

Also, the rest of your IPW tables should be adjusted to match your injector size, if you haven't done that already.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Everything is fine from 7*C and warmer- haven't touched those settings- figured no need to. The things fires up on the first try anything warmer than about 55*-60*F.

Quick Reply: How-To: Warm/Hot Starts (and cold ones) with E85