Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

How-To: Warm/Hot Starts (and cold ones) with E85

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run FIC1050's and I did one mod fixed all my starting issues. Car starts everytime, any temp with foot off pedal.

Go to the ISCV Demand Startup CTS Adder (sub_1ebb8) set ALL values to 100%. fixed

(rest of fuel and other ISCV settings are at stock 8859015 settings)

Hope it works for you

edit: either fuel 85 mostly, then map switch to 93 as needed

Last edited by tnt1106; Nov 4, 2009 at 10:25 AM. Reason: fuels
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tnt1106
I run FIC1050's and I did one mod fixed all my starting issues. Car starts everytime, any temp with foot off pedal.

Go to the ISCV Demand Startup CTS Adder (sub_1ebb8) set ALL values to 100%. fixed

(rest of fuel and other ISCV settings are at stock 8859015 settings)

Hope it works for you

edit: either fuel 85 mostly, then map switch to 93 as needed
That won't cure the issue that is being mentioned. That will simply add max ISCV demand for startup regardless of coolant temp. That may help hot or warm starts, but it will hurt cold starts. Seeing that you are in Texas, you probably haven't had the need to tune for cold starts on E85.

For cold starts on E85, you need a lot more fuel at 7C and below.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
That won't cure the issue that is being mentioned. That will simply add max ISCV demand for startup regardless of coolant temp. That may help hot or warm starts, but it will hurt cold starts. Seeing that you are in Texas, you probably haven't had the need to tune for cold starts on E85.

For cold starts on E85, you need a lot more fuel at 7C and below.
possibly only gets to high 20's (f*) at coldest. Altho last winter on e85 same settings car started fine on cold starts, warm, and hot.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by l2r99gst
I don't have my tuning laptop handy, but keep adding fuel. Don't be afraid to quadruple or even more. I have 1250s and at the colder temps I am using very large numbers.

Edit: Just checked my laptop...my value at 7C is 56. And that's for 1250cc injectors that flow 1264cc. So, if you are on smaller injectors than that, you will want an even bigger number.
How right you are about quadrupling the ms. My value at 7C is now 90ms! Started out at 70ms (I had it at 50ms before), it "kinda" sounded like it wanted to catch, just a very little bit though. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, raised 7C to 90ms, and BANG! Fired right up on the first turn of the engine. I'm going to double check tomorrow night to make sure it wasn't a fluke. My foot was completely off the gas when doing all this.
The whole time I was thinking "This is either way too much fuel, or not enough". After the minor catch with 70ms, I knew I had to go higher.
I'll report back tomorrow night. Thank you all for your help and insight.
I do believe my car is running perfect now..........for now, until the next major discovery comes out that I'll have to play with.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Here's my ridiculous primer table.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 4, 2009, 03:49 PM
Account Disabled

wow you weren't kidding, 524...
Old Nov 4, 2009, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I don't even know if that 524 does anything, I just figured, fudge it, crankem' all.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

^^ It's weird we have such different issues. For my warm/hot starts I zero'd out 34* and higher, then I lowered 20* to about half of stock. Works good, only thing that isn't perfect (not bad just not perfect) is when the car is almost cold again, like right below the line for "C" on the temp (forget the actual value off hand). Anything thing before/after that is perfect.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Routybouty
^^ It's weird we have such different issues. For my warm/hot starts I zero'd out 34* and higher, then I lowered 20* to about half of stock. Works good, only thing that isn't perfect (not bad just not perfect) is when the car is almost cold again, like right below the line for "C" on the temp (forget the actual value off hand). Anything thing before/after that is perfect.
Funny you should say that, another member on this forum was kind enough to PM their IPW adder figures. This member was also on E with larger injectors (1250's I think), and his IPW table was basically the exact opposite of mine- especially for the colder temps.

After seeing his table, and then others saying "you need more fuel", it was so contradictory. Weird. My case was definitely "need a lot more fuel".

I just did a another test start a few minutes ago....fired right up. I was getting ready to switch back to pump for the winter just for that reason. No longer.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I thought I fixed my cold start issue....I didn't. I went out and tried to start it for the first time of the day, just turned over with no signs of life.

I went inside, adjusted IPW, flashed, and it fired right up on the first try.....Just like last night. I'm noticing a trend here.

Here is a pic of the cranking log and current alt ipw settings. Tell me what you make of this mess.

Edit: That evoscan log pic is when the car started, I didn't log the no start unfortunately....well because I thought the bish would start.
Attached Thumbnails How-To:  Warm/Hot Starts (and cold ones) with E85-starting-ms.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old Nov 5, 2009, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How many times did you try to start it...just once? If it's a 'need more fuel' issue, then it may start on the second or third try with a few second wait in between. if you only tried once or twice, then flashed and tried again, and it started, then it probably would have started by just waiting that amount of time and trying again.

If you're getting too much fuel, then starting with the gas pedal pushed a little should fire it right up.

It'll definitely be a little tricky to get it dialed in perfectly, but it sounds like you are at least on the right track.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Tried to start it about two or three times. Waited about 5-10 minutes while adjusting ipw tables and then it started.

It's weird....there's like an "invisible coolant temp cutoff line" when it won't start-about 45-50*F coolant temp and below. Anything above that, it's fine. I'm just going to keep playing around with everything, it is getting better, that's for sure.

I appreciate everybody's help....I'll just keep playing around and let you know if I have a "eureka" moment.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lan_evo_mr9
Funny you should say that, another member on this forum was kind enough to PM their IPW adder figures. This member was also on E with larger injectors (1250's I think), and his IPW table was basically the exact opposite of mine- especially for the colder temps.

After seeing his table, and then others saying "you need more fuel", it was so contradictory. Weird. My case was definitely "need a lot more fuel".
It is really interesting that your table and mine are so different. And yes, I'm running FIC 1250cc injectors. It dropped to 30 degrees overnight, and the car started up right away this morning. The only issue I've had with start-up has been the warm starts, but now, with the cooler weather, that situation doesn't occur anymore.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Here is mine just for reference.

Name:  Screenshot2009-11-06at44618PM.png
Views: 0
Size:  52.5 KB

lan_evo_mr9 have you messed with your injector lantencies? I played with mine a little in the 11V and below range (just a pinch in the 11). I mostly decreased the value.

Last edited by Routybouty; Nov 6, 2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Routybouty
Here is mine just for reference.

lan_evo_mr9 have you messed with your injector lantencies? I played with mine a little in the 11V and below range (just a pinch in the 11). I mostly decreased the value.

Yeah, as a matter of fact, I just did that last week. Lowered some latencies and lowered the scaling just a notch. Fuel trims are perfect- idle .07ish and mid is 1. I adjusted again today, and I am getting closer. I'll get it soon enough, it takes no more than 2 cranks now. That's acceptable, just not perfect.

Quick Reply: How-To: Warm/Hot Starts (and cold ones) with E85