Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

My motor on E85...

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2009 | 01:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselmd
The fact that the motor has held up under all that abuse must be attributed to the great tune it had. If I were you I'd keep that tuner you have.
Hahah, that might be part of it, however I've done stuff tune wise to it that I wouldn't even think about doing on a customers car.
Old May 21, 2009 | 01:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
No I never got around to putting the cooler on, however this one was only used at the track twice in it's life, where the first was 20+.
What gear oil did you run in TRE 6-speed?
Old May 21, 2009 | 01:28 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mrfred
What gear oil did you run in TRE 6-speed?
MT90 + a little Shockproof Heavy

Then the last change I used just straight MT90

I'll be taking it apart at some point to see what was failing.
Old May 21, 2009 | 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Given the abuse I suspect you inflicted on it, I'm quite surprised it held up for 32k, even without track days.

I'm very curious to hear if it's fourth gear, or something else. I'm still holding my breath with mine; I'm at just over 60k on my original 6-speed, with a few track days (and quite a few more drag launches) on it, but I'm down on power quite a bit compared to your setup.
Old May 21, 2009 | 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bryan, did you guys replace the headstuds? And when you put the head on do you do a cycle on the studs to like 35 lbs, loosen, and then torque to 90+... kinda like the service manual outlines (with the new gasket in place)? Or do you just torque to the high limit right off the bat and call it a day.

I did the 35, loosen, then torque at 90. I wish I hadn't, I kinda think I have a small leak.
Old May 22, 2009 | 12:26 AM
Account Disabled

Friends 4eva

Old May 22, 2009 | 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by compscibOi
I want E-85, when will it be more readily available?
You read so many conflicting stories you don't know what to believe anymore. Here's what I understand thus far and please correct me if I'm wrong:
Producing E85 creates a larger carbon footprint than gasoline production but:
A car without a cat using E85 emmits less pollutants than the exact same car running gasoline with a cat. Interesting. So what does that mean? With the large volume of vehicles on U.S. roads using E85 in the future, we'll reduce our destruction on the ozone layer.
As off now there aren't any incentives by our government to people selling E85.
I'm led to believe that's going to change over the next 3 years as the endevours to have E85 at every gas station will hope to be realized. That's an article I read a couple of weeks ago on the net. I and many others hope this will come to fruition.
Old May 25, 2009 | 04:33 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mrfred
Am I the only one looking this thread so far that finds this a bit scary?? How is it possible to have audible det with nothing registering on the knock sensor? Bad knock sensor? Does E85 knock at a different frequency range than gasoline?
I don't want to go against what GST Motorsports has to say since he is so experienced with the stuff. However I have had no such issues on E85. I know I've played with my car so much in the past that I've caused unexplained problems that I solved a year later. Perhaps an accidental rom edit or a bad flash? The evo knock sensor setup works extremely good in my experience. It just flat out never registers on E85 for me, which is why I like to pull boost if it leans out. I just can push the det threshold on E85 on a stock turbo. I always get MBT first.
Old May 25, 2009 | 11:28 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by dan l
I don't want to go against what GST Motorsports has to say since he is so experienced with the stuff. However I have had no such issues on E85. I know I've played with my car so much in the past that I've caused unexplained problems that I solved a year later. Perhaps an accidental rom edit or a bad flash? The evo knock sensor setup works extremely good in my experience. It just flat out never registers on E85 for me, which is why I like to pull boost if it leans out. I just can push the det threshold on E85 on a stock turbo. I always get MBT first.
Yup I see the same thing which is why I am still mashing my brain trying to figure out why it was audibly knocking and the ECU was not picking up knock.

Hadn't flashed the car in months.