Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

E-85 a/f

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I am not trying to get in the middle of anything here, but if there is one thing Bryan doesn't have any shortage of it's data. He datalogs everything whether it's on the dyno or on the street.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:22 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
I am not trying to get in the middle of anything here, but if there is one thing Bryan doesn't have any shortage of it's data. He datalogs everything whether it's on the dyno or on the street.
One of us has actually provided the data to the forum to back up our keystrokes.

Thanks for your input.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
We are also aware that 94AWDCoupe runs 10's AFR which is why his EGT is so cold.
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I have seen EGT around 680C at WOT at 12/1 A/F
I have seen EGT around 720C at WOT at 12.9 A/F
It's been seen by almost all that switch to E85 and have a EGT. It's not really open for debate and not really worth my time to debate it as I know it from using E85 on a bunch of cars in motorsports use on track, strip and street.

I'm not in this to measure dicks.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:29 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mrfred

94AWDCoupe's post indicatesthe EGTs were obtained with AFRs of either 12.0:1 or 12.9:1.
Jerry is a friend of mine and we have spoken at length in person about his car.

-50*C from probe position + 850*C = 900*C @ close to the head @ 12.5 AFR.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Sep 1, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
It's been seen by almost all that switch to E85 and have a EGT. It's not really open for debate and not really worth my time to debate it as I know it from using E85 on a bunch of cars in motorsports use on track, strip and street.

I'm not in this to measure dicks.
priceless comment if you were in my office i'd high five you for that
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
priceless comment if you were in my office i'd high five you for that
I know right. This is entertaining to say the least!
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

OK, so I know this has been discussed, but hypothetically, if I accidentally filled it with E70, I'd see my WOT AFR drop from low 12s where it is now to ~10s? I'm assuming there would be no other immediate indication without a knock light? Thanks.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:23 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Tractionlimit
OK, so I know this has been discussed, but hypothetically, if I accidentally filled it with E70, I'd see my WOT AFR drop from low 12s where it is now to ~10s? I'm assuming there would be no other immediate indication without a knock light? Thanks.
Wouldn't drop that drastically but yes you would see it richen up.

From E8X to E5X would do about a two point drop and I have seen it happen.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

You guys need to stop buying all of those SERIOUSLY overpriced EGT probes. The second you tag an EGT probe as "Aftermarket Automotive" use or something of the similar, the price goes WAYYYY up.

www.omega.com is where I get all my EGT probes from, and most gage companies get theirs from as well.

You need an exposed tipped probe to get the fastest reading EGT's as possible. A grounded probe is the second best option, and slightly longer lasting than an exposed tip.

I picked up a K-Type TJ36 probe with 24" Lead built custom to my specification for $44.

Try ordering an EGT probe from anywhere for that price.

EDIT: Sorry for the rant post, I was just tired of buying high priced probes and went on to find who was actually making everybody elses probes...

Last edited by tkklemann; Sep 1, 2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 03:05 PM
Account Disabled

I see nothing from that site remotely representing the Zeitronix EGT.

From looking real quick the minimum probe length appears to be 6" long.

If you want to install one in your 7" exhaust pipe on your tractor trailer it might be a good deal.

Originally Posted by tkklemann
You guys need to stop buying all of those SERIOUSLY overpriced EGT probes. The second you tag an EGT probe as "Aftermarket Automotive" use or something of the similar, the price goes WAYYYY up.

www.omega.com is where I get all my EGT probes from, and most gage companies get theirs from as well.

You need an exposed tipped probe to get the fastest reading EGT's as possible. A grounded probe is the second best option, and slightly longer lasting than an exposed tip.

I picked up a K-Type TJ36 probe with 24" Lead built custom to my specification for $44.

Try ordering an EGT probe from anywhere for that price.

EDIT: Sorry for the rant post, I was just tired of buying high priced probes and went on to find who was actually making everybody elses probes...
Old Sep 1, 2009, 03:38 PM
Account Disabled

Unless you are measuring EGT's on each cylinder simultaneously you are wasting your time. All a single EGT probe is good for is roughly seeing how the tune on the motor is compared to how it was last time you raced it. Even worse is that most people don't know what heat outside the motor has to do with heat in the motor.

Summary: Single EGT probes are so 1996. Individual cylinder EGT probes with the knowledge and datalogging equipment to use it is so modern day racing industry. Especially useful for manifold and cylinder head testing, think about it.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 03:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
I see nothing from that site remotely representing the Zeitronix EGT.

From looking real quick the minimum probe length appears to be 6" long.

If you want to install one in your 7" exhaust pipe on your tractor trailer it might be a good deal.
tkklemann is correct. Several of the probes on the Omega website are well suited for EGT measurement. What you are not seeing is how the probes attach to a fitting on the manifold. The TJ36 is a metal sheathed thermocouple that is easily gripped using Swagelok fittings. I use them all the time at work. The distance that the probe tip is inserted into the exhaust pipe is completely adjustable from 0" past the fitting on the manifold to whatever distance you want. The sheath on the 1/16" diameter probed has very low thermal mass to make for a very fast acting probe in an exhaust gas environment. Under WOT conditions, it would react to a significant change in temperature (say more than 100C) within 0.05 seconds if not faster. Its easily as fast as the probe that you showed. The TJ36-CAXL-116E-12 would work very nicely, and the nice thing about using it with a Swagelok fitting is that the pipe fitting does not have to be unscrewed for probe replacement.

Last edited by mrfred; Sep 1, 2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The probe on left is autometer probe. about as useless as you can get, very slow. The middle probe is what comes with all gauges that I have seen, HKS, Greddy, Apexi and the like all use this type probe. Performance is acceptable but doesnt compare to the probe on the right. Once you use an exposed junction probe you wont want to use anything else. They are fast, very fast.

While I was calling the probes I use TRE fast acting probes I am not exactly sure what I have been using. I purchased three probes ten years ago that where sold to me as TRE probes. Last month I was getting ready to order some new ones and when I contacted TRE they said they sell the Zeitronics probes. I remember paying around 35-40 a piece for these probes so when I asked him about the price increase he said thats the probe they have always sold. What I believe now is the guy I got the probes from bought them from Omega and sold them to me as TRE probes.

The way probes work is they measure voltage difference between junction of two wires made of dissimilar materials. There are three types, grounded, ungrounded, and exposed. Grounded is where the metals are touching the sheath on the inside so they are faster than the ungrounded type. The exposed is just that. It is exposed directly to the heat, no sheath in the way that has to heat first.

I believe the correct part number is TC-K-1/8NPT-E-72

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Sep 1, 2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 06:20 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 0xDEAD
U

Summary: Single EGT probes are so 1996. Individual cylinder EGT probes with the knowledge and datalogging equipment to use it is so modern day racing industry. Especially useful for manifold and cylinder head testing, think about it.
Yup can't wait to see the data from the 4 probes in our shop car.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 07:09 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
The probe on left is autometer probe. about as useless as you can get, very slow. The middle probe is what comes with all gauges that I have seen, HKS, Greddy, Apexi and the like all use this type probe. Performance is acceptable but doesnt compare to the probe on the right. Once you use an exposed junction probe you wont want to use anything else. They are fast, very fast.

While I was calling the probes I use TRE fast acting probes I am not exactly sure what I have been using. I purchased three probes ten years ago that where sold to me as TRE probes. Last month I was getting ready to order some new ones and when I contacted TRE they said they sell the Zeitronics probes. I remember paying around 35-40 a piece for these probes so when I asked him about the price increase he said thats the probe they have always sold. What I believe now is the guy I got the probes from bought them from Omega and sold them to me as TRE probes.

The way probes work is they measure voltage difference between junction of two wires made of dissimilar materials. There are three types, grounded, ungrounded, and exposed. Grounded is where the metals are touching the sheath on the inside so they are faster than the ungrounded type. The exposed is just that. It is exposed directly to the heat, no sheath in the way that has to heat first.

I believe the correct part number is TC-K-1/8NPT-E-72

Unfortunately the exposed probe has a short lifespan of about 6-12 months which is why Zeitronix moved to a fully shielded probe.

I still do not see any probes on that site representing a Zeitronix unit.

Quick Reply: E-85 a/f