Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

E85 Seasonal blend information

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E85 Seasonal blend information

Alright, so I called up one of the local Mobil Stations here in St. Louis that I am going to use when I go to e85 to ask about their seasonal blends. After getting a few more numbers I ended up talking with one of their regional fuel reps. Here is the breakdown for ethanol percentages.

They follow the Natonal Ethanol Vehicle Coalition's standards for minimum ethanol content and in places like st. louis city (and presumably other urban environments) they mix it with a 10% splash blend that brings the content up a bit further. In rural areas they likely will just be running the minimum ratings.

Code:
Season                Minimum           With Blend
Spring (March-May)       74%               76.6%
Summer (Jun-Aug)         79%               81.1%
Fall (Sept-Nov)          74%               76.6%
Winter (Dec-Feb)         70%               73%

Thought that I might share this information. The lady I talked to was very nice and helpful, so thanks to her for that. Hopefully this will help someone else as it has for me.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been tracking the ECA readings for the fuel I'm getting in the Dallas area in this thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/no...-e-thread.html

So far we're seeing (since December) E76-E84 with the average square at E80.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for that information. I would expect less of a fluctuation in your much warmer climate. hmmm, need to move south, lol
Old Mar 2, 2010, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

did you just call a normal mobil station or like headquaters? i'm trying to find out the same thing for the Albany New York area.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 06:29 PM
Account Disabled

Move to California, it's 82%+ all the time.

- Bryan
Old Mar 2, 2010, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

So with a fluctuation of 9% how bad would this be on a tune?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

is the different blends pretty much standard for switching out. I am in Iowa and looking for a e85 tune shortly and I would like the good stuff if possible.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 08:23 PM
Former Sponsor

I remember posting the national list about 2 years ago, I will see if I still have it..
Our local E85 station recently had a boo boo, the truck driver filled the e85 tank with BIOdiesel, and yes there were evo's running around trying to burn biodiesel blowing ash out of the exhaust and filling oilpans with diesel.. Still ran surprisingly and fuel trims looked ok lol
Old Mar 3, 2010, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PeteyTurbo@KHC
I remember posting the national list about 2 years ago, I will see if I still have it..
Our local E85 station recently had a boo boo, the truck driver filled the e85 tank with BIOdiesel, and yes there were evo's running around trying to burn biodiesel blowing ash out of the exhaust and filling oilpans with diesel.. Still ran surprisingly and fuel trims looked ok lol
It is right here in this thread- second post;
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/al...nk-e-85-a.html

3 is winter E70, 2 is spring/fall-approx E78, and 1 is summer E85

The months with two numbers in them are crossover months while the station is receiving in new loads and the blend is beginning to change- first load of the month during blend change will generally move the tank contents to within 2% of the new blend %. Look for stations with higher E85 turnover rates to move quicker in the spring. Some station operators (NOT THE CLERK) keep track of tank contents- I do this primarily for the carb'ed racer troops.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4g63evoeight
did you just call a normal mobil station or like headquaters? i'm trying to find out the same thing for the Albany New York area.
I called a station who gave me the local office who gave me the cell of the lady that told me all this. I assume this pertains to the st. louis region and into rural MO, however I would think that this is fairly standard for anywhere with 4 seasons (i.e. not Cali, FL, TX, etc etc.)
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tvor
I called a station who gave me the local office who gave me the cell of the lady that told me all this. I assume this pertains to the st. louis region and into rural MO, however I would think that this is fairly standard for anywhere with 4 seasons (i.e. not Cali, FL, TX, etc etc.)
Just be aware that though the Federal specs call for the change- a slow turn inventory in a station could delay the % change- plus- the first load in will leave the tank at about 2% behind the direction it is moving,