Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

regular swapping from E85 to pump

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
regular swapping from E85 to pump

any issues with continually swapping fuels?
just get your twin maps setup and hold off the boost while the fuel changes over?
how do you manage mixing pump with e85 just run down on each as much as poss before filling up ?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually wait until the fuel light comes on, then drive 10-15 miles. Then i put in the new fuel and switch maps. No problems at all.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When going from E85 to gas...
I run it until the low-fuel light comes on plus 10miles, fill up with 91 and lower the boost. I would not do any tuning on the first tank.

When going from gas to E85...
I run it until the low-fuel light comes on plus 10 miles, fill up with E85 and leave the boost turned down for the first tank. Once again, I would not do any tuning on the first tank.

Going from E85 to gas is easy, as there are gas stations everywhere. The most challenging part for me is going from gas to E85, as there is only one E85 station in my general area - about 5-6 miles away. Trying to get there right when the fuel is almost empty is sometimes vexing.

Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
When going from E85 to gas...
I run it until the low-fuel light comes on plus 10miles, fill up with 91 and lower the boost. I would not do any tuning on the first tank.

When going from gas to E85...
I run it until the low-fuel light comes on plus 10 miles, fill up with E85 and leave the boost turned down for the first tank. Once again, I would not do any tuning on the first tank.

Going from E85 to gas is easy, as there are gas stations everywhere. The most challenging part for me is going from gas to E85, as there is only one E85 station in my general area - about 5-6 miles away. Trying to get there right when the fuel is almost empty is sometimes vexing.

I'd say having E85 only 5 miles away makes u luckier than most people
Old Jul 26, 2010, 06:59 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by skiracer
I'd say having E85 only 5 miles away makes u luckier than most people
^^^Well Said

Ive been on E85 for 8 months & have not switched to 91.

I hope to never have to!!!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Not to jack the thread, but with duel map switching, does the boost controller have to be ecu controlled? Is there a way around map switching with a MBC? I guess you'll have to adjust where your boost was at for pump and e85 using your boost gauge with a MBC.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whoang40
Not to jack the thread, but with duel map switching, does the boost controller have to be ecu controlled? Is there a way around map switching with a MBC? I guess you'll have to adjust where your boost was at for pump and e85 using your boost gauge with a MBC.
I use the Hallman MBC. One full turn is 3 psi, so 1/3 turn is 1 psi. And, yes, I do have to pop the hood to adjust boost because I'm too cheap to buy the remote cockpit operator cable.

Two full turns will switch you between 28 psi and 22 psi, for example.

Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whoang40
Dual Manual Boost Controller:
http://evo.dejonpowerhouse.com/

Can be controlled via ECU as well...
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would just run a 3 port...and that a way...when you switch maps...you also switch boost....alot easier than trying to eye ball a boost gauge...and when you do switch over...just be easy on the car for a little bit...and you'll be fine
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
I normally allow 2 tanks of either before I commit to either my pump tune or my E85. Obviously going to E85 would only end up a little richer before its all E85, but pump will be leaner. As much as I drive the car it doesnt take long really.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

This is good info guys. I just picked up a car with an E85 tune and a 91 tune with the switch box. I plan to use E85 all the time in town but I intend to drive long distances where E85 will be hard to come by. I have a manule boost controller as well. Should a Wide band be used as well. I plan to get one any way.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Maybe a stupid question.

On My old Turbo TA I was able to pump out the 91 in the tank thru a shrader valve on the fuel rail and out a tube in to a gas can. I did this by jumping the fuel pump and running it till the tank was almost empty.

Is there a way to drain the tank like this on an Evo 9?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can either connect a hose to the fuel return line and actuate the fuel pump via EvoScan and pump it to a tank.

Or there are two bolts on the gas tank that you can undo and drain the tank that way.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

The Evo scan method is prefered I assume? Or is the drain portion on the take easy to get to. I just hate the thought of having to run out of gas to be able to swtich fuels. Also if I decide to take a quick road trip I don't want to be screwed or forced to drive around till empty before leaving....

Thanks guys...
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You don't have to drive around til empty. E85 fluctuates from E70 to E85 throughouot the year anyway. So, if you're in a situation where you have a 1/4 tank or something like that, you'll be fine filling up with the other fuel.

Obviously, if you can, run it down as much as possible, but you will be fine and your fuel trims will take care of any close loop fueling. Just be careful with open loop/WOT AFRs until you run through the tank and fill up again.

Quick Reply: regular swapping from E85 to pump