Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

E15

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E15

This mentions testing on vehicles 2007 and later. Wonder how the Evo IX will do with this. Will tuners be able to take any advantage? Maybe miniumal but wonder if any performance benefits at all.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...101019937/1186

U.S. permits blending more ethanol with gasoline
October 13, 2010 - 9:22 am ET
UPDATED: 10/13/10 1:35 p.m. ET

(Bloomberg) -- The Obama administration today granted a request from ethanol producers to permit higher concentrations of the corn-based fuel additive in gasoline for vehicles made in 2007 and later.

The Environmental Protection Agency said it will allow refiners to blend as much as 15 percent ethanol into fuel, up from the current 10 percent.

Ethanol producers such as Archer Daniels Midland Co. have pressed the EPA to raise the limit. Opponents, including a coalition of oil companies, automakers and advocacy groups, say adding more ethanol may damage car engines, boost food prices and hurt the environment.

“Thorough testing has now shown that E15 does not harm emissions control equipment in newer cars and light trucks,” said EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson. “Wherever sound science and the law support steps to allow more home-grown fuels in America's vehicles, this administration takes those steps.”

Older models still under review

The EPA said a decision on the use of E15 in model year 2001 to 2006 vehicles will be made after the agency receives the results of additional testing from the Department of Energy. Those findings are expected to be completed in November.

Additionally, the agency said no waiver is being granted this year for E15 use in model year 2000 and older cars and light trucks – or in any motorcycles, heavy-duty vehicles, or non-road engines – because currently there is not testing data to support such a waiver.

Since 1979, up to 10 percent ethanol or E10 has been used for all conventional cars and light trucks, and non-road vehicles.

The EPA said it will also take several steps to help consumers easily identify the correct fuel for their vehicles and equipment. The agency is proposing E15 pump labeling requirements, including a requirement that the fuel industry specify the ethanol content of gasoline sold to retailers. It also has proposed a quarterly survey of retail stations to help ensure gas pumps are properly labeled.

The EPA delayed its decision in December, saying it needed more time to conduct tests on the blend. A decision was again postponed in June, prompting Growth Energy, the ethanol-industry trade group seeking the 15 percent blend, to write to President Barack Obama expressing frustration with the process.

Raising the “blend ratio” will increase demand. By law, the U.S. must use 12 billion gallons of renewable fuels such as ethanol next year, up from 10.5 billion in 2009, and use 15 billion gallons by 2015.

Closely held Poet LLC, based in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, is the largest U.S. ethanol producer, followed by Decatur, Illinois-based Archer Daniels.

GM, Ford, Chrysler

General Motors Co., Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler LLC have said the government should be cautious about increasing the ethanol percentage in gasoline. AAA, the nation's biggest motoring organization, said in July 2009 the EPA should reject the Growth Energy request because higher blends may damage exhaust systems, engines and fuel pumps and destroy catalytic converters.

Valero Energy Corp., the largest U.S. refiner, and Marathon Oil Co., the largest refiner in the Midwest, are concerned selling gasoline with more of the corn-based fuel additive may leave them liable for engine damage, according to company spokesmen.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm guessing E15, if the other 85% is 93 octane, would yield roughly 95 Octane. So yes, I think you could see some benefit from it via timing advance, but not a whole lot.

I doubt the extra ethanol is enough to make much of a difference on charge cooling and EGT's though.

But hey, the more they keep adding ethanol to gas, the better it is for us forced induction gearheads, and the more we need a reliable ECA and Ecu patch...
Old Oct 14, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It all depends on what the refiners do. I have blender pumps and can use the E85 line to feed a preprogrammed amount of ethanol into any of the other fuel blends. Up to now I have been able to buy 87 octane no-ethanol gas to blend with it which gave an 89.5 octane E10. Now it is getting hard to buy E0 87 octane gas and they may force me to buy the 87 octane E10 from them (the refiners) which will of course mean that if I wanted to offer an E15 then octane would only be 88.25 for an E15. Right now I still have a 92 octane E20 in that blend position. Why is this that E15 might not be that much higher octane than E10??- it has to do with the crappy lower suboctane oil companies can put out to just meet minimum specifications knowing that when they add 10 point of ethanol they will gain 2.5 octane. In effect it has allowed them to lower gas standards in the pipeline and cut costs. I do not see them creating an even lower suboctane gas for E15 however until it becomes a standard fuel for all vehicles down the road a few years. They of course will offer better grades base grades of CBOB or RBOB for premium or mid-grades but as always- they will price these at a premium.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
most pumps around here are labeled "up to 10%" for 93 octane. I have noticed a huge difference in power with my car between mobil and racetrack fuels. my car comes on alive on the cheaper race track gas. without testing i would say racetrack is blending more ethanol than mobil is. an extra 5 % will definitely be noticeable. this great if you ask me.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The more E the better; the local Cenex 94 has been known to be 15-20% E. It made me 450whp@29psi with the bbk. Pretty good for pump gas.