Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

What fuel injetors/fuel rail is everyone using for E85?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What fuel injetors/fuel rail is everyone using for E85?

I had been a long time skeptic of E85 but I feel it is time to switch over. I keep getting alot of mis-information from the "internet gangstas" posting & need honest educated opinions on the best part choices for years of reliable & fun power. my power goal os only going to be 450whp/450tq (on mustang dyno or dyno dynamics as imo those r the most accurate).

i have heard that a fuel rail change isn't required so should i even change it? i ask bcuz alot of the aftermarket rails are Aluminum which is bad if using E85 however alot of the rails are possibly anodized which would resist corrosion to a degree "i'm told".

No one can answer if a fuel pressure regulator kit is required or not. my guess is it would be "recommended"...

i've gotten different opinions on fuel injectors as well:
Injector Dynamics: works well, expensive, only 2 options for evo (1000cc/2000cc)
FIC: Made in China cheapos, good for E85, lots of different injector sizes, short life
PTE: really well made, lots of sizes, PTE will not warranty them if using E85

Deatschwerks, RC, & a few others I still need to do more research on.

question is based on a power of 450whp/tq whare you all using now who are in that power range & WHY did you make those fuel part choices?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

also if anyone would post on whether they have used the FIC injector driver or if that is even needed or not would be appreciated...
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

I'm running FIC Bluemax 1450's w/stock fuel rail on E-85 w/stock turbo. IDC's are pretty low due to the decrease of fuel required at my elevation but I'm making over 400hp/tq. Aftermarket FPR is not required for that power level. Many big companies have/use the stock FPR for some pretty high HP levels. I went with the 1450s so when I upgrade the turbo to something different I'll have enough enough fuel for the new turbo setup, atleast for a while. Driveability/Idling on the Bluemax injectors is flawless
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

teaker41 how long have u been running this setup? my goal is to run a set of some type of "272" cam with the new HKS GTII turbo. did you go with 1450's bcuz of the elevation ur at or do you think that with 450whp it is required to have that big of injector??
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

I went with the 1450 to leave room to go bigger. They are actually a bit of overkill at my elevation but I was living in NC when I got them. With injectors that size on E-85 you should be able to easily reach your power goal with a single walbro fuel pump.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tweaker41
I went with the 1450 to leave room to go bigger. They are actually a bit of overkill at my elevation but I was living in NC when I got them. With injectors that size on E-85 you should be able to easily reach your power goal with a single walbro fuel pump.
do you think a 1250 would probly be better suited for my future application?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Fascinating info that you've been given on the various brands of injectors. There are only a few different companies that make injectors. ID uses Bosch injectors, PTE uses Delphi injectors, and FIC uses Bosch, Delphi, and another brand for the BlueMax that I've not been able to determine (I suppose I could call Jens and ask).

I've tried FIC1050s (Delphi), ID1000s (Bosch), and FIC1100s (Bosch). The FIC1100s are my favorite and are supporting 470 whp DJ with E85 on a single Walbro and stock FPR. (FWIW, DJs are considered the most consistent dynos. Surgeline's MD reads exactly the same as English Racing's DJ, and GST's MD reads about 12% lower than English Racing's DJ.) The ID1000s had warm start issues and had a lean tip-in response on my Evo. I tried two sets, and the second set was worse than the first for warm start. Several other people reported similar issues, but there are some people who have had good luck with them. The FIC1050s were good but had warm start issues. I tried two sets of those as well, and as with the ID1000s, some people had similar issues, and some had none. Don't know of anyone who has had any issues with the FIC1100s.

There is some evidence from Bryan@GST (razorlab) that the factory fuel rail starts to cause issues beyond about 440 whp on GST's MD. (He's posted lots of great data on E85 performance.) I'm running the Wilson fuel rail, aka IndyEvo fuel rail (available on 9sec9.com). Its a very nice rail that's E85 compatible and has the largest ID available (0.625" vs every one else's 1/2"). Another nice one that recently came out is the Skunk2 composite fuel rail. It has the same basic design (0.625" ID) as the IndyEvo rail but is made from an E85-compatible composite.

Last edited by mrfred; Nov 15, 2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Just some more information on rail size:

FIC Fuel Rail: ID of 11/16"
Aeromotive: ID of 5/8"
Magnus: Diameter of 7/8", didn't say ID or not.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by tweaker41
Just some more information on rail size:

FIC Fuel Rail: ID of 11/16"
Aeromotive: ID of 5/8"
Magnus: Diameter of 7/8", didn't say ID or not.
Do you have any further info on the FIC rail? I've never seen an Evo variant. Is it setup to accept factory fuel lines? I had forgotten about the Aeromotive. The Magnus is not setup to accept factory fuel lines.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im currently running an AMS fuel rail with FIC 1050cc injectors, but Ill soon be going up to FIC 1450cc injectors. I hope the AMS fuel rail is up to the task..
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

I'm running the Perrin rail with FIC Bluemax 1550s.

Perrin Rail is also 9/16" versus everyone elses 1/2" bore.

I ran out of pump at 450whp on GSTs dyno with a single walbro 255 and FIC Bluemax 1250's using the Perrin rail with injector duty cycle being in the 80% range. I wanted more "room to grow" on my injectors so i have since up graded to a double pumper, the FIC Bluemax 1550s and replaced the -4 suply line at the fuel rail to a -8 line. I'm currently in the 60% duty cycle range if I remember correctly. All this is on the stock FPR.

*Edit* I have used the Perrin rail (annodized aluminum)on E85 for over a year now and I see no signs of wear/corrosion from it.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

^ Well thats a good sign.. ;-)
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

^^^
Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that while I'm now currently at 60%-ish duty cycle I'm currently at 511whp 464wtq @ 33psi
Old Nov 18, 2010, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Do you guys think the fuel rail makes a difference to fuel delivery?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

the inlet to the stock rail is only a -4 like the supply line that runs from the hard line to it. Where it matters is in fuel delivery for the pump pressure. Pump volume drops off with increased pressure, so if you continually try to feed your fuel hungry engine with a small inlet hole in the rail then the pressure the pump sees it way higher.

Going larger mainly lets you get away with running less pump longer.

However changing the rail alone only nets you a little more since the supply line is still small. In order to do it right the supply line to the rail needs to be enlarged also.

Quick Reply: What fuel injetors/fuel rail is everyone using for E85?