Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Dispelling some ethanol myths...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dispelling some ethanol myths...

I've got a running thread on another forum, but here are my current tests/findings.

Test one-I've got a full drum of E83 in my garage that I filled/sealed in mid Sept. The date is on the drum. I'm going to test the ethanol content in April to prove it's still the same. Sample will be taken from the bottom of the drum, as that is where any moisture would accumulate. The garage is heated, but the heat is often off several days at a time. Temps from -20 to +70 will be had.

Test two-Similar scenario, but with only 18 gallons in the drum. Was last openend in early November. I'll test it at the same time and in the same manner to see if any moisure has been absorbed.

Test three-I've got a 5 gallon can 1/2way full of E83 stored in the same garage. Same deal/testing

Test four-Water bottle 1/2 full of e83, with the cap off. This should be the worst case scenario for storing E85. Same deal/testing..

Test five-1/2 full clear jug of E98. Same deal/testing

test six-Full jug of E98. Same deal/testing

I sampled the aforementioned can with E83 in it (test three) yesterday, and it was still testing at E83. The fuel was placed in the can in mid September.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Interesting. I can tell you though as long as its sealed you wont be surprised by the results.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Interesting. I can tell you though as long as its sealed you wont be surprised by the results.
Hence the name of the thread

The test is costing me nothing as it's my fuel to start out next season with (we don't get the higher content until mid May). Figured I'd actually document it for the people that believe anything they read on the net.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Nice testing.
I was given a 20L Jerry of E85 by a mate that had sat sealed in the back of a garage for ~18months with a ~20*C temp fluctuation.
Tested at 85% three times.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aye mate, maybe the dingo ate chyo bay bay!

Well I'm in for results! Should make for an informative experiment, thanks for your time OP
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Benja
Nice testing.
I was given a 20L Jerry of E85 by a mate that had sat sealed in the back of a garage for ~18months with a ~20*C temp fluctuation.
Tested at 85% three times.
Thanks for the input!

Originally Posted by prowakeskater
aye mate, maybe the dingo ate chyo bay bay!

Well I'm in for results! Should make for an informative experiment, thanks for your time OP
No problem, most of the time involved is just waiting.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by johnbradley
interesting. I can tell you though as long as its sealed you wont be surprised by the results.
+1
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Any full and sealed container will be fine. It's not uncommon for ethanol to sit in railcars and storage tanks for months before making it's way to the pump.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kracka
Any full and sealed container will be fine. It's not uncommon for ethanol to sit in railcars and storage tanks for months before making it's way to the pump.
This is absolutely true. Servicing and testing service stations, it was not uncommon to have water at the bottom of the tanks at service stations. There are sensors, that are mandated, that monitor fuel and water levels. Most water in fuel comes from two places:

1) When the fuel is dispensed from the plant or holding facility and dispensed into rail car or truck and the difference in temperature causes if to condensate. Rare and minimal water is produced. (ounces)

2) The most common way to get water in fuel is from fill tube at the service station. If the lid that covers the service hole and the fill tube cap is not sealing correctly, rain water will accumulate in the service hole and seep its way into the fill tube. (amount depends on leak)

There have been issues with black algae with underground steel and older single wall fiberglass tanks with corn fuel. Here in California, steel and single wall fiberglass tanks have been disposed of since 2010 and all new tanks have a anti-growth spray applied to them to help prevent the growth of organic matter.