Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Switching to E85

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Switching to E85

i know i know there are a ton a threads on here and i have read quite a few of them. i am just making this one for myself. i just want to know if im at least headed in the right direction to begin the switch.

Warning semi long post.

first off the car.(dont get too upset with me but my normal forums are really no help when it comes to this or i am told to come here since you guys have some of the best tuning threads/advise)

2003 Eclipse GS-T
2.4 bottom end with stock internals(which is 9.5CR BTW)
DOHC swap with stock evo8 springs/valves and cams.
stock evo8 16g 9.8 turbo(plan to go with a fp green when i feel comfortable with my tuning abilities)
Injen I/C piping with the exception of the intake its OEM so i could get it reffed and make my swap street legal.
255L fuel pump
PTE 880's
Tephra V7 mod rom96530706
my initial tune was done by a friend to get me running but i have been adjusting and learning for the past 6 months.
i am only running 8-9PSI since i am on stock bottem end internals but plan to run 12-14 later down the road.

I am in San Diego(Imperial Beach) so the weather throughout the year is pretty decent. i know that temperature change affects ethanol blends more so than gas. but with the temps i experience ranging from 45- 100 through out the year. i do not think that i will need a cold map and hot map but please do correct me if i am wrong.

now from the searching that i have done. using GAS AFR's i will be aiming for:
Idle to = 14.7-15.2
Cruise to = 15.5-16.5
WOT Spool up to full boost to = 11.5-12.0

now comes for the part where im confused. its the timing for ethanol gas. from what i have read it loves timing and that is why you need to dyno tune to get the most out of it without going past MBT and royally effing up an engine. i did read to too much timing on e85 thread and that was just crazy. but will i have to adjust timing right off the bat just to idle or D/D(out of boost)?

i have two plans in place to make the switch and this is the second reason for this thread. i want to go with plan B just because it seems more efficient with the tuning process. since i will be renting out a dyno and tuning the car myself and do not want to waste time since time is money.

Plan A. i am going to just put in 5gal of it on a empty tank and adjust my fuels maps accordingly. to what i posted above. burn through the initial 5 gals and then add 10 more gallons of fresh e85 with all this being done at a dyno shop.

Plan B. this is the plan i want to do if possible to get the most out of the dyno since i rent the dyno and tune myself. i wanted to make the initial switch myself at home. run the car to near empty add 5 gallons of e85 and adjust my afr's to what i have posted above. drive to the dyno shop and stay out of boost to help with burning of the initial e85. get to the dyno shop and top off with e-85 and commence dyno tuning.

sorry for the long *** post but i just want to make sure i have my ducks in a row before i make this change.

Last edited by MrSquirr3l; Apr 19, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 08:30 AM

86 views and no advice? not many people here tune themselves on e85?

so i just tested my gas last night and i have 15 gallons of E80 now just one more 5 gallon container to go and to burn off the gas i currently have.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 06:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
e85 generally only does well with more timing at higher rpms, say at 5000+ rpm. power gains at lower rpms comes mainly from being able to run more boost without detonating. optimum off-boost timing is roughly equal to pump gas timing.

start with your pump gas timing map. increase off boost (vacuum to 0 psi) timing until there is no perceptible improvement in power and then back off 1-2 deg. tuning in boost is best done on the dyno so that power can be accurately monitored.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:55 AM

thank you mrfred! that was exactly what i was looking for clarification on. Do you think that i should set up a hot/cold map for e85? or since i do not really experience the extreme temp difference like you do it wouldn't be a must? i forgot to post but since i am running a v7 rom i was going to use my ALT map for 91 for emergency's. also planned on getting the fuel sensor down the road so i do not have to test every time i fill up.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by MrSquirr3l
thank you mrfred! that was exactly what i was looking for clarification on. Do you think that i should set up a hot/cold map for e85? or since i do not really experience the extreme temp difference like you do it wouldn't be a must? i forgot to post but since i am running a v7 rom i was going to use my ALT map for 91 for emergency's. also planned on getting the fuel sensor down the road so i do not have to test every time i fill up.
Hot/cold weather not really necessary unless dropping below 45F, and even then, the better way to deal with it is to adjust the air density map.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 08:05 PM

so i made the switch today and i have been adjusting the AFR's and they are almost there. im just having a slight leaning issues at part cruise and still need to richen up when under WOT. in the 2k-3krpm 35-60 load area. it gets lean(17-18 Gas AFR lean) i have kept my timing the same. using my hi-oct timing for right now. i burned my 91 gas all the way till the gas light came on added 3-4 gallons of E90 and started from there. burned that still the light came on again and filled up with E85. tomorrow i will start to add timing in the vac to 0 boost range first. then move to a dyno for the timing adjustments while in boost.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
If your plans include a turbo swap in the future I would advise you to upgrade your injectors now and dial them in on E85 on the OEM turbo. It will make tuning fueling much easier when you do swap your turbo out for something bigger and start raising the boost.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by cdrinkh2o
If your plans include a turbo swap in the future I would advise you to upgrade your injectors now and dial them in on E85 on the OEM turbo. It will make tuning fueling much easier when you do swap your turbo out for something bigger and start raising the boost.
this has been something i was wondering about for a little while now. i kinda wished i would have gone bigger than 880's when i got these injectors. when i upgraded i did not have E85 in mind. but i have some minor things to get done first before the turbo swap.
Old May 20, 2013, 08:04 PM

so this is the most to date to show what i have been working on. This is all in virtual dyno so the number are off just a little bit. My information is correct except maybe the car weight i might be off since i have not gotten the car weighed to have it perfect.

Green line is my car running 91oct@8-9psi putting ~189/174
Orange line is the switch to E85(with the messed up fuel pump grommet)@8-9psi putting ~216/223(dyno day i put down 211/216)*did not adjust timing from 91oct map
Blue line is E85(fixed the grommet)@~11psi putting ~254/254(*this is with adding 2 degrees of timing from 91oct map)
Red line is E85@~14.5psi putting ~287/311(*added 4 degrees timing from 91oct map)

Now i bumped it up the boost just to see what i could put down. I know i have some work to do with getting my fuel more steady across the board. So then i can really get into adjusting the timing.