Notices
ECU Flash

evoscan logger release

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2006, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MalibuJack how are you liking the ECU+? Since I am currently locked out of my ECU by the EcuTek software, I was thinking about trying the ECU+ to smooth out my timing.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 07:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Its FANTASTIC.. Since I only use it to make temporary changes (to test things before I commit them to flash) I use it primarily as a data logger, which is probably the best I've ever seen... However it has features that make getting a good idle on a car that has trouble with the MAF being stable at low airflow readings (Big turbo, big cams, that sort of thing) that make it worth the money alone.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
that make it worth the money alone.
What money? it's merely free
Old Jul 14, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

i cant log anything ask me for serial number what am i missing here.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

EvoScan is capable of reading the EFI, AYC and ABS computer...are those capabilities in place to read and reset SRS codes in the future?
Old Jul 14, 2006, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spooldyou
i cant log anything ask me for serial number what am i missing here.
Disregard....look on your other thread for answer.

Last edited by Evil_1; Jul 14, 2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Just downloaded EVOScan (and paid) along with ECUFlash....I have a feeling that my XEDE has exceeded its freshness date.

Took maybe five minutes to get the cable and software setup and then start logging my EVO's doings as it idled in the drive way. Pretty damn cool.

For $25 it isn't bad.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 08:00 PM
EvoM Guru

The XEDE is alot like the ECU+, It makes a good fine-tuning tool. In fact, Vishnu has been doing their Xede/Xedeflash combo for a long time, which is basically what any piggyback/reflash combo would be equivalent to.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:45 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mchuang
I think just 1 and it will pull timing.
Correct.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
The XEDE is alot like the ECU+, It makes a good fine-tuning tool. In fact, Vishnu has been doing their Xede/Xedeflash combo for a long time, which is basically what any piggyback/reflash combo would be equivalent to.
The biggest difference between the XEDE and ECU+ is the hardware and software.

The hardware on the XEDE is superior to the ECU+ and I would still be running my XEDE for datalogging if the software was any good. technically there is nothing wrong with the XEDE software. It does the job quite well. But from a design standpoint, the XEDE software was designed by electrical engineers for electrical engineers. Xmap takes a minimalist approach to the feature set to programming the XEDE leaving the logging capabilities with alot to be desired compared to ECU+

This was the primary reason for dumping the Xede for my ECU+. With ECUFlash, all I need the piggyback for is to data log my tuning.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
All you need is a wideband and knock buffer and you have all the logging you could ask for. I love my XEDE. I am always tossing in 110 octane on and with the flip of a switch I get my race gas map with stutter box and no lift to shift.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:50 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
All you need is a wideband and knock buffer and you have all the logging you could ask for. I love my XEDE. I am always tossing in 110 octane on and with the flip of a switch I get my race gas map with stutter box and no lift to shift.
Knocklink is crap... I have Evoscan, Mitsulogger and Knocklink.

Regardless of what the knocklink indicates, it is in no way in sync with the ECU. It may indicate knock, the ECU may see none. The ECU may see knock the Knocklink may not.

Waste of time...
Old Oct 28, 2006, 08:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
For what the Xede lacks in logging, I think Donour made a tool to do much better logging with it..

FWIW I'm pretty critical of the XEDE.. Not that it doesnt work well, but it wasn't purpose built for this type of work. The electronics are manufactured in the USA and the firmware is what Chiptorque developed for it. However I've done some research on it and its a powerful signal processor, but not quite designed for what its being used for. The ECU+ was designed specifically for what it does.. ANYWAY, Its a moot debate because both do the job very well, and I do like some of the features that the Xede offers, but I liked the features of the ECU+ better because logging is much more important than alot of bells and whistles, especially if your primary tuning is happening in the ECU itself.

(Sorry Jeff, Didn't mean to direct this to you, it was intended to answer a few questions)

Now, about the knock link, (and any external knock logging) the ECU **DOES NOT** use voltage alone to determine knock, the knock sensor is basically a microphone that registers different frequencies.. The output voltage can be used to determine overall noise, but its all inclusive and does not accurately represent what the ECU would see as knock. My experience with the ECU+ and the Knock sums is generally the voltage can spike, and it does correlate to some of the knock events, but not all as some cars are noisier than others.

The problem is, No external device will adequately tell you what is real knock or not.. Except your brain (listening to the engine) At least not until these devices are filtering different frequencies, and the R&D goes into determining what sounds are knock, engine noise, clicking from the lifters, etc..
Old Oct 28, 2006, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Umm, TTP and MJ, you guys should look at this. This is an overlay of the vishnu knock buffer reading knock the same time as EVOScan. The vishnu knock buffer is actully pretty good at reading knock.

The knocklink, on the other hand, is blah.

Old Oct 28, 2006, 02:20 PM
EvoM Guru

If its so great, why doesn't it detect the earlier knock sum? All its seeing is the "high noise" value of what is usually knock, but isn't always.. Its using some sort of threshold before it registers.. and honestly, its not bad, and not the worst thing, but its not going to be as accurate as the knock sum in the ECU, since that is where you have to watch.. I'd bet you might be chasing a timing problem for quite some time if you were getting small amounts of knock that affected your timing..

The KS and OCT number are invaluable tools for getting an insight into the ECU's behavior.. Whether or not the ECU's behavior is detecting real knock or not, it is the brain.. And attenuating the signal before it hits the ECU is not the right solution.