Notices
ECU Flash

evoscan logger release

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
If its so great, why doesn't it detect the earlier knock sum? All its seeing is the "high noise" value of what is usually knock, but isn't always.. Its using some sort of threshold before it registers.. and honestly, its not bad, and not the worst thing, but its not going to be as accurate as the knock sum in the ECU, since that is where you have to watch.. I'd bet you might be chasing a timing problem for quite some time if you were getting small amounts of knock that affected your timing..

The KS and OCT number are invaluable tools for getting an insight into the ECU's behavior.. Whether or not the ECU's behavior is detecting real knock or not, it is the brain.. And attenuating the signal before it hits the ECU is not the right solution.

It probably got the earlier KS, NJ just didnt plot it (not my log).

Hey, I use EVOScan and knock sums. I was just pointing out that the knock buffer is very accurate. Before EVOScan, I used the knock buffer on the user input of my Zeitronix and at the time, it WAS the best way to read knock.

****, Al logs just the knock voltage (unprocessed).
Old Oct 28, 2006, 02:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey I log the knock voltage with ECU+ all the time too, and your right, it does log the voltage spikes, however not every spike is knock, and not every low threshold isn't.. ya know? The factory ECU breaks up the noise into frequency ranges, and the knock filters are the thresholds that determine at what point, and at what frequency, and at what RPM, that this is considered knock...
Old Oct 28, 2006, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Hey I log the knock voltage with ECU+ all the time too, and your right, it does log the voltage spikes, however not every spike is knock, and not every low threshold isn't.. ya know? The factory ECU breaks up the noise into frequency ranges, and the knock filters are the thresholds that determine at what point, and at what frequency, and at what RPM, that this is considered knock...
YES I KNOW (the complication of how the ECU determins knock and about filters and such). I completely agree with you. EVOScan or your logger, are the best ways to tell if the ECU is seeing knock or knot .

I was just mentioning the knock buffers accuracy.

Last edited by Evo_Jay; Oct 28, 2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 03:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Point taken.. I just dispute what is being considered accuracy.. A huge noise spike registering as knock on the ECU and a Knock Buffer at the same time is definitely accurate, but its not precise..
Old Oct 28, 2006, 03:08 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only benefit is that it at least shares the same knock sensor input whereas the knocklink sensor is a separate sensor.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow a heated debate. I agree that the XEDE isn't the best thing out there right now but for $400 used you can get yourself a very powerful tuning tool.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 03:43 PM
EvoM Guru

LOL very true..
Old Feb 14, 2007, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do i need to pay for the EVO scan program?
Old Feb 14, 2007, 05:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Yes, you have to pay for Evoscan, its definitely worth the money, you do have other options though.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Feb 14, 2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Wow a heated debate. I agree that the XEDE isn't the best thing out there right now but for $400 used you can get yourself a very powerful tuning tool.
Anybody want one??? I got mine for sale!!! PM me an offer!
Old Feb 14, 2007, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the PLX R-500 and tapped into the factory knock sensor and you can use headphones to listen for knock. I can definitely tell when it knocks using headphones. Not too many people tune this way anymore though. I dont do it anymore because of Evoscan and Mitsulogger.