Old Oct 22, 2006, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool, bump for updates
Old Oct 22, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ralph
Can I get a second opinion on this ? Anyone know what Load you get at redline when running higher boost (22-23)?

My gauge doesnt sit at 0 at idle, crappy autometer. I'll glance at it tonight when I modify the map. Usually I'm too busy watching RPM XD Don't wanna bounce off the 7800 limiter for more than a second, if at all.
At 7218 rpm in 3rd gear I am seeing consistently ~208 and boost is ~17 psi....
Old Oct 22, 2006, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up Some definitive info on Mivec tuning

I spent about 4 hours on a buddy's dyno the other day and this is what i did.

I did a baseline run: 251 awhp (see chart)
Stock map with JDM RS Mivec: few more horse, boost sooner
Stock map with John's mivec in this thread: better than JDM RS
Stock map with radical mivec in this thread: not bad at all (see chart)

JDM map with RS mivec: more than with the stock map
JDM map with John's mivec: Little better still
JDM map with radical mivec: 273 awhp and boost about 700rpm sooner!! (see chart)

My setup: '06 RS BONE STOCK!!! No MBC, stock exhaust, stock intake and filter. I bought this car last week and have not changed a thing.

This is a dynapack dyno, the chart shows corrected hp and boost (yes dynapack can monitor boost!!).

The graphs look kinda crappy because i had to trace them with a pen to make them show up better on the scan. I didn't print all the runs, but the graphs below illustrate how sick mivec really is.

Right now i am running the JDM map with the radical mivec and stock USDM fuel map (until i get my wb installed and can do some proper tuning). It think with some tuning and a bleed valve, i can easily get to 300 awhp without an exhaust or any other motor mods.

The charts may look like they have a smaller difference betweent the two graphs, but note the scale of the charts, they are different, read the numbers, not the distance between the lines.

Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the map that gave you the 273hp, can you post that one up again
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
At 7218 rpm in 3rd gear I am seeing consistently ~208 and boost is ~17 psi....
I'm around 17~18 psi at 7700rpm in 3rd.. Load at 202-203
Old Oct 22, 2006, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...TunedMivec.png

Eficker, Is this the MIVEC map you are talking about? Or is it this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ain/Mivec2.png

If it is the second one, I have a newer generation map that makes better low end and (from the seat of the pants) feels better up top. IF you want it, let me know and I will email it to you.

I am curious about your radical MIVEC, care to share?

Last edited by JohnBradley; Oct 22, 2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

He means this one I think John..

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f28/ae86one/tune.jpg
Old Oct 22, 2006, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Thats the current MIVEC map I'm testing.. seems alright .
Old Oct 22, 2006, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...TunedMivec.png

Eficker, Is this the MIVEC map you are talking about? Or is it this one:

If it is the second one, I have a newer generation map that makes better low end and (from the seat of the pants) feels better up top. IF you want it, let me know and I will email it to you.

I am curious about your radical MIVEC, care to share?
John, Guerillah was right, that is the mivec map i am running. The 273 was made at a fairly high af (12's) as registered at the tailpipe, which is why I loaded the stock usdm fuel map once off the dyno.

Your map that i was using i believe was the second one.

Once i get a second, i'll install my wb and do some proper tuning. I will try any map you want to send over, as i have open access to the dyno and will probly be on again this week making some boost adjustments.

I dont think that the mivec affects boost taper as previously suggested since radical changes to mivec dont really affect boost except the spool time, which is improved.

I was pretty excited to make that kind of power on a stock JDM map with only a different mivec map. Cant wait to add some timing and boost and head for 300.

Last edited by eficker; Oct 22, 2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am curious about your radical MIVEC, care to share?[/QUOTE]

Which is the one you emailed me? I am about to play with it, thanks again for your help.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 04:11 PM

so from the stock mivec map to the 273hp aggresive map, most of the gain was from a leaner a/f ratio? or was the a/f the same between runs, the curves on the aggresive map are very simular to stock just more power leaving me to think the power was made because the a/f was just leaner

Last edited by cbrtrx; Oct 22, 2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cbrtrx
so from the stock mivec map to the 273hp aggresive map, most of the gain was from a leaner a/f ratio? or was the a/f the same between runs, the curves on the aggresive map are very simular to stock just more power leaving me to think the power was made because the a/f was just leaner
The first graph is stock for stock. The higher graph is a result of ONLY mivec changes. The second graph is stock vs the jdm map with aggressive mivec. So yes, i probably made a little more power due to a leaner af, but i also made runs with the JDM map with all three mivec maps, and the more aggressive the mivec, the more area under the curve, and the more top end power. Also, the sooner boost came on.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
The map that Guerillah posted that came as a custom tune (also has Impossible MIVEC) would have roughly the same low end MIVEC that I am currently testing. As I pointed out before the stock cam gear cant advance more than 30* so the 33* that that map is advanced is actually 30*. I will send over a couple of my maps, please PM me your email. The reason I asked is I have a dyno sheet that shows my MIVEC settings making peak power at over 7000, and I didnt see that in any of your posted dyno screens. By JDM map, do you mean the IX GSR or the IX RS?

HighPSI- You have the second one.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the test's and data Eficker.
How about doing a couple runs like.

all -9.6
all 0's
all 9.6
all 18.2
all 28.8
all 33
Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by eficker
The first graph is stock for stock. The higher graph is a result of ONLY mivec changes. The second graph is stock vs the jdm map with aggressive mivec. So yes, i probably made a little more power due to a leaner af, but i also made runs with the JDM map with all three mivec maps, and the more aggressive the mivec, the more area under the curve, and the more top end power. Also, the sooner boost came on.
can you please post up all three maps you ran with the same a/f as well, cause you posted that the aggresive map which has 0s up top made the highest power of the day, then you said that more advance in mivec makes more power down low and more power up top, im not concerned with spool up or midrange at all, im only focusing on peak power from 6k on up, so what im asking you is with all the mivec maps you tested with the same fuel map, what mivec map made the most peak hp from around 5.5k on up, johns map with the mivec advanced up top? or the other map were its all 0s, thank you

Quick Reply: MIVEC tuning