Notices
ECU Flash

MIVEC tuning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey john what other forum are you refering to about conversation on mivec tuning? if you dont want to say publicly you can pm me with it
Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Anden- PM sent

Currently the cam spec for the IX is reputed to be 268/260. I have no hard proof at this time other than word of mouth. The person in question has no reason to exaggerate, but it would explain why they respond so well to just a 272 exhaust cam, why even Turbotrix 272 intake cams idle like stock, and why GSC and Turbotrix have 280's.

Edit, included other cam makers that offer same results.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Jul 17, 2006 at 03:18 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Like I indicated elsewhere, do not use those advertised duration numbers in an attempt to compare cams from different makers!! They don't mean a doggone thing from one brand of cam to another, and that is why a Revolver "262" is a MUCH larger cam than a GSC 280. An HKS 272 is also a 'larger' cam (more lift and more effective duration) than a GSC 280, and probably explains why GSC 'went straight to a 280', as anything less from them was probably smaller than an HKS 264 and therefore too small to be worthwhile.

Last edited by Ted B; Jul 17, 2006 at 10:04 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

thanks john, private forum I see.

As soon as this heat wave passes I plan on doing some testing with a g-tech pro , evoscan and multiple mivec maps.

Last edited by andenbre; Jul 17, 2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Like I indicated elsewhere, do not use those advertised duration numbers in an attempt to compare cams from different makers!! They don't mean a doggone thing from one brand of cam to another, and that is why a Revolver "262" is a MUCH larger cam than a GSC 280. An HKS 272 is also a 'larger' cam (more lift and more effective duration) than a GSC 280, and probably explains why GSC 'went straight to a 280', as anything less from them was probably smaller than an HKS 264 and therefore too small to be worthwhile.
Not that I want this to stray to far off topic, BUT an old trick from the V8 world is to add 40 or 50 to (or vice versa subtract) to .050 numbers to see what "advertised" duration might be. Not always accurate (thus why its 40 or 50) but it gives you an idea of who is lying and who is telling the truth.

On topic- I have 2 other people using my current MIVEC map and both agree that it has made considerable improvement. I wont be able to get to the track till August 6th, so it will be a little while till I have concrete numbers. Has anyone else other than JCS and I been experimenting with upper rpm range tuning, that is willing to divulge?

EDIT-removed incorrect information

Last edited by JohnBradley; Jul 17, 2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 04:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Not that I want this to stray to far off topic, BUT Revolver measures cams @ .050, HKS and most other manufacturers measure at 1mm.
This is incorrect. The effective duration specs for Revolvers are 222 deg @ 1mm Int / 223 deg @ 1mm Exh. The 262/264 figures are indeed advertised duration.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 04:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
according to Crower the IX cams are 256°/248°

http://www.briancrower.com/makes/mit...g63_evo8.shtml
Old Jul 17, 2006, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
according to Crower the IX cams are 256°/248°

http://www.briancrower.com/makes/mit...g63_evo8.shtml
This is interesting information that I wish I had seen earlier. The "measured" factory cam specs in the cam spec thread were measured how then? They are a full 12* smaller than according to Crower. I now remember, that a LONG time ago when he was first releasing cams for the subaru and then the 4G63 that almost all specs he had encountered were @ 1mm.

Why then (since this is gonna WAY OFF TOPIC anyway) would he have posted advertised duration of 256/248 and @ .050 lift of 206* if the "272" that he sells is also 206*? Ramp rates are that much faster?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Not that I want this to stray to far off topic, BUT an old trick from the V8 world is to add 40 or 50 to (or vice versa subtract) to .050 numbers to see what "advertised" duration might be. Not always accurate (thus why its 40 or 50) but it gives you an idea of who is lying and who is telling the truth.

On topic- I have 2 other people using my current MIVEC map and both agree that it has made considerable improvement. I wont be able to get to the track till August 6th, so it will be a little while till I have concrete numbers. Has anyone else other than JCS and I been experimenting with upper rpm range tuning, that is willing to divulge?

EDIT-removed incorrect information
I have been running a MIVEC map that is based off of the JDM RS settings for lower/mid loads and yours on the upper loads. I have no way to give difinitve results other than feel. So far it feels as good as when I had the custom tune on it. I did notice that it seems I am getting full boost faster, and the taper is less than before. Again though, I have no way of logging the boost or any HP/TQ numbers. I do plan to try and use a g-tech this weekend to see if any changes in performance can be concrete.

Something else I noticed. The car is more "rumbley" at deceleration. Kinda like an srt-4, but not as many noticeable pops. If that makes any sense?

Girlie
Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Girlie-- I actually have noticed the same thing about increased and "different" sounding deceleration noise. Are you running the advanced settings that I had posted before or the newer ones reflecting the change in my tuning from the revelation that the map is in crank degrees not cam degrees?

I.e. post 24

Last edited by JohnBradley; Jul 17, 2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Re: EVO VIII cam specs, I have information from two sources: EVO Motorsports and Piper. The specs reported by each are very close, and more or less match the specs in the cam spec sticky. On the other hand, the specs reported by Brian Crower are markedly different, showing much less lift and duration. For the discrepancy of B. Crower's info, I have no explanation.

As for ramp rates, high performance aftermarket cams almost always have faster ramp rates than factory grinds. The Revolver set for example has very fast ramp rates.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Girlie-- I actually have noticed the same thing about increased and "different" sounding deceleration noise. Are you running the advanced settings that I had posted before or the newer ones reflecting the change in my tuning from the revelation that the map is in crank degrees not cam degrees?

I.e. post 24

Here is my MIVEC map I am currently running....

Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Re: EVO VIII cam specs, I have information from two sources: EVO Motorsports and Piper. The specs reported by each are very close, and more or less match the specs in the cam spec sticky. On the other hand, the specs reported by Brian Crower are markedly different, showing much less lift and duration. For the discrepancy of B. Crower's info, I have no explanation.

As for ramp rates, high performance aftermarket cams almost always have faster ramp rates than factory grinds. The Revolver set for example has very fast ramp rates.
Thank you for the research Ted.

I was confused by your last comment in the "other" thread. The LOL was sarcasm? I thought the PM from Mark might be enough info or maybe not. As you have probably figured out this is a nom de plume.

Messr. Crower's data doesnt seem to match anyone elses. What do you make of his identical @ .050 duration, yet different advertised rates?

Girlie--> You might find that everything that is 6.0 or 4.8 in my part of the MIVEC map(6500 and 7000 high load cell) "feels" better at 7.8 for and adjusted -1* intake cam timing (8/2=4...-5 + 4= -1)
Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

not to steal the thread but how are you's changing the mivec map? and loggin it??

is it the cable? i rember hearing about it but not sure if iam right? someone fill me in please thanks
Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Logging the whole pull with EVOscan, adjusting tuning via ECU Flash and Tactrix cable.

Quick Reply: MIVEC tuning