Notices
ECU Flash

Locked ECU's... Not anymore..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2006, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is the ECUFLASH working for you? Do you recommend this for your average tuner? Will you be able to get in to the parts of the ECU, eg.- that is Vin code changing, even add a key and the other 1/2 of the partitioned ECU?
Old Jul 16, 2006, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I'm not prepared to disclose all the details yet
TEASE!

This sub-forum has become my new home. It's great! However, I can't use any of the knowledge that I gain here on my own car. This is so frustrating.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 06:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MR. SNOW
How is the ECUFLASH working for you? Do you recommend this for your average tuner? Will you be able to get in to the parts of the ECU, eg.- that is Vin code changing, even add a key and the other 1/2 of the partitioned ECU?
It works great for me.. I have access to all the common parameters required to adequately tune the car.. Every day someone figures out something else, its only a matter of time before someone figures out how to alter/disable/modify CEL code triggers, etc..

As far as I know, the Vin code is not stored in the ECU, at least in the extracted Rom.. and the Immobilizer itself is what controls the keys, the code the immobilizer generates is matched to the ECU..

Eventually I can see the possibility of modifying the other attached devices that the MUT3 can modify.. But thats a ways off.

Tuning is partly art, partly common sense, and partly logic.. Anyone who has the patience and can take the time to do it right (don't rush into making drastic changes) and is willing to learn a little about these cars and how modifications affect ignition timing and fueling, can certainly do it.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 06:08 PM
EvoM Guru

It'll take some time, I have alot more work to do.. I'm not being a tease, just not putting out on the first date.. LOL
Old Jul 16, 2006, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

It'll take some time, I have alot more work to do.. I'm not being a tease, just not putting out on the first date.. LOL
Guess I can live with that. I don't want my ECU to get a virus or any kinda funky rash.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MJ, kinda ot but have you seen why the 05+ ecus do the "hang" throttle after a hard pull, I would love for some one to figure out how to disable that pos feature.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 06:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by zbomb
MJ, kinda ot but have you seen why the 05+ ecus do the "hang" throttle after a hard pull, I would love for some one to figure out how to disable that pos feature.
The only logical explanation is the ISCV (Idle Stepper Control Valve) maps.. Compare the settings with an 03, I think their different..
Old Jul 16, 2006, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not prepared to disclose all the details yet, But I have sucessfully extracted a locked ECU after a bit of testing and experimenting.
I believe the JDM Ralliart Evo IX ECUs are locked in that you can't read off them... is this what you are referring to?
Old Jul 16, 2006, 06:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by nvr2fast
I believe the JDM Ralliart Evo IX ECUs are locked in that you can't read off them... is this what you are referring to?
It should apply also.. I haven't tried that ECU yet though.. Once I have my bench harness working 100% I'm going to build another for the IX ecu header
Old Jul 16, 2006, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

It works great for me.. I have access to all the common parameters required to adequately tune the car.. Every day someone figures out something else, its only a matter of time before someone figures out how to alter/disable/modify CEL code triggers, etc..

As far as I know, the Vin code is not stored in the ECU, at least in the extracted Rom.. and the Immobilizer itself is what controls the keys, the code the immobilizer generates is matched to the ECU..

Eventually I can see the possibility of modifying the other attached devices that the MUT3 can modify.. But thats a ways off.

Tuning is partly art, partly common sense, and partly logic.. Anyone who has the patience and can take the time to do it right (don't rush into making drastic changes) and is willing to learn a little about these cars and how modifications affect ignition timing and fueling, can certainly do it.
The vin is stored in the ECU for the 06 ECU. It would be nice to have all the controls of the MUTIII, Like ACD or ABS Pump controls, it would make bleeding brakes and the ACD very easy. I would also like to have all the other mut features on the flash

Originally Posted by zbomb
This is a feature I want to know about controling

The only logical explanation is the ISCV (Idle Stepper Control Valve) maps.. Compare the settings with an 03, I think their different..
ECUTEK was supposed to have control over this. A ECUTEK program person can comment about this.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Though I am not commenting on how to control it, I have been told its partly for rev matching and (I dont believe this half myself) partly for emissions. Audi's do it as well.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 07:00 AM
EvoM Guru

The vin is stored in the ECU for the 06 ECU. It would be nice to have all the controls of the MUTIII, Like ACD or ABS Pump controls, it would make bleeding brakes and the ACD very easy. I would also like to have all the other mut features on the flash
I'll have to do a search for a known VIN in a car I have access to in their rom to see if its in the main rom, or some ancillary component that we don't have access to at the moment.

THere are some cars that have their VIN# embedded in their ECU's, BMW is one I can think of offhand and shows up on my professional OBD-II Scantools.. My evo, and all the other "Pre-IX" Evo's definitely didn't have any Vin embedded.. I'm actually not surprised since OBD-II inspection testing probably would require that data now to avoid someone scamming the system with a workaround.

This is OT for this thread though.. I'll ask someone locally with an IX to take a look at it..
Old Jul 17, 2006, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THere are some cars that have their VIN# embedded in their ECU's, BMW is one I can think of offhand and shows up on my professional OBD-II Scantools.. My evo, and all the other "Pre-IX" Evo's definitely didn't have any Vin embedded.. I'm actually not surprised since OBD-II inspection testing probably would require that data now to avoid someone scamming the system with a workaround.
Yeah, the VIN is one of the OBD-II required PIDs, so it's got to be in there somewhere. I can't located my copy of J1979 at the moment, otherwise I'd cite a page.

EDIT: found it. SAE J1979-2002, p.153. It appears to be optional to provide electronic access to the VIN.

donour

Last edited by donour; Jul 17, 2006 at 07:37 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

It would be nice to have all the controls of the MUTIII, Like ACD or ABS Pump controls, it would make bleeding brakes and the ACD very easy. I would also like to have all the other mut features on the flash.
So, Just wanted to quote my self, the above are locked paramaters can we access them? Who knows how?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:29 AM
EvoM Guru

So, Just wanted to quote my self, the above are locked paramaters can we access them? Who knows how?
Those aren't locked parameters, their actually in control units outside the ECU.. as more is figured out with logging data, its likely that those settings would be able to be altered.. But its unrelated to this information.

Quick Reply: Locked ECU's... Not anymore..